Mike Bobinski and The Search of Doom

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm not aware that I "attacked" anyone, other than to remind them that they didn't know anymore than anyone else. The way that things played out sure seemed to me to verify what I said. And I didn't have any preconceived notions; I just believe in drawing conclusions from facts and not conjecture.
Actually, I was the one who was attacked and called names because of what I posted.

How did you KNOW @BigDaddyBuzz and @DaBiz didn't have legitimate sources? Speculation based on your preconceptions about MBob.

The facts are that we did not hire a coach in the time frame promised by MBob, and we had focused on the coach the guys claiming sources said we had. The fact is that MBob started working on this question in January, and we ended up with a guy whose present gig may be paying to leave.

I hope it works out, but I was hopeful about Groh too.

mmbt0ne

Jolly Good Fellow
Hoping Pastner can prove me wrong but this feels like a desperation hire by an AD who had no plan and no ability to recruit a top tier candidate.

My Memphis-fan friends are as happy to rid of Pastner as my Dayton-fan friends were to get rid of Gregory.

WreckinGT

Helluva Engineer
well it does matter in the case of are the fans going to show up and support this? Memphis couldn't be happier hes gone the only reason he wasn't fired is his monster buyout of 10.6 so they couldnt do it. either way i wish your team the best and hope hes successful. Im sure my team will be in the same boat next year after we fire Craig neal
There is no coach in the country that could have brought the fans out just by being hired. We will have to win and recruit well to begin generating interest again. He is getting his chance to do that.

vadimivich

Georgia Tech Fan
The idea that he's going to come into Atlanta and recruit well when the only former Atlanta player (from a powerhouse AAU team that's hugely important to GT as well) went to play for him and had a miserable experience is fairly off base. He's going to need to work very hard to even begin to sniff another Atlanta Celtic guy for a while.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
The idea that he's going to come into Atlanta and recruit well when the only former Atlanta player (from a powerhouse AAU team that's hugely important to GT as well) went to play for him and had a miserable experience is fairly off base. He's going to need to work very hard to even begin to sniff another Atlanta Celtic guy for a while.

Unfortunate, but true. Hoping the change if scenery and cooler seat reinvigorates him.

How did you KNOW @BigDaddyBuzz and @DaBiz didn't have legitimate sources? Speculation based on your preconceptions about MBob.

The facts are that we did not hire a coach in the time frame promised by MBob, and we had focused on the coach the guys claiming sources said we had. The fact is that MBob started working on this question in January, and we ended up with a guy whose present gig may be paying to leave.

I hope it works out, but I was hopeful about Groh too.
All I can say about these so-called legitimate sources is that the story changing from one day to the next seems to me to negate any legitimacy of their claims, and that has nothing to do with any preconceptions I may or may not have had about MBob. If a story is legitimate Tuesday, why is there a completely different story on Wednesday? I repeat that they didn't know any more about anything than I did. I also repeat that any internal source who is divulging what should be confidential information should be fired. I think I covered the time frame argument in my initial post today.....either MBob wasn't a good salesman for Tech or Tech is not the attractive job that we all thought that it is or MBob got "played." Any or all of those is possible. and none of them reflect any preconceived thoughts on my part about MBob.

Ibeeballin

Im a 3*

I'm assuming you are talking about Shaq Goodwin?

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Kobi Simmons' dad is HC of the 17 Atlanta Celtics. Also has a great relationship with Cabral Huff. We all can connect the dots from there.

I know I'm pushing hard for Huff, but it's because I know what he can do for us with regards to recruiting.

BoShow_Memphis

Georgia Tech Fan
You would only know then if you watched teams other than Memphis play.

Nick King (Xfer)
Austin Nichols (Xfer)
Joe Jackson (?)
Shaq Goodwin (he's not a fan obv)
Dedric Lawson
Two brothers awhile back, one plays for the Nuggets now. (One Xfer to Tennesee)
Pastner also recruited Will Barton of the Den Nuggets

BoShow_Memphis

Georgia Tech Fan
Will say this.. If he can convince Charlie Moore to come to GT with him - assuming they don't block us and keep our current class, he would have a good base to start from.

