Moses Wright next year

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
I really agree with this. Thinking about Pastner's past rotations he has had short benches so idk if that goes away but you have PG) Jose/Shembari/Devoe, SG) Devoe/Shembari/CGB, SF) Okogie/CGB/Moore, PF) Wright/Cole/Sjound/(Moore maybe if we go small), C)AD/Ogbonda/Wright

I don't think we should really expect to see a lot of Moses next year unless we get hit with something unforeseen again. I think it is pretty evident that Cole is ahead of him right now and I really really like K. Moore's tape. You are starting to see more shooting from him the more videos come out. Whether or not he is a good shooter is still unknown to me. He is shooting 100% in the videos i have seen but he is going to compete with Moses for whatever time is leftover from AD/Cole and potentially Okogie. I dont think it is outside the realm of possibilities to see some situations where Jose/Devoe/CGB/JoshO are on the floor together, especially given Okogies rebounding ability.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Moses averages +10ppg next year...
people up here are gonna really be eating their words next season. The kid has heart, you can't take that away. He just lost his confidence down the stretch and not to mention nerves going into the ACC tournament. All he needs is a bit of TLC this offseason... WATCH!

Gtbowhunter90

In Black Bear Country
Contributing Writer
I love watching Moses... idc how many airballs he threw up from the 3. For a kid who only played Varsity ball for like, a year, he showed flashes.. he has a strong body and his aggressive nature can really come in handy when teams are worn down. Bring him in to get inside, block shots and grab rebounds. AD/Moses... #FILTHY

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I agree @Gtbowhunter90. Tbh I don't even think we need grad transfers or anything. I feel like Evan cole has proven to be serviceable at the 4. Moses has even shown that he can run 3-5 and guard 1-5 ( Not many ACC freshman who can guard 1-5). I feel like having AD at the 5, and having cole and wright at 3/4 you allow yourself to run an uptempo offense. We were not able to do that this year because BL wasn't able to go uptempo. I feel like we will have a different offensive identity next year. Can't wait!

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
Well he was clearly exposed in that UCLA game. I dont think I would call out the insider because of Moses's performance. The staff did in fact like MW enough to start him against a top 25 team to open the season.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
I don't think we should really expect to see a lot of Moses next year unless we get hit with something unforeseen again. I think it is pretty evident that Cole is ahead of him right now and I really really like K. Moore's tape. You are starting to see more shooting from him the more videos come out. Whether or not he is a good shooter is still unknown to me. He is shooting 100% in the videos i have seen but he is going to compete with Moses for whatever time is leftover from AD/Cole and potentially Okogie. I dont think it is outside the realm of possibilities to see some situations where Jose/Devoe/CGB/JoshO are on the floor together, especially given Okogies rebounding ability.

I think who plays between Cole and Wright will be determined by who develops more in the off season and who fits better in what we try to do next year. Cole is ahead of Wright offensively but imo Wright is ahead of Cole defensively. In particular I think Moses is more suited for defending down low. While I expect AD to be the 5 on offense, we saw last year that Pastner liked to switch him onto wings at times to try and be disruptive. I can't see us doing that much with Cole, but I could see us doing it with Wright. Also, if we go small, I really can't see us having Cole at the 5 on the defensive end.

Offensively Cole would be a better fit unless we go to a super up tempo style, but with us having Jose, Devoe, Okogie, Haywood, and Gueye, I very much see us looking at the 4 spot more for defense and rebounding rather than offense.

Either way I expect both to play quite a bit and it to be more of a match up thing about who plays more. Also, with AD's foul issues I expect wills ee both on teh court together a fair bit.

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I think who plays between Cole and Wright will be determined by who develops more in the off season and who fits better in what we try to do next year. Cole is ahead of Wright offensively but imo Wright is ahead of Cole defensively. In particular I think Moses is more suited for defending down low. While I expect AD to be the 5 on offense, we saw last year that Pastner liked to switch him onto wings at times to try and be disruptive. I can't see us doing that much with Cole, but I could see us doing it with Wright. Also, if we go small, I really can't see us having Cole at the 5 on the defensive end.

Offensively Cole would be a better fit unless we go to a super up tempo style, but with us having Jose, Devoe, Okogie, Haywood, and Gueye, I very much see us looking at the 4 spot more for defense and rebounding rather than offense.

Either way I expect both to play quite a bit and it to be more of a match up thing about who plays more. Also, with AD's foul issues I expect wills ee both on teh court together a fair bit.
Sjolund is a dark horse imo to start by the end of the year if not play significant minutes at the 4. He was our first commit so Pastner clearly liked him and I think he is the type of player Pastner is looking for in a 4. He is a legit 6'8"+ and he can stroke it. Defense maybe an issue idk haven't watched enough of him and defense is watching a full game, but also a little worried about release point even at 6'8" he drops the ball when he shoots.

coolhaji33

Jolly Good Fellow
Well he was clearly exposed in that UCLA game. I dont think I would call out the insider because of Moses's performance. The staff did in fact like MW enough to start him against a top 25 team to open the season.
That was his first college game...playing way up in comp...starting...minus there catalysts...in China.He's going to score it from everywhere and impact on the glass,on the baseline,in the high post,behind the arc,in transition,in the passing lanes while rim protecting playing with ferocity.Ditto for Evan...

