Moses Wright ACC Player of the Week

Deleted member 2897

It never gets old bringing it up again that this guy didn’t play basketball until his senior year. We all but got laughed at for giving him a scholarship.

Moses is a great guy, practices hard, is always willing to learn, and isn’t scared of anybody. A bunch of 5-stars the other night, and he dribbled at them and dunked the ball in their face over and over. His dunk scream is fire too!

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
There were several on this board that were hard on Moses in his first 2 years. He did take too many 3 pointers and made some questionable plays but you could see the effort he put in each game. It goes to show that our player development program combined with a willing player can yield results. Congratulations to Moses on this recognition and let's hope this isn't the last award for him this season.

JacketRacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It never gets old bringing it up again that this guy didn’t play basketball until his senior year. We all but got laughed at for giving him a scholarship.

Moses is a great guy, practices hard, is always willing to learn, and isn’t scared of anybody. A bunch of 5-stars the other night, and he dribbled at them and dunked the ball in their face over and over. His dunk scream is fire too!
CJP has proven to be amazing at developing bigs, but Wright has really impressed me on the improvement in offense this year (who would have predicted he'd be our leading scorer over the first few games?). Going to be a fun team to watch.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
It never gets old bringing it up again that this guy didn’t play basketball until his senior year.

But this isn't true. He played JV ball his first two years in highschool then for a homeschool. He played one year of varsity but he didn't start basketball his senior year.

Anyways, Moses came in with all the raw tools and has worked extremely hard to refine his game. The play that really stood out against Kentucky, in a sea of good plays for him, was a drive where he drove from the top of the key did a behind the back crossover before crossing back to beat his man to the hoop. He probably could have been called for a carry but it was a smooth play for a guy who hasn't always been smooth with the dribble. That was probably his best all around game. 21 points on 64% shooting, 100% from FT, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 steals, 3 assists and just one turnover. Plus, after picking up to quick fouls he played great defense and avoided fouls for almost the entire rest of the game.

iopjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
There were several on this board that were hard on Moses in his first 2 years. He did take too many 3 pointers and made some questionable plays but you could see the effort he put in each game. It goes to show that our player development program combined with a willing player can yield results. Congratulations to Moses on this recognition and let's hope this isn't the last award for him this season.

The opinion of Moses has gone from "Why in the World did we recruit him." to "How will we replace him when he leaves?" Great athletic progress and effort by Moses and his coaches.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

I was going to post something similar to this last night. I actually went back to old posts...and oh boy some the posters on here lol. Saw an old posts of mine that said how some of our fans don't appreciate Moses enough. That has certainly changed. Moses is easily our best player this year and if some of us don't appreciate him now, GT just doesn't deserve nice things.

Deleted member 2897

But this isn't true. He played JV ball his first two years in highschool then for a homeschool. He played one year of varsity but he didn't start basketball his senior year.

Anyways, Moses came in with all the raw tools and has worked extremely hard to refine his game. The play that really stood out against Kentucky, in a sea of good plays for him, was a drive where he drove from the top of the key did a behind the back crossover before crossing back to beat his man to the hoop. He probably could have been called for a carry but it was a smooth play for a guy who hasn't always been smooth with the dribble. That was probably his best all around game. 21 points on 64% shooting, 100% from FT, 8 rebounds, 3 blocks, 2 steals, 3 assists and just one turnover. Plus, after picking up to quick fouls he played great defense and avoided fouls for almost the entire rest of the game.

I guess it depends on your definition of playing basketball. I didn't mean to imply he had never held a basketball in his hand. No doubt he had played in all kinds of rec leagues before and so on. But in terms of competitive basketball, he had 1 year under his belt.

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
I guess it depends on your definition of playing basketball. I didn't mean to imply he had never held a basketball in his hand. No doubt he had played in all kinds of rec leagues before and so on. But in terms of competitive basketball, he had 1 year under his belt.
JV (junior varsity) is competitive basketball. So 2 years junior varsity and 1 year with the varsity team in high school.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He went to a high school in Raleigh that's maybe 5 or 6 miles from state and 25 miles from UNC or Duke. We stole a really good player right under their noses. He has become one of the best players in the country this year. Teams will have to start scheming to stop him and it will open up for some others. Too bad we don't have an experienced center to complement him.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I was hard on Moses for taking 3's. And it was fair criticism. He shot 6.5%, 20.8% and 24.1% from beyond the arc his first three years. He often took those attempts at poor times too i.e., not generally end of shot clock.

The difference in how you're characterizing it though is that my opinion wasn't a criticism of Moses. It was a criticism of coaches allowing him to shoot 3's in games. That's on CJP.

I was going to post something similar to this last night. I actually went back to old posts...and oh boy some the posters on here lol. Saw an old posts of mine that said how some of our fans don't appreciate Moses enough. That has certainly changed. Moses is easily our best player this year and if some of us don't appreciate him now, GT just doesn't deserve nice things.
Frankly there wasn't a ton to appreciate about his output until last year. And last year was a leap to above average ACC player - 13 pt, 7 reb on avg. Depending on the bar one is setting, that could be good or just fine.

This year he has been remarkable. And to that end, I haven't seen a single post that suggests they do not appreciate his effort and output. If he sustains his current pace, that would again exceed my expectations even after seeing the first three games. It is hard to put up those numbers against the ACC, night in, night out. But he's demonstrated near elite athleticism which bodes well for his ceiling (beyond just NCAA).

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
He has always been very athletic and at times he made some poor decisions but he is really showing maturity this year. He looks like he could have a pro career.

jbix80

Ramblin' Wreck
I think the biggest area he needs to grow in right now is learning to kick the ball out at times. He has a tendency to force up a shot no matter what. I think he could get even better looks on a post reset.

Georgia Tech Fan
I was hard on Moses for taking 3's. And it was fair criticism. He shot 6.5%, 20.8% and 24.1% from beyond the arc his first three years. He often took those attempts at poor times too i.e., not generally end of shot clock.

The difference in how you're characterizing it though is that my opinion wasn't a criticism of Moses. It was a criticism of coaches allowing him to shoot 3's in games. That's on CJP.

Frankly there wasn't a ton to appreciate about his output until last year. And last year was a leap to above average ACC player - 13 pt, 7 reb on avg. Depending on the bar one is setting, that could be good or just fine.

This year he has been remarkable. And to that end, I haven't seen a single post that suggests they do not appreciate his effort and output. If he sustains his current pace, that would again exceed my expectations even after seeing the first three games. It is hard to put up those numbers against the ACC, night in, night out. But he's demonstrated near elite athleticism which bodes well for his ceiling (beyond just NCAA).

MidtownJacket

Staff member
Wright talking about Jose in the Nebraska game.. Wright, who says he can tell Alvarado is about to take over a game when he starts yelling at him, said he thought it was around the nine-minute mark that Alvarado screamed “something at me about pointing, and I was like, O.K, Jose’s about to take over. I was like, alright, cool. Let’s rock. Let’s rock out.”

This just goes to show why he is such a good team mate AND player Dude didn't care production was going to come from someone else, just happy to get it going in the second half.