More to Write/Read Before Our First Game

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
A few comments:

The defense will miss Attaochu and Jamea Thomas the most but will benefit from having Golden and Johnson back. I don’t think we are quite reloading at the start of the season, but we may see “near reloading” skills by mid season in both Lynn Griffin and Keshun Freeman. Everyone is worried about DL depth for 2014 when this has been an issue for 4 years. Pat is really going to step up in 2014.

I don’t think we are missing playmakers on offense other than Robbie Godhigh. I am hopeful that Days, Perkins, Zenon, Hill and Bostic can replace his production.

Laskey will hold down the BB spot well. Days should add significant blocking ability for Justin Thomas in both pass and running plays.

The OL will be deeper and healthier in 2014.

Wofford should be a win.

The Tulane team will be excited by playing at home for a sold out crowd. This is dangerous conditions for an upset if we don’t come to play. Win, but don’t be upset if it is closer than you think.

GSU has a new coach and a new offense and lost their playmaker QB. They have practiced against the TO and should know how to defend. GT wins, because we are able to stop the new offense.

I don’t think VT has reloaded on defense, but will still bring a very tough defensive team to the field. Their offense will have a new exciting RB with a new not as exciting QB. GT has practiced all spring and summer camp against the gap blitz that VT runs. VT has Ohio State and E. Carolina, a 10 and 3 team, before us and should be limited in their ability to get ready for GT's option. GT wins, and we win by bigger than you would expect in Blacksburg.

Miami will have a new QB, a true freshmen. We will sell out to stop Duke Johnson and make the new QB go to the air. The question is if our defensive backs can cover this new QB while selling out for the run game. This game will be decided by a single possession. Miami will have Nebraska and Duke before us limiting prep time. I give us the win due to the home field advantage.

Duke has proven to have an offense that put up some high scores on several teams in 2013. I see a vary close game in 2014 with high scores on both sides. Duke does have an extra week to prepare for our team. This is a game that could be a L if we don’t show up to play due to Duke’s balanced ability to run and pass. I give us the home field advantage and a win by 3 points.

UNC no longer has Benard (2012) or Ebron (2013) even if they are reloading at QB. They will also have a new exciting freshman running back. I still see this team as having a good passing year. I feel this is one we may have trouble with and could be a L given UNC home field advantage. This game is winnable, but the breaks don’t go our way for this game.

Pitt lost a great QB. They have a long week to prepare for us. I still feel we have a better shot at winning than a loss. The game is away, but I still feel we win by a touchdown.

Virginia at home and they have not yet turned the corner. Win

NC State will not be ready for the improved TO. Win

Clemson at home. They have not reloaded, but are still a strong team. They may prove out or improve skills during the season. Can CPJ deal with random blitzing corners? This will be a close game. GT wins with a replay of “2009” winning field goal being the difference.

Georgia will bring their best game and so will GT. We win by 3 points and 3 different GT fans get attacked by drunks on the way out of the stadium.

My corrected prediction is really 9 and 3 with 3 losses in the four games of Duke, UNC, Clemson, and UGA. I think the offense improves, but the defense is still developing into their future power house selves.

8 and 4 may be a safe bet, but I bleed White and Gold! Every game is winnable!

Last edited:

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
Georgia will bring their best game and so will GT. We win by 3 points and 3 different GT fans get attacked by drunks on the way out of the stadium.

Only 3 fans get attacked by barking drunks? (y) We should be so lucky. :blackeye:

Seriously, great analysis. I hope you're right (or better, only 2 losses of the last four games you mentioned).

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
One correction, I'm almost certain GSU bring their QB back, Kevin Ellison. Small kid, very JT like speed. Made big plays against Florida. Maybe you're thinking of their RB that got drafted, Jerrick McKinnon.

