Jolly Good Fellow
Bill Cury is a GT man all the way! He is a badass too! Gotta love the all black

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 265

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
He is an outstanding guy and was a great player. Maybe only a decent to good head coach but a great Tech man regardless. President was considering scrapping football before he took over. He won 2 straight vs the mutts and made us relevant again. No grounds to hate on him IMO.

I was going to point out that he did win two straight versus UGA. An even better, he did it with a transfer QB from UGA.

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
I Lol do you miss his 31-43-4 record?
Haven't been a Tech fan for long, have you?

In the late 70's, things were horrible. Worst facilities in the nation (thanks, Coach Dodd).

The defacto recruiting coordinator was Susan Phinney. Now Susan was a great lady, but she would be the first say she was out of her element. She was an Auburn grad, so Auburn would call her and tell her about kids they didn't want. But that's how bad things were.

Homer Rice hired Curry because he was the best we could get--a guy with no head coaching experience. But he was enthusiastic and one of Dodd's boys, which Homer knew would help with fund raising. And Homer knew fund raising.

Curry took a 1 win team his first year (1980) and progressed to a bowl win in 1985--and there weren't bowls on every corner in those days. An upset by Wake kept the 1986 team from going. Curry then left for Alabama, with Dodd's encouragement.

Yes, Curry's offense was predictable. But I have never understood the criticism of the guy by GT fans. Ignorance of the circumstances is the only explanation, so I am trying to educate some folks.

Some of my best friends grew up with Curry in College Park. Curry is very loyal to those guys and their families to this day. He is just a good guy and a great Tech man.

CobbTech

Jolly Good Fellow
I wasn't born while Curry was here so I guess I'm not educated. Just know that fans usually bash Curry like they do every other coach we've had lol. I've been a Tech fan for almost 20 years. I just thought it was funny that the OP wished we had a coach that was cool and wore sunglasses. From the looks of Brian's avatar, he's probably younger than me.

gtguy

Georgia Tech Fan
Homer Rice did NOT hire Curry.He hired Cremins and Bobby Ross.
Good man ,average coach.

THWG

jacketup

Helluva Engineer
Homer Rice did NOT hire Curry.He hired Cremins and Bobby Ross.
Good man ,average coach.

THWG
That's right--Rice was hired about four months after Curry. Point is the same--Curry was the best we could do at the time.

I understand why we hired the inexperienced Curry in 1979 or 80. I am not sure why we hired a coach with no BCS level experience at the end of 2007---on a 7 year contract at top 15 money. The result has been about the same.

LibertyTurns

Banned
Haven't been a Tech fan for long, have you?

Yes, Curry's offense was predictable. But I have never understood the criticism of the guy by GT fans. Ignorance of the circumstances is the only explanation, so I am trying to educate some folks.
I'm entering my 5th decade of being a GT fan. I'm no football expert but when I can call the play before the O breaks the huddle, so can nearly everyone else in the stadium.

Yes, he's a fine GT man. I'm glad he dove in when we were at our worst.

I was excited when he left for Bammer. Addition by subtraction as he had accomplished all he could ever accomplish at GT.

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
I'm entering my 5th decade of being a GT fan. I'm no football expert but when I can call the play before the O breaks the huddle, so can nearly everyone else in the stadium.

Yes, he's a fine GT man. I'm glad he dove in when we were at our worst.

I was excited when he left for Bammer. Addition by subtraction as he had accomplished all he could ever accomplish at GT.
All I know is my first game as a Tech student (1984) was a 20-16 upset over Alabama. Then we beat UGA that year and did it again in 1985. Only one other Tech coach since has beaten the mutts twice so I could live with a predictable offense with production like that.

Towaliga

Helluva Engineer
I was living out of state in the midwest when BC was the coach and couldn't catch much news about GT football at the time, so I can't comment one way or the other about his coaching. However, if you want to know more about him as a man, read his book "10 Men You Meet in the Huddle." Although only a small portion of it is directly related to GT, you'll finish reading it glad to have someone like that associated with Tech.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
All I know is my first game as a Tech student (1984) was a 20-16 upset over Alabama. Then we beat UGA that year and did it again in 1985. Only one other Tech coach since has beaten the mutts twice so I could live with a predictable offense with production like that.
Ross beat UGA in '89 and '90 and O'Leary beat them in '98, '99 and '00. But that doesn't detract from your point.