Mills

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I thought this may deserve its own thread. What do we make of CPJ's comments in the early going? I am from the CPJ just says it like it is camp. So, just how far along is this kid? I thought he looked very very good in the spring game, but it is such a small sample size under controlled conditions. Any thoughts?

fairweatherhater

Georgia Tech Fan
The big tell will be when MM comes back from injury. That said, it's great to hear CPJ saying that Mills is coming along so well so quickly. The comments about him knowing football well gives me optimism that we will attempt more complicated B-Back motions earlier in Mills' career then we otherwise would. Most teams are not going to expect a B-Back roll out for a pass when we put in a true freshman in the backfield.

OldJacketFan

Helluva Engineer
@Boomergump like you I enjoyed his work in the spring game. While it was a small sample I did see what I call a natural running back. Good vision, quick feet and decisive. Don't know much about his top end speed but he's going to get his yardage. I will say when CPJ says he's going to play tells me a lot.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I think what we potentially have in Mills is a great combination of preferred traits. He's obviously a great athlete who is very difficult to bring down. But more than this he has great instincts. I think this is what coach meant by saying "he understands football". It's in the same vein as when you hear a defensive coach talk about a player as having a "nose for the football." It's hard to put a concrete value on it, but it high and when you combine it with great athleticism, you have a very special player!

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
For me, I really liked Marcus Marshall last year, and think he's going to be a really good B-Back. Showed natural RB skills with ball, plus nice vision.
If Mills is pushing Marshall for B-Back spot, he must be really good.
If he doesn't fix his ball security issues, it doesn't matter. Otherwise, I agree. He needs to improve his blocking, as well.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
@Boomergump like you I enjoyed his work in the spring game. While it was a small sample I did see what I call a natural running back. Good vision, quick feet and decisive. Don't know much about his top end speed but he's going to get his yardage. I will say when CPJ says he's going to play tells me a lot.
Agreed. My initial impression was he reminded me of somebody like Emitt Smith in his Gator days. (Don't go crazy people with the you can't compare him to a legend, he hasn't done anything yet talk. I am not trying to do that.) I am just talking about impressions in a general way, kind of like a flash back. Remember how ES wasn't that big or fast but always seemed to run behind the right guy and find the right crease. His balance was always good and he took on hits the right way. That kind of stuff.

You have to love the comments "hard to tackle" and "understands football". That stuff can be wildly extrapolated upon by a rabid fanbase, but, you almost never hear CPJ say stuff like that, especially when the subject is a frosh.

BigDaddyBuzz

Helluva Engineer
I like the 1-2 combo of Mills and Marshall. Marshall has more top end speed but Mills is plenty fast and a much better make you miss guy with power up the middle. This is extremely important at the B-back position. I like Marshall a lot so I think it speaks volumes of Mills potential that he may be the starter.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I like the 1-2 combo of Mills and Marshall. Marshall has more top end speed but Mills is plenty fast and a much better make you miss guy with power up the middle. This is extremely important at the B-back position. I like Marshall a lot so I think it speaks volumes of Mills potential that he may be the starter.
Have Mills pound on 'em for three qtrs then when they're gassed and ready to scream "no mas" we hit 'em with pure speed when the holes are closing slower.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
I just hope we see him on the field, unlike the last two BB talked about in a similar fashion (Leggett, Custis).
Never heard praises like this for Legget, Custis is another story though if he was still on the team mills might would be redshirting.

I have had people say we shouldn't play him and we should redshirt him. I have been saying this since the spring though, if he's this good play him because I want the best 11 on the field.

cuttysark

Ramblin' Wreck
When you see the comment coming from CPJ saying that: "He (Mills) understands football", that's code for: He runs tough; can block; knows his assignments; and gets yards when there's nothing there. To say that about a true frosh tells me this kid is going to make his reps count when he's in the game.

Gtech24

Jolly Good Fellow
Mills reminds me a lot of Chubb. Hard to tackle great vision not the fastest just tough.

I think he's gonna play a lot. I can firmly see him and MM slit carries.
Chubb actually runs a 10.6 100m (same as JT). That's what makes him so scary.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts are that we have a returning soph as our starter and no other real significant experience at the spot. I was fully expecting one of the bbacks to be talked up by Johnson if for no other reason than to push Marshall. That's not to say that Mills isn't as good as advertised but we really don't have much to go on at this point. I do hope we don't waste a year of his eligibility having him get 3 carries a game or something. Either RS him, get him significant carries at bback (~10 a game or so at least), or have him on the field at Aback ala Allen when we had Dwyer.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
My thoughts are that we have a returning soph as our starter and no other real significant experience at the spot. I was fully expecting one of the bbacks to be talked up by Johnson if for no other reason than to push Marshall. That's not to say that Mills isn't as good as advertised but we really don't have much to go on at this point. I do hope we don't waste a year of his eligibility having him get 3 carries a game or something. Either RS him, get him significant carries at bback (~10 a game or so at least), or have him on the field at Aback ala Allen when we had Dwyer.
Are you talking about the same cpj that coaches GT? You should know by now he doesn't go blow smoke, just to push another player. If he says it, he believes it imo. People that are close to the team have already heard talk that mills is the real deal and might be one of the best players on the team, and also that even if Marshall was healthy mills would be starting today if they had a game. Once again this is cpj we are talking about, not just any football coach.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Are you talking about the same cpj that coaches GT? You should know by now he doesn't go blow smoke, just to push another player. If he says it, he believes it imo. People that are close to the team have already heard talk that mills is the real deal and might be one of the best players on the team, and also that even if Marshall was healthy mills would be starting today if they had a game. Once again this is cpj we are talking about, not just any football coach.

Yes I am. And I've heard that same stuff before. I remember one guy that was described as being too good to keep off the field. He then proceeded to get little playing time for a couple years after. Johnson is still a football coach and fully capable and willing to engage in coach speak from time to time. I have no doubt he views Mills as the best of the group that basically has no game experience. I also expected whoever emerged from that group as Johnson's favorite would be talked up as pushing for Marshall's spot. People buy way too much into the idea that Johnson is so different than other coaches.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Yes I am. And I've heard that same stuff before. I remember one guy that was described as being too good to keep off the field. He then proceeded to get little playing time for a couple years after. Johnson is still a football coach and fully capable and willing to engage in coach speak from time to time. I have no doubt he views Mills as the best of the group that basically has no game experience. I also expected whoever emerged from that group as Johnson's favorite would be talked up as pushing for Marshall's spot. People buy way too much into the idea that Johnson is so different than other coaches.
I can see where you are coming from, I just don't think he blows smoke, coach talk? Yes, but blow smoke like that? I just don't see it imo, but I don't get what you are saying.