More Bulletin Board Material

Ash

Ramblin' Wreck
30655.jpg

Squints

Helluva Engineer
CBS' so-called college football experts did their predictions for the ACC. One expert has us finishing 4th in the coastal, 3 has us finishing 5th, and 3 has us finishing 6th. I hope the players use all these media predictions as motivation.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefootball/eye-on-college-football/24656075/acc-preview

Not suprising. We never get love in the preseason media. What I still can't get my head around is the Duke obssession. They threaded a needle last year and I'd be shocked if they did it again.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Lot of high expectations for N.C. State and new QB Jacoby Brissett. They're a young team that will be figuring things out. Could make for an interesting game later in the season.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I don't get the Duke love fest either, but it may be a factor of them playing Texas A&M tough in the bowl game, lots of national exposure.
Flying under the radar is not a bad thing right now, we typically do well with that.

niel9533

Georgia Tech Fan
I don't get the Duke love fest either, but it may be a factor of them playing Texas A&M tough in the bowl game, lots of national exposure.
Flying under the radar is not a bad thing right now, we typically do well with that.
For me it's UNC - I have been hearing them mentioned as a contender/winner of the division for years and can't see why. Maybe they think the number has to eventually come up.

I agree, though - keep us under the radar - GT has historically done better as the underdog.
Go Jackets!! THWG!!!

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
When have we ever won a game for bulletin board material? That's coachspeak, plain and simple. It's not like magical fairies come help us be more than we are. You'd think we'd a thumped UGA for "we run this state" shenanigans, but bulletin board or not, no magic fairies helped us that day.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
When have we ever won a game for bulletin board material? That's coachspeak, plain and simple. It's not like magical fairies come help us be more than we are. You'd think we'd a thumped UGA for "we run this state" shenanigans, but bulletin board or not, no magic fairies helped us that day.
Not so fast.... A team's collective psyche before competition factors greatly into their performance. Teams that take other teams lightly under-prepare and lose focus during games. Contrarily, teams with a chip on their proverbial shoulder prepare as they should and stay focused. Motivation is a huge part of sports and the outcomes of contests. Sure, it doesn't best talent, but it plays a huge role in reaching maximum potential.

Treb1982

Jolly Good Fellow
Not surprising. We never get love in the preseason media. What I still can't get my head around is the Duke obsession. They threaded a needle last year and I'd be shocked if they did it again.

I agree 100%. I think duke got extremely fortunate last year. First their two cross-divisional games were NC State and Wake (2 of the 3 worst teams in the league). Secondly they got a break playing Miami after they just got done playing FSU and VT (not to mention losing Johnson for the year). They did beat VT and UNC on the road so kudos for that.

I am not trying to take anything away from what they were able to do last year but I have a hard time believing that a team that finished #83 in total defense last year who only returned 6 starters to begin the season and has now lost their best defensive player for the year are going to able to win the division. Maybe if their offense was superb it could be done but they finished 47th last year (3 spots behind Tech). I guess that is why they play the game.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
You get respect when you earn respect. Would you feel better if they picked us 3rd in the Coastal? We are what we are a mediocre team. This year CPJ has the opportunity to perhaps put a dent in the perception.

xenoabe

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't understand how some of you can't understand why people aren't picking us to have a great year. Some of you need to take off the gold-colored glasses.

Sean311

Helluva Engineer

It basically goes:

1. Any SEC football team
2. Nick Saban's god-like presence
3. Seahawk's SEC-like defense
4. Herschel Walker
5. Johnny Manziel
6. Tim Tebow
7. Broncos because of that guy from Tennessee
8. 49ers SEC speed
9. SEC baseball
10. Any other sport in the world

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
You get respect when you earn respect. Would you feel better if they picked us 3rd in the Coastal? We are what we are a mediocre team. This year CPJ has the opportunity to perhaps put a dent in the perception.
This is where you fail, the team has the opportunity. CPJ doesn't suit up last time I checked. Btw, the national perception of the team doesn't get in the way of my enjoyment watching the team. Now I admit, it might affect the recruiting effort, but the guys I want put other things ahead of that and it seems those are the guys we are targeting and getting in this current class.

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer

I'm trying to understand how our performance has not earned us any respect, given that we regularly beat the media-clowns' expectations, year after year. Through most of the CPJ era we've ended up in a least a tie for the #2 spot, losing out only on tie-breakers to teams having identical conference records.

If you want to call us mediocre, then pretty much everyone in the division is mediocre (or worse). Why is the mediocrity of our team "less deserving" of respect than the mediocrity of those other teams?

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think the implied point of many on this thread is that CPJ puts a "dent in the perception" every single year. Tech's finish in the ACC averages 3.5 times higher than the preseason pick under CPJ. Does not bother me one wit that we are picked low. I actually prefer that.