Money Down Poll

What to do with the Money Down

• Please get rid of it.

Votes: 234 73.8%
  • Keep it, I like it.

Votes: 7 2.2%
  • Doesn't matter, we have bigger fish to fry.

Votes: 76 24.0%

• Total voters

GTpdm

Helluva Engineer
It seems to me that the longer we’ve been doing “Money Down”, the LESS inclined fans have been to make actual noise on third down to disrupt the opposing offense. Maybe it’s just apathy about the team‘s overall performance, but the only way to find out for sure would be to “science the sh*t out of this”…

Let‘s try an experiment where we alternate entire games with and without Money Down, and gauge audience noise generated on third downs. If “Money Down” noise outdoes the traditional “it’s Third Down“ + Chords, I‘ll bow to Collins’ wishes.

More important to me though it to nix the Juice Squad on the sidelines. It looks asinine to have our scrubs jumping up and down on the sidelines, waving towels in an attempt to generate “hype”, when our starters are getting their asses handed to them on the field. Anyone on the sidelines should have their entire focus on winning the game. If “juice” actually helped contribute to a win, we would be national champions, not 6-17.

ChristoGT

Jolly Good Fellow
Money Down has been stupid.
I actually kind of liked the "Voodoo/hex" that the fans (mainly the students) used to do on "It's Thirrrrdddd Dowwwn!"
Of course, for the last dozen or so years before GC, though, the voodoo didn't seem to work most times ;).
But that's for another thread.

Attachments

• 116996601.stfV3Hg3.jpg
    116996601.stfV3Hg3.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 32

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Ok CGC should have to up his donation to $10,000 for every time we don't stop a team on money down, and Georgia Tech AA withholds $25K of pay with each failure when "it's money down" too.

I.e. make it expensive when the gimmick doesn't provide the results from the field. That'll make it a real money down for Coach if he has more skin in the game.

AUFC

Helluva Engineer

I hate to say something nice about UGA but this droney Gregorian chant with the sunset from a 3:30pm kick during a crucial 3rd down in the 4th quarter with a screaming Sanford Stadium is absolute chefs kiss of tension. I'd love to see us launch a 70 yard touchdown pass to take the lead with 4 minutes to go in person after this plays some day.

Instant "holy **** we are absolutely ****ed" energy when this one comes on down 10 in the 4th quarter, which is basically what a good 3rd down song should do.

burdell151

Jolly Good Fellow
If the next coach announces Chords is coming back at his introductory press conference, I'll give him a standing ovation. Chords on big plays could give me goosebumps. Money Down has never done that yet.
Chords has forced QBs to call timeouts and cuss out drum majors. I remember Tommy Bowden blew a gasket when his QB had to call timeout in 2007 trying to score a TD in the North Endzone in the first quarter after a Tech turnover on the first play from scrimmage. Climpsun wound up having to kick a field goal after a second round of Chords after the timeout got the Swarm and frats even louder and helped with miscommunication. Believe that was the difference in the game. But hey, the Band has only been playing Chords on 3rd down and other key defensive moments for the better part of 20 years.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Does money down work anywhere else?
I don't know about it working, but I saw a money down sign (same font, different colors) in a Florida hype video. I'd imagine when you have a full stadium of 70k+ it gets the juice flowing. When we're looking like Duke's stadium with so many empty seats, money down just looks embarassing.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I don't know about it working, but I saw a money down sign (same font, different colors) in a Florida hype video. I'd imagine when you have a full stadium of 70k+ it gets the juice flowing. When we're looking like Duke's stadium with so many empty seats, money down just looks embarassing.
Of course 70k Florida fans are going to yelling regardless of what sign, band, song or PA announcer is employed.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
I don’t have a problem at all with the Money Down signs on the sidelines, and I love the donations to CHOA on 3rd down stops. Although like some I kind of wish Collins would say he’ll double his donation on unsuccessful 3rd downs to add a little bit of substance. But having the PA guy say “it’s money down” and blaring rap music is super lame. It’s very reminiscent of when Tennessee and Butch Jones employed Lil Jon and played “Third Down for What” on 3rd downs, except money down is probably more lame because it’s just the PA guy saying it instead of an actual rapper.

Tennessee used it in 2014 and 2015 when they ranked 15th and 5th respectively in the country in 3rd down defense. So far with “Money Down” Tech has ranked 105th, 108th, and currently 57th in 3rd down defense. So not only is it lame, it doesn’t work.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Make every failed Money Down 2X donation and a $25K - $50K pay reduction for Geoff and $10K-$25K for Andrew. I.e. put some more skin in the game!

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I hope CGC can see this thread. Keep donating, just lose the money down crap. Donations are great.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Of course 70k Florida fans are going to yelling regardless of what sign, band, song or PA announcer is employed.
In all the time I was going to the Florida games with my buddies in the 1990s and 2000s even with 80,000 plus I never thought it was particularly loud except when they start booing officials. The students would not get there until about midway through the first quarter and if they got bored with another typical Gator blowout they would almost vacate the premises by the middle of the 3rd quarter. I will say this about Florida Field it was an entirely different environment at night especially when the Gators were playing either Tennessee or LSU. One year they were playing Vanderbilt and I actually saw a fan fall asleep in a drunken stupor only to wake up occasionally to check to see if the Gators had scored again. I always thought Tech fans were more engaged as a general rule. The price of success I suppose.