Jacketfish

Jolly Good Fellow
McKinnon did used to play QB for GSU but Ellison took most of the snaps as qb last season while McKinnon moved to AB. Ellison is dangerous on the ground too. Just don't think the overall roster has the athletes to hang with us.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
McKinnon did used to play QB for GSU but Ellison took most of the snaps as qb last season while McKinnon moved to AB. Ellison is dangerous on the ground too. Just don't think the overall roster has the athletes to hang with us.

Yea they were fun to watch with McKinnon at QB.

But sir, you have to be wrong. There is no possible way in the entire history of the earth that an A-back (or anyone that plays in this system) can get drafted to the nfl. It's a preposterous claim. Please check your facts before posting such nonsense. Thank you.

Jacketfish

Jolly Good Fellow

But sir, you have to be wrong. There is no possible way in the entire history of the earth that an A-back (or anyone that plays in this system) can get drafted to the nfl. It's a preposterous claim. Please check your facts before posting such nonsense. Thank you.

I know it's hard to believe but check the 1:45 mark. From what I hear McKinnon has even been impressing AP. The dude is a beast.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Where we finish is anybody's guess. I have already made mine in another thread. I think the most important thing to take away is that we probably have, at least, a 40 percent chance of winning any contest on our schedule. In my mind we are favorites in most, about even in a few, and only a slight underdog (40%) in a few. There is a legit chance for a very good season, although I don't expect the ride to be smooth and predictable by any means. If I had to pick a 4 game wide window for our regular season record to fall into, it would be between 7 and 10 wins. If the truth be told, I really have no clue about how well other teams have reloaded for 2014. Members of the press can peek at rosters and pontificate about who was lost and who is returning for every team, but even they don't know how the individuals are developing in each camp or how the teams are gelling. You have to play the games to figure that stuff out. I base my opinion purely on how we looked to my eye during the scrimmage I watched, combined with a general knowledge of where our conference has been the last few years, in terms of overall quality. I think we will be an exciting team that will be hard to contain, but at the same time, far from dominant. Most games against the upper half teams are going to be a slugfests where we need to make some breaks for ourselves.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

That only applies to CPJ ABs. :)

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Everybody is writing off Pitt.The QB they lost didn't play in bowl I believe and replacement did great.,.Their 230 lb FR TB rolled.Their best WR was Fr.Maybe we can outscore them as their DL was wrecked LIKE ours.BUT---they are AT HOME.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Everybody is writing off Pitt.The QB they lost didn't play in bowl I believe and replacement did great.,.Their 230 lb FR TB rolled.Their best WR was Fr.Maybe we can outscore them as their DL was wrecked LIKE ours.BUT---they are AT HOME.

I just find it funny that some of our fans can be so negative about us but optimistic about others.

Tom Savage played the first half and got hurt in the second...backup went 5-9 for 108 yards.

That same RB had 8 carries for 3 yards against us.

And this game was against Bowling Green.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
I just find it funny that some of our fans can be so negative about us but optimistic about others.

Tom Savage played the first half and got hurt in the second...backup went 5-9 for 108 yards.

That same RB had 8 carries for 3 yards against us.

And this game was against Bowling Green.

My point is almost NOBODY(our fans) thinks Pitt can beat us. Somehow I think they will get more than MINUS 5 yds on ground this yr -- and they still only lost by 11.Its a trap game to me.

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Any given Saturday... Every game is a trap game... don't over look Tulane with a sold out stadium or GSU looking for a Florida repeat. UVA almost knocked us off last year with 8 turn overs.

No, I will not predict Pitt beating us. They may win just like any other team could win, but I will not predict it.

I can see predicting a Duke win given all their returning players.
I can see predicting a Clemson win given their strong previous seasons
I can see predicting a VT and Miami win given the past recent history.

But why on earth would I be a GT fan and predict a Pitt, UVA, NCS, Wofford, GSU, Tulane loss. There are traps and upsets, but I think we can beat these teams if we show up to play.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
We aren't good enough to overlook any team on our schedule. However, if we show up with high intensity and can minimize mistakes, I like our chances.