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Sjolund is a dark horse imo to start by the end of the year if not play significant minutes at the 4. He was our first commit so Pastner clearly liked him and I think he is the type of player Pastner is looking for in a 4. He is a legit 6'8"+ and he can stroke it. Defense maybe an issue idk haven't watched enough of him and defense is watching a full game, but also a little worried about release point even at 6'8" he drops the ball when he shoots.

More often than not, I think it's fair to assume a true frosh is going to be a liability defensively. That could be due to lack of strength, speed of the game, want-to, AAU, new scheme in college, or all of the above.

The exceptions to that rule seem to be those who come in with a publicized/known aptitude on that end of the court. E.g., Alvarado had some pub for being a menace and averaged 1.7 steals/game in his true freshman campaign (and even he had some obvious adjusting to do on D in knowing where to be).

With Sjolund it feels like his "rep" is as a shooter and can maybe facilitate out of the 4 or 5. We haven't heard much about him in general let alone on D, and so we may be pleasantly surprised about his D, but my guess is he's not a 3point sniping AND ball hawking/shot blocking/get in your grill prospect. My hope for that end of the court is that he arrives with good fundamentals and more importantly is coachable, and so far in observing one class I think CJP has shown he is finding those types of guys.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We'll see on both Evan and Moses. Both need alot of work to be legit ACC contributors though Evan is closer right now than Moses.

Evan definitely got more comfortable and more productive as he got more time. Moses sort of went the other way.
I'm not counting on either being a major contributor next season though both will play some.

i had this discussion with Jumpman at the time and still feel the same way. I think the staff got a little blinded by Moses' athleticism. From the first game I made mention that regardless of who they thought should start that AD should be starting at the 4, not Moses as AD was further along at that point - though at some point in the future he could potentially pass him.

Evan wasn't a factor at the beginning of the year as he missed all but three or four of the pre-season practices. So he started well behind.

Right now Moses simply makes too many mistakes on the court at both ends to play alot.

I do not expect Sjolund to be a starter next season, love his long term though. From the film i've seen I don't think he will be ready defensively as a FR.

My hope with Moses is that he does develop over the next couple of years and doesn't become Darryl Barnes Pt2.

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
We'll see on both Evan and Moses. Both need alot of work to be legit ACC contributors though Evan is closer right now than Moses.

Evan definitely got more comfortable and more productive as he got more time. Moses sort of went the other way.
I'm not counting on either being a major contributor next season though both will play some.

i had this discussion with Jumpman at the time and still feel the same way. I think the staff got a little blinded by Moses' athleticism. From the first game I made mention that regardless of who they thought should start that AD should be starting at the 4, not Moses as AD was further along at that point - though at some point in the future he could potentially pass him.

Evan wasn't a factor at the beginning of the year as he missed all but three or four of the pre-season practices. So he started well behind.

Right now Moses simply makes too many mistakes on the court at both ends to play alot.

I do not expect Sjolund to be a starter next season, love his long term though. From the film i've seen I don't think he will be ready defensively as a FR.

My hope with Moses is that he does develop over the next couple of years and doesn't become Darryl Barnes Pt2.

Interesting you mentioning AD at the 4. I’d be interested in hearing How do you feel about that now having seen what transpired when Ben and AD were on the floor together and why they seemed unable to co-exist. Was that a Lammers injury thing or a coaching/scheme thing

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think you could not play Lammers and AD effectively together and play the high post cutting offense. Having AD in the low post gummed up the lane for the cutters.
If you had shooters it could have worked. You could have had Lammers in the high post, AD in the low post and shooters around them. Force the defense to react to Ben and AD and then have open looks on the perimeter. The fact Lammers couldn't shoot his jumper for most of the season really hurt as well. If he was shooting the mid range jumper like last year than you could also have done the high-low post offense.

I think they did it partly because as Lammers was sort of a shell of himself for alot of the season, AD was the only one that was producing points among the bigs.
Cole and Moses weren't ready to play earlier in the season - Pastner mentioned that after one of the early ACC contests that he would not put them in because they weren't practicing hard enough and didn't understand yet how much effort you have to give.

I still think AD was a better choice from the get go than Moses. Moses right now has no real skill level and mediocre at best hands (possibly due to needing strength). They tried to play AD as a stretch 4 early and that didn't work really well, but once they put him on the block he was much better. Watching him in warmups, he has the best post game on the team. Easily the best footwork in the post.

Moses needs to be developed as a slashing 3/4 combo forward - sort of like Muhammad was. Nothing in Moses' numbers suggest he will be effective on the perimeter. 30% FG, 6% 3FG, 54% FT. All those suggest a poor shooter. Ballhandling is below avg as well. If he actually turns into a solid shooter that will be a huge bonus.