He is known as a recruiter and is now in a fertile recruiting ground. He has a chance to make a splash with the right assistant hires. It must be Sharman White.
Memphis is an immensely fertile recruiting ground my friend. I don't see Memphis blocking anyone from GT. We just happy to be out from under the 10.8mil buyouy. Others are reporting pastner will actually owe the UofM 500k to go to GT.

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Memphis is an immensely fertile recruiting ground my friend. I don't see Memphis blocking anyone from GT. We just happy to be out from under the 10.8mil buyouy. Others are reporting pastner will actually owe the UofM 500k to go to GT.

I don't see any way that Pastner ends up owing UofM. I get that is what his contract penalty was if he decided to leave UofM, but that clause is not going to be put to use. In fact, the Memphis papers are speculating the opposite, Tech will pay Pastner less and that UofM will pay Pastner for a number of years to make up the difference. That makes sense and is what is good for everyone: Tech pays less for a risky coach, Pastner gets to move on from a bad situation while saving face, Memphis has to pay some money, but far less than the $10.5M they would have owed him had the fired him.

http://www.commercialappeal.com/col...uick-thoughts-on-Josh-Pastner--375053331.html
"Speaking of which, I wrote last night that Pastner and his agent would try to get Memphis to make up the difference between his Memphis contract and his contract at Georgia Tech. Obviously, that has been worked out. I don’t know the numbers yet, but I imagine a compromise has been reached. Memphis certainly won’t make up all the difference, but I suspect we’ll find out Pastner got a handsome parting gift."

BoShow_Memphis

Georgia Tech Fan
Anyone know any other Memphis fans who'd come on here and answer that? It's a good question.
We have no idea. Our theories range from he just lives such a different lifestyle it is hard for today's young kids to relate. He doesn't cuss,smoke,drink, use caffeine, and expects his players to be almost as squeaky clean. Which is impossible. The other theories are just that his inability to excel in x and o's and his minutes for players just frustrates them to no end. In turn causing transfers from top 100 LOCAL MEMPHIS HIGH SCHOOL recruits. See Austin Nichols and Nick King

Buzz776g

Jolly Good Fellow
We have no idea. Our theories range from he just lives such a different lifestyle it is hard for today's young kids to relate. He doesn't cuss,smoke,drink, use caffeine, and expects his players to be almost as squeaky clean. Which is impossible. The other theories are just that his inability to excel in x and o's and his minutes for players just frustrates them to no end. In turn causing transfers from top 100 LOCAL MEMPHIS HIGH SCHOOL recruits. See Austin Nichols and Nick King
Can you elaborate on "minutes for players"?

BoShow_Memphis

Georgia Tech Fan
Can you elaborate on "minutes for players"?
Sure. His minutes for players had no rhyme or reason to them. Especially bench players. Nobody had a clear role from game to game. A player may get 20min one game,5min the next game, and then 12 the next. It was pretty much across the board. @GaryParrishCBS is the guy to follow. Natl columnist and local Memphis radio head. For young players not having a defined role or expected minutes from game to game was unsettling at the least

Interesting post just made on the AJC blogs ---

"GT fans- If you value integrity at all, you should applaud this hire. As a Memphis fan, I feel relief in that Josh is getting a chance at a fresh start. He got much more criticism than he deserved. I think he will ultimately by successful. Too bad it won't be at Memphis. Needless to say, my view is in the minority. Go Tigers! Best of luck Josh! Your true fans will still be rooting for you!"

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer

"GT fans- If you value integrity at all, you should applaud this hire. As a Memphis fan, I feel relief in that Josh is getting a chance at a fresh start. He got much more criticism than he deserved. I think he will ultimately by successful. Too bad it won't be at Memphis. Needless to say, my view is in the minority. Go Tigers! Best of luck Josh! Your true fans will still be rooting for you!"

Great. Brian Gregory 2.0!

BoShow_Memphis

Georgia Tech Fan

No doubt Josh Pastner is the best human being I've ever met. And much better human than me. It was his getting outcoached, refusal to hire a proven x's and o assistant, and all the high profile local Memphis high school recruits transferring in mass exodus. He received a ton of criticism but some of it was warranted. But your program will be clean and your student athletes will graduate.