MLB - The Future

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I found this article pretty fascinating... & well thought out. I'll highlight if you aren't a subscriber. Stark is predicting & pontificating on what big changes we may see in next decade of major league baseball (in no particular order):

1) Auto Strike Zone - there is already enough data to show the current "testing" indicates this moves the strike zone from what is normally called a strike. Not a showstopper by any means... but may need to tweak things before implementation. This change is almost a certainty (umpire union already saying they'll 'cooperate'). Will happen sooner rather than later... in the decade.

2) "Technology" used to signal pitches... response to the sign stealing shenanigans recently exposed re Astros & Red Sox.

3) Universal DH. He talks about a compromise, though... to appease people (like me) who like that part of the NL product. The DH would only be allowed while starting pitcher remained in the game. After starter is removed, revert back to forcing decisions on pinch hitting and/or double switches. I think I like that.

4) Expansion / Realignment / no AL/NL (as we've known them) - Expand to 32 teams. 8 x 4-team divisions. 2 x 16-team leagues. Divisions/Leagues geographically aligned.

5) More playoff teams - logical offshoot to #4 above.

6) Shorter season - he thinks 154 games... again logical offshoot to #4 & #5.

7) Every Monday a day off - this idea included a "Monthly Doubleheader Day" where every team played a scheduled DH.

8) Tweak extra inning rules to end the marathon games.

9) Deaden baseball some to "increase action" by having more balls in play.

10) Decreasing use of fastball - not a new rule, but the trend. We can expect a higher percentage of breaking balls thrown.

11) Gambling - the legal kind.

https://theathletic.com/1521278/202...-the-end-of-this-decade?source=shared-article

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
I found this article pretty fascinating... & well thought out. I'll highlight if you aren't a subscriber. Stark is predicting & pontificating on what big changes we may see in next decade of major league baseball (in no particular order):

1) Auto Strike Zone - there is already enough data to show the current "testing" indicates this moves the strike zone from what is normally called a strike. Not a showstopper by any means... but may need to tweak things before implementation. This change is almost a certainty (umpire union already saying they'll 'cooperate'). Will happen sooner rather than later... in the decade.

2) "Technology" used to signal pitches... response to the sign stealing shenanigans recently exposed re Astros & Red Sox.

3) Universal DH. He talks about a compromise, though... to appease people (like me) who like that part of the NL product. The DH would only be allowed while starting pitcher remained in the game. After starter is removed, revert back to forcing decisions on pinch hitting and/or double switches. I think I like that.

4) Expansion / Realignment / no AL/NL (as we've known them) - Expand to 32 teams. 8 x 4-team divisions. 2 x 16-team leagues. Divisions/Leagues geographically aligned.

7) Every Monday a day off - this idea included a "Monthly Doubleheader Day" where every team played a scheduled DH.

10) Decreasing use of fastball - not a new rule, but the trend. We can expect a higher percentage of breaking balls thrown.

https://theathletic.com/1521278/202...-the-end-of-this-decade?source=shared-article
That was a great article thanks Fred!(y)

herb

Helluva Engineer

1. I am ok with it. I would prefer no replay, no technology. But the horse is out of the barn
2. Less technology, not more
3. I hate it! The DH is communist
4. One of the main draws of baseball is nostalgia and consistency. As Terence Mann said “the one constant through all the years. . .has been baseball. . . . Baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it’s a part of our past.” They are going to ruin that and then where will they be?
5. Ok
6. Ok
7. Bad
8. I don’t really care for regular season
9. Won’t work. My word offense will be horrific, dead ball, 400 pitchers a game throwing 100.
10. Haven’t thought about this
11. Doesn’t matter to me

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
I don’t have a subscription, therefore really appreciate the O.P. spelling it out & summarizations given.

8)Is this idea like Sudden Death for whomever got to the furthest base during that inning if no scoring took place?
11)Legally betting on baseball? Can they do that with some State Legislature’s having contrary laws?

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
1. I am ok with it. I would prefer no replay, no technology. But the horse is out of the barn
2. Less technology, not more
3. I hate it! The DH is communist
4. One of the main draws of baseball is nostalgia and consistency. As Terence Mann said “the one constant through all the years. . .has been baseball. . . . Baseball has marked the time. This field, this game: it’s a part of our past.” They are going to ruin that and then where will they be?
5. Ok
6. Ok
7. Bad
8. I don’t really care for regular season
9. Won’t work. My word offense will be horrific, dead ball, 400 pitchers a game throwing 100.
10. Haven’t thought about this
11. Doesn’t matter to me
I have no problem with computerized umpiring it would cut down on inconsistant calls

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don’t have a subscription, therefore really appreciate the O.P. spelling it out & summarizations given.

8)Is this idea like Sudden Death for whomever got to the furthest base during that inning if no scoring took place?
11)Legally betting on baseball? Can they do that with some State Legislature’s having contrary laws?
Buzz...
Currently, in some minor leagues, they place a runner on 2nd base to start each extra inning. That is one thought. He also talks about some sort of "HR derby" ... I don't like either of those, and cannot think of anything I would like.

