More stupid hypotheticals...

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
Listening to 680 this morning, Sandra and Chris were playing through the hypothetical scenarios necessary for a 2 loss UGA team to make it into the gang of 4. To Sandra's credit, she wasn't buying it, but Dimino kept pressing that if UGA wins out, beats an undefeated Miss St. team in the championship game, then how do you keep the SEC champ out of the playoff ?

After several attempts not to blow chunks, I decided to post my hypothetical on how GT gets into the NC picture. Why not after all? We are currently at two losses as well and haven't been thrashed by crappy Florida and South Carolina teams. So here goes.

1. Dukie gets beat by both VT and UNC - (which I actually think will happen).
2. GT beats Clemson. Handily.
3. Miami gets beat by FSU - (FSU wins out) - putting GT and FSU in the ACCCG game.
4. GT wallops FSU in the ACCCG.

By my math, that leaves us at 11-2 with several quality wins over Miami, Duke, FSU, UGA and Clemson and, with arguably the best offense in College Football.

So how does the selection committee (whoever they are) leave us out?

Now let's see if such an argument ever hits Atlanta sports radio.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
so, in your scenario, the GT - Uga game is an "elimination" game. We would have to win the next three and look good doing so. And Uga would have to thump the SEC West in the SECCG. (Assuming they can get there). And probably some other stuff as well. who knows? Not likely but the discussion is fun, unlikely but not impossible and way much more enjoyable than November discussions in years' past.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
After all is said and done, when all the conference CG's are over, and all the talking heads are pretty much proved wrong: there will be very few one and two loss teams left standing. The SEC could have a two or three loss team win the CG. Our best bet is to win out, and either Ugag or Florida win the SEC CG. It would be ludicrous to put them in the playoffs over us.

Js-showman

Jolly Good Fellow
After all is said and done, when all the conference CG's are over, and all the talking heads are pretty much proved wrong: there will be very few one and two loss teams left standing. The SEC could have a two or three loss team win the CG. Our best bet is to win out, and either Ugag or Florida win the SEC CG. It would be ludicrous to put them in the playoffs over us.
I would love for a 3 loss SEC team to win the SECCG. I would laugh for days on end.

Papa Doc

Georgia Tech Fan
Listening to 680 this morning, Sandra and Chris were playing through the hypothetical scenarios necessary for a 2 loss UGA team to make it into the gang of 4. To Sandra's credit, she wasn't buying it, but Dimino kept pressing that if UGA wins out, beats an undefeated Miss St. team in the championship game, then how do you keep the SEC champ out of the playoff ?

After several attempts not to blow chunks, I decided to post my hypothetical on how GT gets into the NC picture. Why not after all? We are currently at two losses as well and haven't been thrashed by crappy Florida and South Carolina teams. So here goes.

1. Dukie gets beat by both VT and UNC - (which I actually think will happen).
2. GT beats Clemson. Handily.
3. Miami gets beat by FSU - (FSU wins out) - putting GT and FSU in the ACCCG game.
4. GT wallops FSU in the ACCCG.

By my math, that leaves us at 11-2 with several quality wins over Miami, Duke, FSU, UGA and Clemson and, with arguably the best offense in College Football.

So how does the selection committee (whoever they are) leave us out?

Now let's see if such an argument ever hits Atlanta sports radio.

It would great for us, but 680 the Bland and its teams of morning and afternoon stooges would argue that a 2 loss ACC team should not be there in place of a 2, 3 or 4 loss SEC team.

slugboy

Staff member
It would great for us, but 680 the Bland and its teams of morning and afternoon stooges would argue that a 2 loss ACC team should not be there in place of a 2, 3 or 4 loss SEC team.
Who would care what they think?

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
That argument would be dead on arrival because in this scenario the 2-loss ACC team would've beaten the 3-loss SEC team just a few days prior.

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Unless absolute catastrophe occurs around the country, UGA and GT both have no shot. These playoffs are turning out kind of fun though. I’m interested to see what happens with TCU and Baylor if they both win out. Baylor would win the BIG 12 but TCU has a much more impressive schedule. I also think Nebraska has the best shot to get in the playoffs from the BIG 10 if they win out. I’m not sure Ohio State can overcome that loss to VT with the rest of their schedule.

That argument would be dead on arrival because in this scenario the 2-loss ACC team would've beaten the 3-loss SEC team just a few days prior.

There is still talk of two teams from the SEC west getting into the final four. There is still love for LSU at three losses, such as LSU would beat FSU, or Nebraska. This is a stacked deck for the SEC. But what is the committee to do if Miami beats FSU this week, Alabama beats Miss State, etc.? Then you have a bunch of one loss teams and only four slots.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
There is still talk of two teams from the SEC west getting into the final four. There is still love for LSU at three losses, such as LSU would beat FSU, or Nebraska. This is a stacked deck for the SEC. But what is the committee to do if Miami beats FSU this week, Alabama beats Miss State, etc.? Then you have a bunch of one loss teams and only four slots.
Good question. My answer is you put the conference champions in. Period. That happened on the field; the rest is just speculation.

Good question. My answer is you put the conference champions in. Period. That happened on the field; the rest is just speculation.
Well, you could have conference champs with two losses--Georgia could have 3 losses and be the SEC champ. But there would still be a handful of one loss, non champions. I am pretty certain that regardless of the number of losses, ESPN will dictate that the SEC champ gets in. But after that, who?

Minawreck

Ramblin' Wreck
the real problem is the whole 4 spots and 5+ conference champions.

Seasons should be limited to 10 games + 1 pre-season scrimmage. Then move to 16-game playoff. All conference winners plus at-larges. First round at home stadium of higher seed. Conference champs of P5 are always seeded higher than at-larges.