More good news

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Official GT release: http://www.ramblinwreck.com/genrel/050714aac.html

"Georgia Tech's football program had improved its APR every year under head coach Paul Johnson and this year matched its score from last year of 983. Wednesday's announcement puts the Yellow Jackets in the top 10 percent nationally for the second consecutive time since the APR originated in 2003-04."

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
This is huge. Plus it is positive. So..........

I guess there won't be much discussion.

OK, I will go ahead and say it. This should be a MAJOR factor for consideration when determining the longevity of our current coach's tenure. If there is one thing I am super proud of is that we do things the right way. We are not only graduating more kids than most programs, but we are doing it with REAL degrees in fields of study that actually mean something. No kid will leave GT as a victim of the CFB machine. We don't use kids. We give them opportunity and follow through to make sure they seize it.

IronJacket7

Helluva Engineer
This is huge. Plus it is positive. So..........

I guess there won't be much discussion.

OK, I will go ahead and say it. This should be a MAJOR factor for consideration when determining the longevity of our current coach's tenure. If there is one thing I am super proud of is that we do things the right way. We are not only graduating more kids than most programs, but we are doing it with REAL degrees in fields of study that actually mean something. No kid will leave GT as a victim of the CFB machine. We don't use kids. We give them opportunity and follow through to make sure they seize it.

Now its just a matter of pitching that to an 18 year old kid. Maybe over time they will see that the true way to go in life is education. So with CPJ being given some slack on the exceptions he can encourage those recruits that this can happen for them academically as well.

Last edited:

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
No kid will leave GT as a victim of the CFB machine. We don't use kids. We give them opportunity and follow through to make sure they seize it.

+1,000,000

Every coach shows his love for his players differently. I have witnessed CPJ take heat for years for chewing kids out on the sideline and being spare with public praise. But no one can question his devotion to them as a WHOLE PERSON.

redmule

Ramblin' Wreck
You think maybe his Navy experience helps him in this area? We're not gonna get the factory football players, so how do we compete? Do something they can't do. Get the smartest guys with the most athletic talent and run the most complex hardest to defend schemes with them. In all probability, you don't do that overnight. In 2008/2009, we whipped their butts with talent alone. Probably didn't matter what offense we ran during those years. We had a once every 20 year spike in talent, and CPJ was good enough to take advantage of it. When that spike had worked it's way through the system, we were back into the process of seeking smarts and talent. We are seeing the result of the smarts in the classroom. I think/hope the talent and schemes start to show this year and next. It would seem logical that this demonstration of success in the classroom will begin to influence some talented players and their parents. If, if, if the results begin to show on the field, then we will have the market niche of smarts/talent to recruit players that make us competitive with those people to the east.

Just suppose that we finally reach the goal that Bobby Dodd set before us when we left the SEC and that we Tech football supporting alums have been seeking for the last 50 years thru 9 coaches and a thousand players - becoming the Institution where the brightest football players come to get a real degree while kicking your sorry *** all over Grant Field. Once we reach that, it will become self replicating. The best and brightest football players will seek us out. We will be, in O'Leary's famous quote, "MIT during the week and FSU on the weekend." If it is possible to do this, WE CAN DO THAT, and no one else can. Not Stanford nor Vandy nor Notre Dame, nor Northwestern, nor Duke because they all have sham degrees created so that the dumb sons of rich alumni and football players can experience walking across the stage in a black dress. The Tech alumni and administration have not wavered from this goal in a half century. We have not diluted the degree programs, we have not shirked tough competition, we have not hired coaches that would break the rules or deviate from the goal. Because we are an engineering Institution, we keep devising solutions to the problem, and because we are Tech engineers, we are accustomed to it not being easy. I've been a Tech fan for 55 years, since my grandfather taught me the words to Ramblin Wreck when I was a small boy. I've been an alum for 37 years and a season ticket holder for 32. I would never want to see Tech football break faith with the goal of academic excellence as the fount of athletic excellence.

GTJoeBrew

Helluva Engineer
This matters a lot more to me than the record at the end of the year. I want a coach who strives to make professionals out of his football players and CPJ has done that very well since he arrived. If he keeps working hard on getting the right guys and fitting them to their talents, the wins will come.

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer
This is impressive and just adds to the sense of pride I have in Georgia Tech.