As for gambling... he simply acknowledges gambling is becoming legal in more & more places...& the trend will continue... & good or bad will impact baseball. He hypothesizes a tipping point where accessibility to gambling will increase fan interest/interaction (ex. prop bets during live action).

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
Realignment. Let's assume 1 "west" & 1 "east" expansion team. Here's a list of possibles mentioned last year:
East - Nashville, Charlotte, Montreal
West - Las Vegas, Portland, Vancouver

Ok... now make regionally aligned leagues & 4 team divisions.

"EASTERN" League
Div1 - Boston, NYM, NYY, Toronto
Div2 - Philadelphia, Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Detroit
Div3 - Washington, Baltimore, Atlanta, Charlotte/Nashville
Div4 - Tampa Bay, Miami, Texas, Houston

"WESTERN" League
Div1 - Cincinnati, CWS, ChiCubs, Milwaukee
Div2 - St Louis, KC, Minnesota, Colorado
Div3 - Arizona, SD, LAD, LAA
Div4 - Seattle, SF, Oakland, Las Vegas/Portland

Very weird. :(

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
MLB As I Would Like It And Think Possible For The Future:cigar:

NL East

Atlanta
Philadelphia
New York
Washington
Miami
Montreal

NL Central

Chicago
Cincinnati
Milwaukee
Nashville
Pittsburgh
St Louis

NL West

Arizona
Colorado
Las Vegas
Los Angeles
San Diego
San Francisco

AL East

New York
Baltimore
Boston
Charlotte
Tampa Bay
Toronto

AL Central

Chicago
Cleveland
Detroit
Houston
Kansas City
Minnesota

AL West

Los Angeles
Oakland
Portland
San Antonio
Seattle
Texas

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Rob Manfred in an ESPN interview, said he will meet with all MLB Managers concerning “beanballs.” Do you think this is going to stop any of the intentional HBP scenarios? I don’t see it happening.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
Nope. Astros are going to get what's coming to them.
Their players didn’t get punished with all the sign stealing that went on.
Can you imagine the current players on the road in visiting ballparks coming to the plate? I don’t imagine there will be any cheers, unless you count Bronx cheering.

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
If it were up to me i would ban anyone conected to the sign stealing controversy for life.
Too late. All players were given immunity by MLB in exchange for their testimony in the investigation.

We may not like it... but if MLB hadn't done that... there is no chance we'd have the understanding of what happened right now. It would be even muddier & messier than it is.

The Astros players have shown they were totally unprepared for the response. I think they assumed folks would just move on after hearing the facts/report & the firing of a few managers. WRONG! Not only did media press them hard here at opening of Spring training... but other players are lashing out too. MLB has a huge mess on their hands. Very unusual for players to be going after each other like this in the media/social media. It has gotten ugly & it isn't going to end any time soon.

As for stopping pitchers from throwing at batters (in general...not just Astros), MLB can & should do something. It can be done. Give umpires latitude to throw guys out when they think it is intentional. No warning. It is dangerous to be plugged by a baseball. Intentionally doing it is not good. Get it out of the game. There is no perfect way to do it... sure you may toss guys who don't mean to hit a guy... but you will see a big decrease if there are consequences of significance. The "dance" of warning benches & pitchers claiming a pitch "got away" is silly.

YellowJacketFan2018

Helluva Engineer
Too late. All players were given immunity by MLB in exchange for their testimony in the investigation.

We may not like it... but if MLB hadn't done that... there is no chance we'd have the understanding of what happened right now. It would be even muddier & messier than it is.

The Astros players have shown they were totally unprepared for the response. I think they assumed folks would just move on after hearing the facts/report & the firing of a few managers. WRONG! Not only did media press them hard here at opening of Spring training... but other players are lashing out too. MLB has a huge mess on their hands. Very unusual for players to be going after each other like this in the media/social media. It has gotten ugly & it isn't going to end any time soon.

As for stopping pitchers from throwing at batters (in general...not just Astros), MLB can & should do something. It can be done. Give umpires latitude to throw guys out when they think it is intentional. No warning. It is dangerous to be plugged by a baseball. Intentionally doing it is not good. Get it out of the game. There is no perfect way to do it... sure you may toss guys who don't mean to hit a guy... but you will see a big decrease if there are consequences of significance. The "dance" of warning benches & pitchers claiming a pitch "got away" is silly.
This will put a cloud over the Houston Astros in 2020 and i think they go 91-71 and miss the AL Playoffs with the Oakland A's winning the AL West and the AL Wildcard Teams being the Tampa Bay Rays and Cleveland Indians.

Buzzbomb

Mello Yellow-Jacket
This will put a cloud over the Houston Astros in 2020 and i think they go 91-71 and miss the AL Playoffs with the Oakland A's winning the AL West and the AL Wildcard Teams being the Tampa Bay Rays and Cleveland Indians.
MLB started the video replays for the reviews on umpire calls, without limiting video equipment in the dugout, clubhouse. Now they want to limit it and put a plan in place. Seems like they could have used some foresight before all this got out of hand.