I do think to their credit, the staff was constantly trying to modify the offense based on who they had available and what they were capable of doing it. Some things worked, some didn't. Even with all the injuries and strange lineups the offense was a fair bit better than year one. Going from OEff of 100 and 259th overall to Oeff of 104.2 and 192nd overall. The big issue was a big change in defensive efficiency. That should have been expected to some extent with alot of young players, but the injuries made it worse. Losing Heath and Heywood cost you little on offense - if anything it was a net gain, but defensively they did really well. Tad was always an indifferent defender which is disappointing as he had the skills to be a really good one. JoshO is a mediocre defender. Not horrible but not great either. Lammers getting hurt also has a negative impact as his rim protection was a much lower level than last year. It was obvious he did not have the same lateral motion.

I'm really interested to see what offense they run next season because I think it will be different than alot of the last 2 yrs. Probably closer to what they were running in Jan when AD was getting alot of touches, but more uptempo and with more players capable of shooting. That type of offense should help Moses some though. The couple of big games he had early was him running and overwhelming less athletic players near the basket. So upping the tempo and having multiple guards that can make passes should help him.

I think Cole will continue to improve at a nice stead pace and develop into a solid rotation type player by his JR yr. The form on his shot looks solid (he hit 33% 3FG in ACC games, not great but not awful). He was getting more aggressive late in the ACC season, but his strength is not near what it needs to be. He plays smart, doesn't make a ton of mistakes.

Looking forward to turning the page to next season,

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
I think you could not play Lammers and AD effectively together and play the high post cutting offense. Having AD in the low post gummed up the lane for the cutters.
If you had shooters it could have worked. You could have had Lammers in the high post, AD in the low post and shooters around them. Force the defense to react to Ben and AD and then have open looks on the perimeter. The fact Lammers couldn't shoot his jumper for most of the season really hurt as well. If he was shooting the mid range jumper like last year than you could also have done the high-low post offense.

I think they did it partly because as Lammers was sort of a shell of himself for alot of the season, AD was the only one that was producing points among the bigs.
Cole and Moses weren't ready to play earlier in the season - Pastner mentioned that after one of the early ACC contests that he would not put them in because they weren't practicing hard enough and didn't understand yet how much effort you have to give.

I still think AD was a better choice from the get go than Moses. Moses right now has no real skill level and mediocre at best hands (possibly due to needing strength). They tried to play AD as a stretch 4 early and that didn't work really well, but once they put him on the block he was much better. Watching him in warmups, he has the best post game on the team. Easily the best footwork in the post.

Moses needs to be developed as a slashing 3/4 combo forward - sort of like Muhammad was. Nothing in Moses' numbers suggest he will be effective on the perimeter. 30% FG, 6% 3FG, 54% FT. All those suggest a poor shooter. Ballhandling is below avg as well. If he actually turns into a solid shooter that will be a huge bonus.

I do think to their credit, the staff was constantly trying to modify the offense based on who they had available and what they were capable of doing it. Some things worked, some didn't. Even with all the injuries and strange lineups the offense was a fair bit better than year one. Going from OEff of 100 and 259th overall to Oeff of 104.2 and 192nd overall. The big issue was a big change in defensive efficiency. That should have been expected to some extent with alot of young players, but the injuries made it worse. Losing Heath and Heywood cost you little on offense - if anything it was a net gain, but defensively they did really well. Tad was always an indifferent defender which is disappointing as he had the skills to be a really good one. JoshO is a mediocre defender. Not horrible but not great either. Lammers getting hurt also has a negative impact as his rim protection was a much lower level than last year. It was obvious he did not have the same lateral motion.

I'm really interested to see what offense they run next season because I think it will be different than alot of the last 2 yrs. Probably closer to what they were running in Jan when AD was getting alot of touches, but more uptempo and with more players capable of shooting. That type of offense should help Moses some though. The couple of big games he had early was him running and overwhelming less athletic players near the basket. So upping the tempo and having multiple guards that can make passes should help him.

I think Cole will continue to improve at a nice stead pace and develop into a solid rotation type player by his JR yr. The form on his shot looks solid (he hit 33% 3FG in ACC games, not great but not awful). He was getting more aggressive late in the ACC season, but his strength is not near what it needs to be. He plays smart, doesn't make a ton of mistakes.

Looking forward to turning the page to next season,
Z
I take everything you say about moses with a grain of salt imo... no real skill? Nah, just nah

D-man44

Helluva Engineer
I'm looking for big things on the defensive end from Okogie next year. If he wants to improve his draft stock he needs to show he can utilize his wingspan on defense and knockdown 3s. His calling card as an NBA prospect is as a defender.

MiracleWhips

Ramblin' Wreck
Z
I take everything you say about moses with a grain of salt imo... no real skill? Nah, just nah
Forgot who mentioned it earlier but moses had to take those 3s this year he just could never knock them down. He was shooting around 3 a game. He had to in order to keep the defense honest. Say what you want offensively he struggled down the stretch but he managed the things that he could, played good defense, and rebounded the ball. Hell he even snuck 2/3 assists here and there. Ball handling below average? I think those TOs you just saw were a little bit of freshman nerves. Hopefully he puts in the work in the offseason and the game will slow down for him. I see him being an 10&7 type of guy next year. Just my opinion