Film Room MJ GIFS from the VT Game

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The thing I noticed is something I've commented on before. Look at the first and second GIFs. In the first, the pitch read turns his shoulders to MJ and he pitches the ball at once. In the second he doesn't and MJ misses the read. What will he do next year? What JT would have down this year: fake a pitch to the AB to freeze the OLB in place and walk to a big gain. His read was sorta right; the OLB was undecided and MJ read that as a keep. Problem = the OLB was in position to switch his focus. A fake pitch and MJ would have gone a loooong way on that play. Nesbitt had the same problem but quickly overcame it.

What we didn't see this year and will next (I bet) is some of the "inside veer" plays Navy ran this year that were QB runs all the way. What they did was to essentially turn the veer into a version of student body right with the WRs and both ABs out there looking for somebody to block and Worth running full speed to the edge. He'd tuck the ball as soon as he made the BB read. They used to do that with Reynolds too; it's a great play for a QB who can run. But that's up to Coach and it isn't kosher. We'll see.

Rock

Ramblin' Wreck
The thing I noticed is something I've commented on before. Look at the first and second GIFs. In the first, the pitch read turns his shoulders to MJ and he pitches the ball at once. In the second he doesn't and MJ misses the read. What will he do next year? What JT would have down this year: fake a pitch to the AB to freeze the OLB in place and walk to a big gain. His read was sorta right; the OLB was undecided and MJ read that as a keep. Problem = the OLB was in position to switch his focus. A fake pitch and MJ would have gone a loooong way on that play. Nesbitt had the same problem but quickly overcame it.

What we didn't see this year and will next (I bet) is some of the "inside veer" plays Navy ran this year that were QB runs all the way. What they did was to essentially turn the veer into a version of student body right with the WRs and both ABs out there looking for somebody to block and Worth running full speed to the edge. He'd tuck the ball as soon as he made the BB read. They used to do that with Reynolds too; it's a great play for a QB who can run. But that's up to Coach and it isn't kosher. We'll see.

A lot of those were designed keepers.
Pitching it was never an "option"

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Guys, Parker Braun is the prototype for this offense. Watch his block on the last GIF. Textbook reach under the DT, and puts a hat on the backer. You can't draw it up any better than that.
Actually, I'm surprised that wasn't flagged for a chop block, the way the zebras are so conditioned to see it these days.(I guess it's because the guy never goes down.) Our LT goes for the cut block (low) on the DT that Parker is chipping (high). Technically, that's a low/high combo. Parker is still semi-engaged with that defender when the LT goes for the knees.

I'm a little surprised our coaches are coaching this particular blocking scheme considering the current climate. I know Parker is trying to get past the DT as fast as possible, but it doesn't always work out that way. It's near impossible to avoid him completely.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
A lot of those were designed keepers.
Pitching it was never an "option"
I'm sure you're right, but not on the second GIF.

Look at Willis. He's ready for a pitch and pretty surprised when he doesn't get it. MJ simply misread the pitch. Next year = he'll make the fake or pitch the ball. It's a matter of experience. He does it right in the first and last GIFs.

Oth, the long run looks like a straight "QB Follow" of ancient vintage. MJ sorta makes the fake, but he's obviously waiting for the hole to open before he takes off. As it worked out, MM goes up in the hole and can't find anybody to hit. I'm not surprised he falls down; he had a real bad angle for the one person he could get to. At least he got out of the way in a hurry.

jzgt22

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm sure you're right, but not on the second GIF.

Look at Willis. He's ready for a pitch and pretty surprised when he doesn't get it. MJ simply misread the pitch. Next year = he'll make the fake or pitch the ball. It's a matter of experience. He does it right in the first and last GIFs.

Oth, the long run looks like a straight "QB Follow" of ancient vintage. MJ sorta makes the fake, but he's obviously waiting for the hole to open before he takes off. As it worked out, MM goes up in the hole and can't find anybody to hit. I'm not surprised he falls down; he had a real bad angle for the one person he could get to. At least he got out of the way in a hurry.

The second gif was a fumble. Willis was diving back towards the ball instinctively to recover it, but Jordan fell on it.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
The second gif was a fumble. Willis was diving back towards the ball instinctively to recover it, but Jordan fell on it.
Yes. I hadn't seen that. It is beside the point about this being a straight inside veer, however. That's what it was and MJ missed the read. Explains why he didn't fake the pitch, however.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
Fwiw, I'm pretty sure that the play calls were not the question. The question was whether the "read" was directed from the sideline in some cases.

bravejason

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm a little surprised our coaches are coaching this particular blocking scheme considering the current climate. I know Parker is trying to get past the DT as fast as possible, but it doesn't always work out that way. It's near impossible to avoid him completely.

My understanding is that if the O-lineman is bypassing the D-lineman, then it cannot be a chop block even if there is incidental contact or if the D-lineman engages the bypassing O-lineman. In the past, this has been a point on which CPJ has had to educate the officials. Possibly this was also a source for some of the chop block complaining (probably a distant second behind the misuse of 'chop' to refer to all forms of low blocking). People were seeing the high-low contact, but missing the fact that the high blocker wasn't engaging the D-lineman. That said, the refs sometimes call chop blocks that aren't and sometimes don't call chop blocks that are. However, I don't see how you can't keep the OG's at home to avoid the possibility of phantom chop clock calls without fundamentally altering the offense.