Mississippi state

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I really wish we would have hired Mike Leach. That offense would have been so much fun to watch here. Currently lighting up the defending national champs.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I really wish we would have hired Mike Leach. That offense would have been so much fun to watch here. Currently lighting up the defending national champs.
He would have been an interesting hire - if he was even an option/interested - but I'm not sure his year 1 record would have been much different. Our 2019 QB room looked a lot different than KJ Costello.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
He would have been an interesting hire - if he was even an option/interested - but I'm not sure his year 1 record would have been much different. Our 2019 QB room looked a lot different than KJ Costello.
Yeah I think he would have needed a grad transfer the first year most likely.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Reporter: "Coach what happened? Why did y'all lose to Arkansas?"

Mike Leach: Pulls out the the CGC excuse playbook... "1. We are going through the greatest transition I'm the history of football. 2. Arkansas has one of the most elite defenses in CFB. 3. Really proud of the way we fought and grew today..."

Lol keep bumping

Deleted member 2897

Reporter: "Coach what happened? Why did y'all lose to Arkansas?"

Mike Leach: Pulls out the the CGC excuse playbook... "1. We are going through the greatest transition I'm the history of football. 2. Arkansas has one of the most elite defenses in CFB. 3. Really proud of the way we fought and grew today..."

Lol keep bumping

I can tell you have no idea that what you just posted hurts your case further.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
Lighten up dude, I thought we were joking around.

I like cgc as well, I just wish we would run a different O

Deleted member 2897

Lighten up dude, I thought we were joking around.

I like cgc as well, I just wish we would run a different O

I was right there with you against LSU, it was a thing of beauty. And 2 minutes into the UCF game, I thought we were going to win six or seven games this year.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
I was right there with you against LSU, it was a thing of beauty. And 2 minutes into the UCF game, I thought we were going to win six or seven games this year.
Haha yes my thoughts exactly! But the crazy thing is, the the team (GT) is really close to doing just that, just gotta clean up the turn overs and penalties. It's still very early in the season.

slugboy

Staff member
I’m curious how Leach will pan out at Miss State, and Kiffin at Ole Miss. Leach gets some big upsets for his team but also has Falcons-ish losses.
He and Kiffin both seem to wear out their welcome before too long. I wonder what they’ve learned from their previous stops?

(FWIW, I think Kiffin might be maturing more than Leach—I think Leach today is the same as who he was 15 years ago, and he’s going to be the same in 15 years, if he lasts that long).

LawyersGunsandMoney

Georgia Tech Fan
I’m curious how Leach will pan out at Miss State, and Kiffin at Ole Miss. Leach gets some big upsets for his team but also has Falcons-ish losses.
He and Kiffin both seem to wear out their welcome before too long. I wonder what they’ve learned from their previous stops?

(FWIW, I think Kiffin might be maturing more than Leach—I think Leach today is the same as who he was 15 years ago, and he’s going to be the same in 15 years, if he lasts that long).

I don’t think Leach wore out his stay in Pullman. I used to lived on the pacific coast and the wazzu guys all loved him.

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
Honestly MSU dominated but had turnovers. It wasn’t a scheme failure, it was 3 INTs. But there were people here who would blame CPJ’s scheme when we ran for 350 yards but lost due to fumbles and bad defense.
There’s people blaming CDP’s scheme when Tech puts up 350+ yards but doesn’t score or win because of turnovers and no kicking game.

Leach and CPJ are very similar. Offensive masterminds that have been hamstrung by poor recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. Plus their attitudes and demeanors are if the “what you see is what you get” variety. They’ve got no interest in changing who they are to appease anybody. Leach gets some love in the media for being quirky and witty, and I think CPJ could’ve done the same if he wanted. When he’s been a guest on ESPN shows he’s been pretty entertaining. But he had no interest in being the entertainer that Leach is when he was coaching.

Kiffin has definitely matured since he was at Tennessee, although I’m still not sold on him being a great coach. I guess we’ll find out.

Pointer

Helluva Engineer
There’s people blaming CDP’s scheme when Tech puts up 350+ yards but doesn’t score or win because of turnovers and no kicking game.

Leach and CPJ are very similar. Offensive masterminds that have been hamstrung by poor recruiting on the defensive side of the ball. Plus their attitudes and demeanors are if the “what you see is what you get” variety. They’ve got no interest in changing who they are to appease anybody. Leach gets some love in the media for being quirky and witty, and I think CPJ could’ve done the same if he wanted. When he’s been a guest on ESPN shows he’s been pretty entertaining. But he had no interest in being the entertainer that Leach is when he was coaching.

Kiffin has definitely matured since he was at Tennessee, although I’m still not sold on him being a great coach. I guess we’ll find out.
You have a whole secondary that is in high regard and a bunch of guys on the D-line who are getting national recognition recruited by CPJ.

But I do think CGC is a better recruiter than CPJ, but he also recruits in ways that I don't agree with such as pulling offers, gray shirting, processing... These things naturally lead to better recruiting. He's also a great brand ambassador/sales man. Don't forget CGC is also coming in at a time where we have a better AD who is actually putting more into the program, which saw an uptick in recruiting before the coaching change (as in the several start RB's, decent wide receivers, and the defensive guys I mentioned above).

Coaching wise, we know he had success as a d-coordinator, but is still unproven as a head coach/in game coach. He seems to have put a few coaches in place that I am impressed with such as CMC, CTC, and CBK. The question is can he combine better recruiting with great in game coaching like we had before, because that will be what puts GT over the hump.

Without coaching to match the recruiting up tick, we will not see a good product.

I am hopeful, however, because there is progress from last year. We shall see where this all goes.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Honestly MSU dominated but had turnovers. It wasn’t a scheme failure, it was 3 INTs. But there were people here who would blame CPJ’s scheme when we ran for 350 yards but lost due to fumbles and bad defense.
Is is also like when people blame CDP's scheme when we get lots of yards but lost due to interceptions and Special Teams? ;)

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
Coaches and assistants and schemes come and go. Through thick and thin, we have never failed to point fingers at the truly old standby's - the GTAA, the Hill, the Board of Regents and last, but certainly not least, calculus. Can you imagine how much better we would have been at FB over the years if calculus had not been invented? created? discovered?:whistle: