Monday injury report

SecretAgentBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Good news. We can consider the first week a success. "Probable" sounds pretty good, and we knew about Brigham before. We have some depth at S, so I am not so worried, but we need IJ to be in top shape when we hit the later part of the season. Its going to be a challenge for him to get back in game-time speed if he has to miss a few games.

In order for us to have a great season, we need really good luck regarding injuries. Week 1--check.

murrayjacket

Georgia Tech Fan
I trust the coaches on this, but it's scary to think we'll have nobody at B Back with any game experience next year.

jchens_GT

Ramblin' Wreck
I trust the coaches on this, but it's scary to think we'll have nobody at B Back with any game experience next year.

Agree, that makes me nervous. If you want any experience, you basically have to go out and find a transfer. Even then, they likely don't know the offense, and it is harder for Tech to find guys who can get in.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
No i don't. I think he will RS.
Hmmm....I wouldn't bet on that yet. He's practicing this week and is going to take a few snaps with the 2's. If he has a good week of practice, the staff isn't opposed to playing him and burning the redshirt.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
Was told he's in the same boat as MJ..."emergency redshirt"

Just my guess he redshirts.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
Agree with the no experience point, but I would not want to waste a RS just for an handful of plays.

I really want to agree with this. I think a redshirt year is a huge advantage to most college football players. A year to get accustomed to college life, knowing your teammates and coaches better, and getting more mature physically and emotionally are huge benefits of redshirting. However, it seems at Tech that we don't have a lot of guys staying for 5 years. What if CJ is the truth and can play in the NFL- will he stay 5 years at Tech? What if he hates Tech but is really good and transfers to a better football school?

I read somewhere where Richt said he regrets redshirting Moreno because he only got him for 2 years. Not saying CJ will be that, but there's a multitude of reasons that could lead to him not staying for 3+ years. I say get your best players out there, especially at a position where there's not much depth. If we have to burn his redshirt later in the year because one of our Bbacks gets hurt we are going to regret not getting him snaps early in the season.

Also, doesn't it help recruiting (especially with skill position players) when you can tell recruits "If you take care of business, learn the playbook and give your all every day in practice you can play right away. Just look at CJ Leggett he did those things and was a contributor right away."

Sorry for the rant, I just really feel like we over-redshirt sometimes and the guys don't stay 5 years anyway. In this particular case it just seems like it might be a good move to get him out there, at least on special teams.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Leggett has a hurt hamstring. What if he is put in the third game and tears it completely and is out for the year and has to wait on if he can get a medical redshirt year back?

Or, what if they are very careful and wait until his hammy is truly healed so that it neither becomes worse nor is a nagging concern and it turns out that means it is week 5 in the season. Also he has potentially not been practicing fully in order to avoid aggravation of the hammy. Now do you just go ahead and redshirt him since you are halfway done?

Clearly the talk was he would play this year but when he gets an injury that can be a nagging one and keeps him from getting the work and experience in practice then all calculations change and he becomes a possible or likely redshirt.

Let Justin Bryan, Ryan Braswell, even Snoddy share some snaps next year at BB plus Leggett and whomever comes in as a true freshmen and earns playing time like hopefully Lands-Davis. Dwyer was able to start at it and do well after one spring practice. Leggett can be ready to go as a starter next season if he applies himself and wins the job.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
4ever, here's the list of players who have played (and completed 5 years before this year):
Barnes T.J.
Beno Ray
Brown David
Chambers Travis
Crenshaw Christopher
Cummings Euclid
Dieke Emmanuel
Drummond Daniel
Finch Jay
Jackson Will
Jones Roddy
McRae Nick
Munroe Malcolm
Peters Jason
Peterson Michael
Richard Darryl
Sims David
Smith A.J.
Thomas Jemea
Uzzi Omoregie
Walls Logan
Washington Tevin
Watts Brandon

And here are the ones on the team currently,
Bostic B.J.
Days Synjyn
Green Shawn
Hill Deon
Johnson Isaiah
Nealy Quayshawn
Perkins Charles
Zenon Tony

You are right that the majority of our players (like 80% maybe), don't make it to 5 years. What seems to happen is after 4 years, the scholarship players who aren't starters don't stay on the team. So there don't seem to be a lot of 5th year players taking up scholarships but not on the playing team.

I agree to play Leggett if he can contribute this year. But most important for me is player development for following years. Hims seeing the field in real game situations (not mop up) this year is something we will greatly appreciate in later years. But is it worth that potential large contribution of the 5th year player? You can never know.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
4ever, here's the list of players who have played (and completed 5 years before this year):
Barnes T.J.
Beno Ray
Brown David
Chambers Travis
Crenshaw Christopher
Cummings Euclid
Dieke Emmanuel
Drummond Daniel
Finch Jay
Jackson Will
Jones Roddy
McRae Nick
Munroe Malcolm
Peters Jason
Peterson Michael
Richard Darryl
Sims David
Smith A.J.
Thomas Jemea
Uzzi Omoregie
Walls Logan
Washington Tevin
Watts Brandon

And here are the ones on the team currently,
Bostic B.J.
Days Synjyn
Green Shawn
Hill Deon
Johnson Isaiah
Nealy Quayshawn
Perkins Charles
Zenon Tony

You are right that the majority of our players (like 80% maybe), don't make it to 5 years. What seems to happen is after 4 years, the scholarship players who aren't starters don't stay on the team. So there don't seem to be a lot of 5th year players taking up scholarships but not on the playing team.

I agree to play Leggett if he can contribute this year. But most important for me is player development for following years. Hims seeing the field in real game situations (not mop up) this year is something we will greatly appreciate in later years. But is it worth that potential large contribution of the 5th year player? You can never know.
Munroe gave up his 5th year for Microsoft. What I take from this list is most of the guys who stick around for 5 years get a lot of playing time, and I think that is the point you are making. If the guys who don't play much decide to graduate and move on, that's ok.