Mostly “Fire Geoff Collins”, some reminiscing, maybe bourbon or other distractions

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I’d love to have CCG right about now (never thought I’d say that)
The two biggest mistakes GT made in the last 25 years were hiring Braine and firing Gailey, although I was in favor of firing him at the time. Braine spent the money Homer RIce left behind, and we've had financial issues ever since.

Gailey was a good head coach but a poor offensive coordintor at the college level. He only made $1.3 MM/year. We could have afforded to hire a top notch OC for $1 MM/year. $2.3 MM is where Johnson started, so it would have been the same amount of money.

gt02

Ramblin' Wreck
The coaching on offense is actually pretty good, and I'll support a stat-- and not and just opinion--to support that view.

This offense is No.44 in yards per play. By comparison, in Johnson's last year, we were No. 41. When you consider that we don't have the players we need on the O-line or at tight end, the staff has done a pretty good job with what they have to work with. I have to say that I am surprised by the No. 44 ranking.

The problem is clearly on defense. We are No. 106 in yards per play. Our talent is better than 106. Staff changes have to be made on that side of the ball. And before people start, Collins is the head coach, not the DC. It's Thacker et al who need to be leading the improvement on D. That's what they are paid for.

Stansbury needs to come up with $$$ to hire some new coaching talent on D.
My problem with P has been his situational play calling, which I guess is easy to criticize with anyone with the benefit of hindsight. And I don’t think he does the best job adjusting. But statistically our defense has stunk, although this weekend they did enough to keep us in the game through turnovers. Offense couldn’t make a play when we needed it.

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
It seems like I have been reading for three years now from posters that the problem is our offensive line and that is why we have struggled. Can we move on from that argument? It is tedious.

The problem is deeper. Losing several minutes off the clock every game because of poor clock management is not the fault of the OL. Missing open receivers is not the fault of the OL. Most of the penalties and fumbles had nothing to do with the OL. Giving up over 500 yards in offense to the other team is not the OL. Players out of position or poor effort is not the OL. Head scratching play calling is not the fault of the OL. Most of the missed field goals the last 3 years, and especially this year, were not because of the OL.

There are plenty of teams with poor OL that win more than 3 games.

I am seriously not trying to dump on CGC. I STILL want him to stick around and pull this program out of the fire. But if people need the catharsis of analyzing why things are so dreadful let’s at least not come up with simplistic answers like “it’s because of the guys we have on the OL.” Remember it was last year that CGC was bragging about how much taller, heavier and better our OL was than what he inherited.

Let’s just win another couple of games this year and maybe the pitchfork mob will settle back down for a while.
regarding your last remark....."let's just win another couple of games...." like which two can we win Dude? Seriously, which two?

Jmonty71

Banned
Moral victories are fine once in a while, but week after week they get old.
To add, we're doing moral victories for games that we should of won. Having moral victories against the likes of ND and ugag, yes.... Moral victories against NIU? No.......

Jmonty71

Banned
I think the program went backwards, since Johnson left. Sad part is, people are still blaming Johnson and more worse, people believe the crap, 3 years later. At what point does Collins actually take responsibility? I grow tired of the same rhetoric, after each game. At this point, its a useless meaningless narrative. I don't think Collins has any football sense. I think he rode the coattails of better coaches, for years. He has not shown me one single thing, to give me hope, as a fan. Until he does, my opinion will not change.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I actually don’t think anyone (coordinators) gets fired at the end of this year. If someone does, it’s a concession that the coaching is not up to par, and that major improvement better happen in next year or so. And I don’t think that is the message we are going to send CGC. Once we send that message, if the product doesn’t improve we have to fire CGC. Given our financial condition, that is just not realistic.
We're not going to improve by sticking our heads in the sand. If Collins doesn't get a new DC at minimum, we're going to continue the spiral down and Collins' firing will then be inevitable, realistic or not. If we have another season like the last three, keeping him would be a greater liability than firing him in every sense, including financially.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
They could make it a joint endeavor. Sort of like when God said to Moses, "Come, let us reason together".

Once an AD hires a HC, other than providing funds, he needs to be hands off. When the AD gets involved, it's time for the coach to go. If TStan starts dictating to CGC, then every future HC candidate out there is going to take notice.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Once an AD hires a HC, other than providing funds, he needs to be hands off. When the AD gets involved, it's time for the coach to go. If TStan starts dictating to CGC, then every future HC candidate out there is going to take notice.
They can't just work together on it? Sounds ridiculous to me. After three seasons like we've had, I doubt an AD stepping in to lend a gentle guiding hand is going to scare away any coach worth his salt.

cthenrys

Ramblin' Wreck
I think a lot of HC candidates would be confident they could outperform our current one and avoid the situation

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
They can't just work together on it? Sounds ridiculous to me. After three seasons like we've had, I doubt an AD stepping in to lend a gentle guiding hand is going to scare away any coach worth his salt.

I think a lot of HC candidates would be confident they could outperform our current one and avoid the situation

That's not how this business works. People don't generally choose to work for micromanagers in the real world. Coaching is no different.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
I think the program went backwards, since Johnson left. Sad part is, people are still blaming Johnson and more worse, people believe the crap, 3 years later. At what point does Collins actually take responsibility? I grow tired of the same rhetoric, after each game. At this point, its a useless meaningless narrative. I don't think Collins has any football sense. I think he rode the coattails of better coaches, for years. He has not shown me one single thing, to give me hope, as a fan. Until he does, my opinion will not change.
If there's a silver lining, it's in the recruiting. But if things keep on as they are, that isn't going to last much longer.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
That's not how this business works. People don't generally choose to work for micromanagers in the real world. Coaching is no different.
How could you call him a "micromanager" for stepping in after three years of wandering in the wilderness? Sheesh, we pay the guy more than Saban in $$ per win and you can't suggest he look for a new DC and help guide his choice? You know, it doesn't have to be done publicly. Give me a break.

Animal02

Banned
Too many still believe all the problems will be solved by "recruiting" If recruiting was the miracle maker of winning seasons, FSU and another ten schools missing from the ranking would be right up there year after year.

Animal02

Banned
Any coach worth his salt would know he could produce a better product that what has been delivered the last 3 years.

bobongo

Helluva Engineer
Any coach worth his salt would know he could produce a better product that what has been delivered the last 3 years.
Absolutely. And if a coach were scared off by that, I wouldn't want him anyway.
I would bet conversations are going on already between AD and HC about what can be done to improve the team, including new assistants. There's nothing new about it.

Augusta_Jacket

Staff member
How could you call him a "micromanager" for stepping in after three years of wandering in the wilderness? Sheesh, we pay the guy more than Saban in $$ per win and you can't suggest he look for a new DC and help guide his choice? You know, it doesn't have to be done publicly. Give me a break.

I am giving you a break. I haven't even begun to detail how stupid this idea is.