Mills

Techster

Helluva Engineer
There was a lot of preseason hype about Skov too and I believe he said he's not the second coming of AP.

A lot of that was from the fans. I think CPJ said he could help us at BB, and somehow our fans went off the rails on the hype train. I never understood the basis for it. The guy had like under 20 carries all of his career at Stanford, played fullback...and somehow he was supposed to step in run for 1,000 yards? I think he was solid, but we sure did get ahead of ourselves there.

Mills is going to be a stud. His power running style and one cut ability is tailored for being a BB. He's got enough juice to get long runs, even if doesn't quite have MM's homerun ability in the open field. He's a bigger body than MM so his ability to run through arm tackles and make someone miss on the first level is going to lead to bigger runs. I'm excited to have a homerun threat at BB.

If you pay attention to CPJ, he does tell you like it is. It's just fans tend to read what they want from it. I remember when he talked about Michael Summer pushing to play WR as a Freshmen. Most of us thought it was because of his reported 4.3 speed, he was going to be a deep threat in our offense. Well, after playing for three years, we know Michael was a solid WR that was a great blocker...not so much a big threat receiving though.

In conclusion...let's wait to see what we have. If CPJ says a player will play...they'll play and help in various ways CPJ needs him to. It doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be a star.

Dustman

Helluva Engineer
A lot of that was from the fans. I think CPJ said he could help us at BB, and somehow our fans went off the rails on the hype train. I never understood the basis for it. The guy had like under 20 carries all of his career at Stanford, played fullback...and somehow he was supposed to step in run for 1,000 yards? I think he was solid, but we sure did get ahead of ourselves there.

Mills is going to be a stud. His power running style and one cut ability is tailored for being a BB. He's got enough juice to get long runs, even if doesn't quite have MM's homerun ability in the open field. He's a bigger body than MM so his ability to run through arm tackles and make someone miss on the first level is going to lead to bigger runs. I'm excited to have a homerun threat at BB.

If you pay attention to CPJ, he does tell you like it is. It's just fans tend to read what they want from it. I remember when he talked about Michael Summer pushing to play WR as a Freshmen. Most of us thought it was because of his reported 4.3 speed, he was going to be a deep threat in our offense. Well, after playing for three years, we know Michael was a solid WR that was a great blocker...not so much a big threat receiving though.

In conclusion...let's wait to see what we have. If CPJ says a player will play...they'll play and help in various ways CPJ needs him to. It doesn't necessarily mean he's going to be a star.
Yes. Sorry if I wasn't clear on that. The Skov hype came from the fans and what I meant to say was that CPJ set us straight on him from the beginning. I completely agree with you that CPJ is a straight shooter.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college-football/b-back-marcus-marshall-returns-to-camp/nsGTC/

Alluded to it earlier, but this is the dimension Mills brings to the table that the smaller MM doesn't quite have:

“I think he’s taken advantage of (the extra reps),” Cook said. “He had a couple of intermediate runs (on Monday) and he was just doing a decent job of running through armed tackles and for us at that position. That’s important. We didn’t have that a ton last year.”

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
http://www.ajc.com/news/sports/college-football/b-back-marcus-marshall-returns-to-camp/nsGTC/

Alluded to it earlier, but this is the dimension Mills brings to the table that the smaller MM doesn't quite have:

“I think he’s taken advantage of (the extra reps),” Cook said. “He had a couple of intermediate runs (on Monday) and he was just doing a decent job of running through armed tackles and for us at that position. That’s important. We didn’t have that a ton last year.”
"Thunder and Lightning!"

I know, it's been done before, but it fits.

ilovetheoption

Helluva Engineer
I'm trying to remember the spring game, but I SEEM to recall that Mills had that Zach Laskeyish hit-the-hole-HARD thing going for him.

Or am I misremembering?

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
I'm trying to remember the spring game, but I SEEM to recall that Mills had that Zach Laskeyish hit-the-hole-HARD thing going for him.

Or am I misremembering?

No, you're not mis remembering at all. He hit the hole hard and with purpose in the spring game. My cousin and I looked at each other and commented on the this exact thing!

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Mills does not remind me of Laskey at all. I am sorry. His center of gravity might be 6 inches closer to the ground and his leverage in the trash is very different. Laskey was quick to the MESH, for sure, but Mills (given a very small sample size) appeared to read blocking and follow the right guy etc, better than pretty much anybody we have had there. I will be the first to admit that I need to see a lot more of Mr. Mills before making a solid characterization of his talents, but........

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I guess it's just the Tech fan in me looking for something to fret about...but i don't like the fact that he is getting the chance to run through arm tackles in our own practices. that must mean we are doomed defensively!!!:eek:;)

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I guess it's just the Tech fan in me looking for something to fret about...but i don't like the fact that he is getting the chance to run through arm tackles in our own practices. that must mean we are doomed defensively!!!:eek:;)

Actually, Cook was transcribed as saying that Mills was running through "armed tackles." We apparently gave weapons to Gamble and Kallon. They had guns, and he still ran through them. Now, I don't know if our tackles can be armed when we play BC, but it would be fitting for Dublin ... eeeeyyyyoooo!!!

NatvAtln

Georgia Tech Fan
I graduated from Ware County High down in Waycross in 1998. My dad still lives there and I now live up in the Atlanta suburbs. I talked with Dedrick about our "Waycross roots" at Fan Day. He seems like a kid who is focused!
My Uncle by marriage was from Waycross high school and he went to tech and played Wrecker back for Tech and was a Team captain in either 1966 or 1967.He held the record for tackles in one game for quite awhile (17 I believe ) . Now I am 75 now so memory could be off somewhat. His name is David Barber and I am only replying to inform all that we have had other really good players from the area.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
Glad to see my impressions from last year confirmed by the coaching staff. MM has improved substantially, however, and we'll see if he's learned how to do that better. If not Mills will win the job.

Btw, I saw a couple of fonts above saying that Mills is bigger then MM. The roster has them at almost exactly the same size. Is this an impression or is the roster reporting fanciful stats? Again.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
If MM and Mills dominate i'd like to see Benson go to Aback next yr..He's too good to sit.
In the last CPJ interview in the camp thread, on a question about kick returns he said Mills was getting a shot "but I don't know why you'd want to do that" (implying he's going to be a big part of the offense) and that Benson was back there too. I can see that being a good spot for Kirvonte to make an impact if Mills and Marshall dominate BB carries the next couple years.

vamosjackets

GT Athlete
Featured Member
This!
Great expectations:
Drummond
Custis
Autry
Leggett
Allen
Sims
And I may have missed some. None lived up to Internet legendary status that they became.
But, there are also those who did live up to (or surpassed) the internet expectations:
Nesbitt
Dwyer
Thomas
D.Morgan
Burnett (both of them)
Attaochu
Gotsis
Shaq
Godhigh
Orwin
Smelter
JT
... and this list could go on a lot longer than the other one.

Last edited:

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Custis, Autry, Leggett never played in a game at Tech (in our system). Not much of a chance of living up to their "legendary status." Sims was a QB for 3 years. Drummond was juiced. Allen has been beat up (but has looked really good when he was healthy). Mills is a true freshman, so give him a chance. Let's see him play before you call him an "internet legend" bust.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Custis, Autry, Leggett never played in a game at Tech (in our system). Not much of a chance of living up to their "legendary status." Sims was a QB for 3 years. Drummond was juiced. Allen has been beat up (but has looked really good when he was healthy). Mills is a true freshman, so give him a chance. Let's see him play before you call him an "internet legend" bust.
Don't think he meant that. Just that he hoped that Mills can live up to the hype we're throwing on him. I hope he can as well!