More Defensive Coaches

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
721E5562-AB9B-4A0D-BE41-8087FEC23F1F.jpeg

Collins has a penchant for flash. Jeff Popovich was a The Bachelor participants.

GTBillyJosh

Jolly Good Fellow
Welcome to the flats Nathan and Jeff!!

Interesting that Nathan was named Co-Defensive Coordinator. Glad for him! I wonder if this opens the door for a Co-Offensive Coordinator. When the OC and DC were announced, there was not a "Co" in either title.

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
I wonder if this opens the door for a Co-Offensive Coordinator. When the OC and DC were announced, there was not a "Co" in either title.
I'm sure this is on the table depending upon who it is that's he's bringing in. There are 4 spots left to fill and I'm sure he's going to mix and match the responsibilities.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
I thought CGC said he was going to coach the defensive backs , did I miss something or not to stop drinking beer.
You missed nothing, except a bunch of people taking his statement that he'll be personally working with the DBs as some sort of confirmation that he'd be the literal DB position coach. No matter how many times people would point out that he'll have a coach assigned to the position, they were stuck on this idea of him being DB coach. Typical offseason message board behavior, people taking the tiniest snippets of information and using it to prove something they already believe.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
How many more coaches are we going to hire ? Does this mean we will also have a special team coach to coach KO returns punt returns ?
Popovich will coach cornerbacks and serve as defensive special teams coordinator (kickoff and punt coverage).

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You missed nothing, except a bunch of people taking his statement that he'll be personally working with the DBs as some sort of confirmation that he'd be the literal DB position coach. No matter how many times people would point out that he'll have a coach assigned to the position, they were stuck on this idea of him being DB coach. Typical offseason message board behavior, people taking the tiniest snippets of information and using it to prove something they already believe.

It wasn't a snippet, it was a literal interview he did when he flat out said it. Multiple times. The guy can coach DBs without a title of DB coach. See: Nick Saban. He doesn't have "DB coach" next to his "HC" title, but he's out in the defensive backfield and in drills working with the DBs every practice. I venture to guess CGC will approach it the same way.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
It wasn't a snippet, it was a literal interview he did when he flat out said it. Multiple times. The guy can coach DBs without a title of DB coach. See: Nick Saban. He doesn't have "DB coach" next to his "HC" title, but he's out in the defensive backfield and in drills working with the DBs every practice. I venture to guess CGC will approach it the same way.
Yes that's correct, but he never said he'd be the "DB coach", which is what quite a few people were insisting that meant. I fully understand a head coach having an area of specialization where he spends more time with that position group than the others, but that is VERY different from being the DB coach and running the position group. Any time someone would point this out, those other people would jump right in with "he said he'd be coaching the DBs, so we won't have another DB coach". You can see how this would lead to confusion from other posters here when they keep reading people's (incorrect) assumptions presented as if they're fact.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Very interested to see who else is yet to come.

on the defensive side does he bring Jim Panagos from Temple as DL coach? He was the 2009 DL Coach of the year while at UCF. Spent 5 years at UCF and 1 yr at Pitt before going to Temple.

On the offensive side offensively waiting to see if Key gets hired for OL.

It looks like we could have multiple OC/DC, which is something Collins did at Temple - though it appears Thacker and Pateneude will have playcalling responsibilities.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Yes that's correct, but he never said he'd be the "DB coach", which is what quite a few people were insisting that meant. I fully understand a head coach having an area of specialization where he spends more time with that position group than the others, but that is VERY different from being the DB coach and running the position group. Any time someone would point this out, those other people would jump right in with "he said he'd be coaching the DBs, so we won't have another DB coach". You can see how this would lead to confusion from other posters here when they keep reading people's (incorrect) assumptions presented as if they're fact.

Lol...gotcha. CGC of course will have an actual DB coach to deal with the day to day, minute to minute stuff a position coach has to deal with. Last I checked, CGC has plenty of other things he has to deal with.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Well dookie that blows my theory so if,I read something on here you are saying that it may not be true ? This is all confusing now.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Larry Knight is coming(unless Resume Gate gets him), but no position to coach has been disclosed.
Offense has announced 3. Defense has 4. Only 3 left by NCAA regulations(OL, TE/R.Co-ord., DL).
Don’t believe Key is one of them.