Nothing feels better than not taking the easy route but still being successful.

jwsavhGT

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
You think maybe his Navy experience helps him in this area? We're not gonna get the factory football players, so how do we compete? Do something they can't do. Get the smartest guys with the most athletic talent and run the most complex hardest to defend schemes with them. In all probability, you don't do that overnight. In 2008/2009, we whipped their butts with talent alone. Probably didn't matter what offense we ran during those years. We had a once every 20 year spike in talent, and CPJ was good enough to take advantage of it. When that spike had worked it's way through the system, we were back into the process of seeking smarts and talent. We are seeing the result of the smarts in the classroom. I think/hope the talent and schemes start to show this year and next. It would seem logical that this demonstration of success in the classroom will begin to influence some talented players and their parents. If, if, if the results begin to show on the field, then we will have the market niche of smarts/talent to recruit players that make us competitive with those people to the east.

Just suppose that we finally reach the goal that Bobby Dodd set before us when we left the SEC and that we Tech football supporting alums have been seeking for the last 50 years thru 9 coaches and a thousand players - becoming the Institution where the brightest football players come to get a real degree while kicking your sorry *** all over Grant Field. Once we reach that, it will become self replicating. The best and brightest football players will seek us out. We will be, in O'Leary's famous quote, "MIT during the week and FSU on the weekend." If it is possible to do this, WE CAN DO THAT, and no one else can. Not Stanford nor Vandy nor Notre Dame, nor Northwestern, nor Duke because they all have sham degrees created so that the dumb sons of rich alumni and football players can experience walking across the stage in a black dress. The Tech alumni and administration have not wavered from this goal in a half century. We have not diluted the degree programs, we have not shirked tough competition, we have not hired coaches that would break the rules or deviate from the goal. Because we are an engineering Institution, we keep devising solutions to the problem, and because we are Tech engineers, we are accustomed to it not being easy. I've been a Tech fan for 55 years, since my grandfather taught me the words to Ramblin Wreck when I was a small boy. I've been an alum for 37 years and a season ticket holder for 32. I would never want to see Tech football break faith with the goal of academic excellence as the fount of athletic excellence.
Great post!

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
This matters a lot more to me than the record at the end of the year. I want a coach who strives to make professionals out of his football players and CPJ has done that very well since he arrived. If he keeps working hard on getting the right guys and fitting them to their talents, the wins will come.

Not me. Make him a member of the faculty if we're more worried about graduation rates than winning games. The football coach should absolutely have the goal of graduating every player he can graduate. But his first priority is to win football games. Otherwise, hire one of the nerds from the school of mathematics to be the head coach.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
boise state
BC
Clemson
Duke
GT
Northwestern
Rutgers
Stanford
Missouri
Nebraska
South Carolina
Wisconson
Utah State

Thats the top 10 percent list....

70Jacket

Georgia Tech Fan

I agree with the academic portion of your message!

Unless I'm wrong about the four year rolling average (correct me if i'm mistaken) I believe the 983 for the last two years include players recruited by Gailey; which would mean we not only kicked butt with talent in 08/09 but with intelligence too!

I commend all these "bonafide" Student Athletes for their tenacity in the classroom, coach gets the credit, but the kids did the class work and the profs taught the material; Dodd would be proud of this team work!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Unless I'm wrong about the four year rolling average (correct me if i'm mistaken) I believe the 983 for the last two years include players recruited by Gailey; which would mean we not only kicked butt with talent in 08/09 but with intelligence too!
Except for the talent that really mattered that all bailed after '09. (except for Nesbitt who only lasted less than half a season.)

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos

I kinda' feel the same way. This is big news and great news for the school.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Animal02

Banned
This is great news and CPJ does really cares about the kids from the parents and players I talked to a few years ago.

He is also financially incentivized to graduate the kids, page 3 of his contract ( https://onedrive.live.com/embed?cid...!432&authkey=AKpmFWNyFhktcwA&em=2&wdStartOn=1 )
Gives him the following yearly incentives of $125K for 70% graduation rate and another $75K for APR over 950.
I was poo-pooed on another forum for suggesting that motivation. :eek: .....considering he gets more for the student academic performance than he does for getting ranked etc.
It is obvious the priorities of the hill.....and I have no argument with it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I was poo-pooed on another forum for suggesting that motivation. :eek: .....considering he gets more for the student academic performance than he does for getting ranked etc.
It is obvious the priorities of the hill.....and I have no argument with it.

Agree with the academic incentive , just wonder if hill pays or gtaa?