More fun with Regional Sports Networks (Sinclair raising money to find new profit streams)

slugboy

Staff member
It was “Fox Sports South/West/Midwest/etc.”, now “Bally’s Southeast/X/Y/Z”, but Sinclair owns them, and now they’re looking to make more money by creating another streaming service:

If you can’t watch games on an RSN, you can pony up $23/month for the Sinclair network.

IM79

Jolly Good Fellow
That's crazy expensive. Why so high? They got the rights to the Braves dirt cheap and now they can't compete anymore with big spending clubs so why should I pay a ridiculous amount to watch the Braves.

slugboy

Staff member
That's crazy expensive. Why so high? They got the rights to the Braves dirt cheap and now they can't compete anymore with big spending clubs so why should I pay a ridiculous amount to watch the Braves.
I don’t know if it was dirt cheap for them.
This feels like a rerun of the “Atlanta Spirit Group”, but in this case it was Sinclair that spent more than they could afford. Every cable, satellite, and streaming service that was facing a higher charge dropped the package. AT&T only still carries them because their contract isn’t up for renewal yet.
Sinclair is possibly in a bad financial spot. Their business plan would have had most carriers paying higher fees; what they got was no higher fees from AT&T, no money from anyone else, and they still have to pay for the rights. They might need to make up the money they burned through.
They’re on the hook for 1.82 Billion dollars in rights fees. Advertising has plummeted.
As far as I know, they’ll still have ACC games next season. Here’s one post that says they have the rights through 2027

Last edited: