More insight into CPJ's role....?

techman

Georgia Tech Fan
As head coach and offensive coordinator, CPJ of course, has many coaches working/coaching under him.....so what is his role more precisely? How much instruction does he give, particularly to the offense? How does he do it w/o overriding other coach instruction? Does he supplement their instruction or is he ever the primary coach for any position/group or approach?

nod

Ramblin' Wreck
Head coach:
All position coaches report to him. Gives a lot of instruction to DC, then DC hands to D position coaches. DC sets scouting roles of opponents, they all review together to come up with game plan w/ input from head coach
Offensive Coordinator:
Johnson is different then most, he knows playbook in his head, I think he game-plans first 2/3 series, and 2 minute offense based on film study. During fist few series he script plays and reads defense, then calls plays based on how defense covered those plays. You may think he's running same few plays a lot but he adjust blocking schemes a lot more then you notice. A lot of other OC will script plays based on down distant from film study, you will notice Coach Johnson does not carry the script as he's making calls more on how current game is being played out.

Andewa

Jolly Good Fellow
From what I can tell, he mostly let's coaches run practice. He rotates around observing the various units.

Lavoisier

Ramblin' Wreck
I believe he works with the QBs somewhat. A traditional OC usually doesn't do a whole lot of hands on stuff anyway unless they are also a position coach. They watch film and put together a game plan and delegate to the unit coaches what they want emphasized.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
I cannot think of an OC who ran an offense without any notes or charts to rely on throughout the course of a game. What CPJ does best IMO, is closely watch how quickly the safeties start biting on the run and move closer to the LOS. Much like a runner at first base seeing how much of a lead he can get before the pitcher starts throwing toward first as opposed to the catcher.

If TM can start to hit on at least 48 to 50% of his passes downfield, this offense will be tougher on defenses as those downfield passes just demoralize a team trying to stop this option. He's always looking for the right time to hit a defense with a "big play." All the while taking the 3 and 5 yard gains on the ground and 12 play drives. Those wear down a defense just like body punches in a boxing match wear out the opponent and create the opportunity for a KO upstairs.

When GT plays against Clemson and their dominant D-Line, then it's imperative that TM must hit 55 to 60% of his passes as great athletes can cancel out any offense. That Iowa defense in the 2009 Orange Bowl had 9 of those 11 playing in the NFL. But also remember that GT had a very small O-Line in CPJ's first few years on the flats. Austin Barrick at 250 wasn't going to be able to block Adrian Clayborn at 285. Heck I watched Adrian collect 7 sacks against Dallas in a game and they had a pretty stout offensive line.

This option offense works. The best part is teams just dread playing against GT and CPJ. Plus he also doubles as the HC!

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
I would like to see us pass a little more than we have so far under PJ and employ a few formations using a TE.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
As head coach and offensive coordinator, CPJ of course, has many coaches working/coaching under him.....so what is his role more precisely? How much instruction does he give, particularly to the offense? How does he do it w/o overriding other coach instruction? Does he supplement their instruction or is he ever the primary coach for any position/group or approach?

From the various press conferences and radio shows CPJ has said or indicated that he:

He works directly with the QB, whether on the practice field on in meeting room where they review the film of the prior game. He said the QB/BB coach probably has the toughest job in the film review since CPJ is usually in the room (the other position coaches generally get to do their review without CPJ being there).

He also develops the game plan for the next week. He receives a lot of input from the staff, including new play ideas, but the offensive game plan is his baby from what I can tell. He noted one time that when an offensive staff assistant coach brings him an idea for a new play he will look it over and ask what to do if the defense counters the play in a certain way. If the assistant coach can't answer the question satisfactory, he sends them back to the drawing board.

He throws in his two cents (probably much more) with respect to the defensive game plan when he feels it necessary. He generally keeps out of the DC's hair, but certainly he is not shy about giving direction if he thinks the defense is off track.

I don't think I've heard him say much about working the WR or the OL. He rarely mentions the WR except to talk about a specific player or a specific (highlight reel) play. He says more about the OL, though I don't recall him saying much about working with those players and he rarely talks about the OL coaches. The comments are usually more along the lines of wanting the players to execute better, difficulties blocking the mike linebacker, the line's performance in general, etc.

All the practices (Spring, Fall, in-season, bowl) have to be organized and I'm sure he is involved in that.

That is just the coaching side. He as a truckload of stuff to do that is not coaching related. He has to check up on academic performance, deal with issues such as a player skipping class, talk with the players parents, meet with the Athletic Association staff about a number of issue (e.g., facilities, NCAA requirements, schedules, etc), be involved with recruiting, and whatever else he has responsibility for. He has administrative staff support of all of this, of course, but he still has to provide input and ensure that that the non-coaching aspects of the football program are being handled appropriately.

One more thing, he also has to deal with his personal favorite group - the media.