More Accolades for Mills

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
I have occasionally pondered what defenses would do if we stacked the AB behind the WR on each side and then run mid line option or straight dive. Would that keep defenses from stacking the middle?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I have occasionally pondered what defenses would do if we stacked the AB behind the WR on each side and then run mid line option or straight dive. Would that keep defenses from stacking the middle?

There's actually film of CPJ using that formation pre Navy/GT days. The key is, you actually need to run a legit play utilizing the AB or WR or else it's just an "empty threat".

AE 87

Helluva Engineer

We had an unbalanced line in 2nd half vs CU an ran midline to the weak side, iirc. Even with the resulting numbers, their DL et al were too quick for us to break big.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
There's actually film of CPJ using that formation pre Navy/GT days. The key is, you actually need to run a legit play utilizing the AB or WR or else it's just an "empty threat".
You mean run a quick screen? If the safety clings to the box then send the WR on a go and keep the AB near the line.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
You mean run a quick screen? If the safety clings to the box then send the WR on a go and keep the AB near the line.

Anything. Just have to show the defense you're willing to utilize them otherwise they won't respect the AB or WR enough after the snap and they'll abandon responsibility.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Mills is definitely one of those "1-8 type players" we often talk about. He would be a star RB in any system.

Glad to see him do well early. Hopefully it opens some eyes for RB recruits.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
The kid can play a little bit. Now for the 64 dollar question, can he block a little bit, or does he go to the bench per the regimen for the offense? I just have this sneaky feeling Mills would be an exception to the Johnson rule. Now the next thing is to have him survive the pounding in the first half so that Johnson can make his adjustments in the second half, as he did with Miami.

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
The kid can play a little bit. Now for the 64 dollar question, can he block a little bit, or does he go to the bench per the regimen for the offense? I just have this sneaky feeling Mills would be an exception to the Johnson rule. Now the next thing is to have him survive the pounding in the first half so that Johnson can make his adjustments in the second half, as he did with Miami.
Mills has made some excellent blocks on blitzing LBs already. He also whiffed one but overall he seems to hold his own in pass protection.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mills has blocked really well, when he picks the right guy. IMHO he is the best blocking BB since Synjin, who was the best of the CPJ era. There is so much to like about that kid. If you haven't done it, just rewind the game replay and watch some of his runs in slo motion. Every run of his gets finished. It doesn't matter how many clingers there are, the pile is falling his direction. We haven't even seen him running free yet to know if he can make house calls against fast players.