Most successful ACC teams poll (last 10 years)

who’s had more success?

• GT

Votes: 62 69.7%
  • Duke

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Louisville

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • Miami

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • UNC

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pitt

• Virginia

• BC

• NC State

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • WF

• Total voters
Hmmm. I've been to their stadium. It's pretty terrible. They also play in front of less than 20K of their own fans regularly. They are also in a state that produces far less talent and they share that state with 4 other schools in the same conference. Their history is abysmal yet Cutcliffe has that program poised for a solid season while we are arguing about the expectations of our program after 3 of 4 season in the gutter.

Bringing up Alabama and Georgia in these arguments is foolish and anyone that thinks we will compete with them regularly just simply doesn't understand collegiate football. But falling behind the North Carolina schools and losing to the USF's and Pitt's of the world at the rate we are losing to them is what is embarrassing and needs to stop. Resources are not just funds or staff which I for the record want to see improve as much as anybody. Heck, we lost a recruit to NC STate that is out Ga and has a brother on this team just because of the style offense we run. At some point we have to bring in talent and Johnson just flat out is not the man to do it no matter how much money you give him.

Agreed. The "We need more resources!" argument is woefully inadequate in explaining why we can't get a PK who can make a PAT onto our campus, when places like Troy St and Grambling can.

Jacketman1

Ramblin' Wreck
Can we vote on which of those 10 teams is the worst right now, results would be the same.
Louisville beat a top 5 team on College Gameday and had a QB win the Heisman, both of those got them more respect than anything Paul has done.
So beating a top 5 team once is better than making the Orange Bowl twice, winning it one of those times, and beating ugag? GT beat #5 Clemson at home in 2011, and they were a lot better than that FSU team was.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
So beating a top 5 team once is better than making the Orange Bowl twice, winning it one of those times, and beating ugag? GT beat #5 Clemson at home in 2011, and they were a lot better than that FSU team was.
The 2016 Louisville run generated more hype and press for their program than anything Johnson has done yes.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The 2016 Louisville run generated more hype and press for their program than anything Johnson has done yes.
That’s not the point though, this thread isn’t about “hype” around a program. It’s about what the program has done over the past 10 years. GT has had more big time wins, FSU, Clemson, and UGA all when highly ranked. 2 orange bowl appearances with 1 win over highly ranked Miss St. more conference championships as well.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
The problem with this question is that we extend back 10 years to ignore what's been going on the past four (including this year). On the path we're going we might be at the bottom of this list if the same question is asked in five years. Gotta fix it...

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
That’s not the point though, this thread isn’t about “hype” around a program. It’s about what the program has done over the past 10 years. GT has had more big time wins, FSU, Clemson, and UGA all when highly ranked. 2 orange bowl appearances with 1 win over highly ranked Miss St. more conference championships as well.
Success isn’t just about wins, if that’s the case how is Louisville worse than a team that went 6-7, 7-7, 3-9, 5-6?

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Success isn’t just about wins, if that’s the case how is Louisville worse than a team that went 6-7, 7-7, 3-9, 5-6?
“Hype” is not success, it’s just a sense of “feel good” which can easily fade away. I guess when I said success when creating the thread I should have said on field, which if you’d rather have a better winning percentage (barley) over conference championships, orange bowl appearances and a win, and wins over highly ranked UGA, FSU, Clemson, and Miss st then so be it, but I’d take those up years over a consistent average team that hasn’t had those accomplishments as much. Also why did you cherry pick a few seasons? Why not give the good records as well, or show Louisville’s bad season? This is about the full 10 years. BTW over the past 10 years Louisville has had some bad seasons as well, 5-7, 4-8, 7-6, and 7-6. Theve has 6 seasons of 8 or more wins (same as GT) theve won 1 and had just 1 New Years 6 bowl games, GT has had 2, we’ve also had more conference championships. The reason I give GT more success is because of the “bigger” games won, besides that they are pretty even. I just don’t get allowing bad seasons for GT to over ride good seasons and then using bad seasons against GT but not even mentioning the bad seasons of the other team you are comparing them to. I get we all have our opinions though, we just obviously see it differently no big deal. I think we both want the same thing, and that’s wins.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
The problem with this question is that we extend back 10 years to ignore what's been going on the past four (including this year). On the path we're going we might be at the bottom of this list if the same question is asked in five years. Gotta fix it...
That’s not the problem at all, the thread was made because some act as if GT has been just this awful team under CPJ and will go back many years to use a bad record but won’t do the same to show a good record. That’s not everyone, and I understand the “now” group which I have no issue with, my issue is when people want to cherry pick seasons from years ago.

SteamWhistle

Helluva Engineer
Tech is worse off now than it was 10 years ago, If TStan would’ve arrived 10 years ago who knows where Tech would be right now. In another 10 years I think another thread like this will hold serious weight, but for right now GT is in a self dug hole and needs to continue to crawl out like they have since TStan has been here.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer

Exactly. This is a "what have you done for me lately" business.