Midtown’s Magic 🎱 @ NIL

billga99

Ramblin' Wreck
the portal coming at the same time is what did this. i think both together are very fair and should exist. the problem is there’s no reason for the ivey’s, mccollum’s and stone’s of the world to be transferring when they are every day starters. it’s very clearly just for the NIL deal and that is what kills the amateur feel of the sport

NCAA could greatly reduce this if they just made you ineligible for NIL deals for a year after transferring similar to how you used to have to sit s year if it was a non grad transfer.
except the NCAA can't touch or regulate NIL money because of court decisions. They can control immediate eligibility. I would only allow transfer not sitting out a year if the head coach or their position coach leaves.

slugboy

Staff member
the portal coming at the same time is what did this. i think both together are very fair and should exist. the problem is there’s no reason for the ivey’s, mccollum’s and stone’s of the world to be transferring when they are every day starters. it’s very clearly just for the NIL deal and that is what kills the amateur feel of the sport

NCAA could greatly reduce this if they just made you ineligible for NIL deals for a year after transferring similar to how you used to have to sit s year if it was a non grad transfer.

The NCAA can’t make a player ineligible for NIL benefits. They lost that court case badly.

Most of what players are getting is not NIL. In some cases, it’s window dressing to look like NIL, and in some cases it’s just cash.

When this case started, there were female gymnasts and volleyball players who had huge “influencer” followings on Instagram, Snapchat, TikTok, and other services. Some were making substantial income there. The NCAA tied to shut that down and ban them from competition.

The NCAA can’t ban NIL, but they could actually enforce some of their rules.

However, how much NIL income is actually NIL? This is clearly pay-to-play, while the volleyball players were actually making NIL money

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer
The easiest fix is to restore the having to sit a year for anything other than a grad transfer or medical hardship. Remove national signing day and instead have all scholarship offers be immediately hard committable (and trigger the transfer rule if you back out). Grant a release if there is headcoaching change if someone wishes. Head coaching change removes the transfer restrictions.

Lil G

Ramblin' Wreck
The easiest fix is to restore the having to sit a year for anything other than a grad transfer or medical hardship. Remove national signing day and instead have all scholarship offers be immediately hard committable (and trigger the transfer rule if you back out). Grant a release if there is headcoaching change if someone wishes. Head coaching change removes the transfer restrictions.
Yeah I’m pretty over the “commit”. Has lost any meaning with NIL induced flips at play. It’s a business and to be treated like one. You don’t accept a job offer and then decide on another job before onboarding. There should be rules around the this, as schools need to plan their roster out and not have to fill holes last second because their recruits are being poached. It’s a huge opportunity cost because you could have had other recruits, who are no longer available. It needs to be one decision and a final one.

g0lftime

Helluva Engineer
Yeah I’m pretty over the “commit”. Has lost any meaning with NIL induced flips at play. It’s a business and to be treated like one. You don’t accept a job offer and then decide on another job before onboarding. There should be rules around the this, as schools need to plan their roster out and not have to fill holes last second because their recruits are being poached. It needs to be one decision and a final one.
Even the NFL has more rules protecting teams than the NCAA. There is a draft system and salary contracts. The current system in college D1 is based on how much tv pays your conference and how much money is available for NIL. The system is stacked for the SEC and B1G now and no one to reel it in to be more equitable. The NCAA has no ability to enforce any recruiting violations now. Currently on a path for two power conferences and then everyone else.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck

It's not really that it kills the amateur feel of the sport, it's that it opens the door for a team with a big wallet to just poach the best players from teams with less cap space (tic). Alabama or aTm could just stop recruiting out of high school and devote those funds to "NIL" collectives and just hire the best players from the P5 every year. NIL makes the playing way more weighted towards the teams with the biggest budgets which in turn narrows the teams that actually have a chance to get to the playoffs.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
Even the NFL has more rules protecting teams than the NCAA. There is a draft system and salary contracts. The current system in college D1 is based on how much tv pays your conference and how much money is available for NIL. The system is stacked for the SEC and B1G now and no one to reel it in to be more equitable. The NCAA has no ability to enforce any recruiting violations now. Currently on a path for two power conferences and then everyone else.
Even further than that: we're on a path to like 8 power TEAMS that will ever make the playoffs/win the NC.

Techster

Helluva Engineer

This. I've said the same things repeatedly. Let the SAs transfer one time without it affecting their eligibility clock, they just need to sit a year. So if a school REALLY wants to tamper and "buy" an SA, at minimum they'll have to shell out for 2 seasons. 1 Season to sit, the other for him to play his first year there. If an SA graduates, he's earned the right to go wherever he wants without sitting...so the sit 1 year rule shouldn't be enforced on grad transfers.

I think the transfer portal would shrink by more than 50%, and you'll see less movement with first line starters. The NCAA didn't think any of this through so now we have basically a free agent system with LESS rules than what goes on in the pros.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
Even further than that: we're on a path to like 8 power TEAMS that will ever make the playoffs/win the NC.
This I disagree with.

There's so much talent out there, and only 100 or so players can even play on ONE team alone. Only 25 or so will start. The players who want to start at one of the "BIG" schools but don't will transfer elsewhere. And I think NIL has actually made the blue blood field BIGGER. Colorado hasn't been in the spotlight in ages. Ole Miss had their moments but they had never been truly competitors until Kiffin and NIL improved their roster. Now with the playoffs about to expand I think more and more teams will be able to compete for the NC.

roadkill

Helluva Engineer
As said in another thread devoted to this topic, the decision by the NCAA to eliminate the one-year sit-out rule just as NIL was coming into play is a complete head-scratcher. It's one of the very few realistic (enforceable) means they have left to rein in the free-for-all that is occurring now.

FlatsLander

Ramblin' Wreck
This I disagree with.

There's so much talent out there, and only 100 or so players can even play on ONE team alone. Only 25 or so will start. The players who want to start at one of the "BIG" schools but don't will transfer elsewhere. And I think NIL has actually made the blue blood field BIGGER. Colorado hasn't been in the spotlight in ages. Ole Miss had their moments but they had never been truly competitors until Kiffin and NIL improved their roster. Now with the playoffs about to expand I think more and more teams will be able to compete for the NC.
I hope you're right.

GT33

Helluva Engineer
You don’t accept a job offer and then decide on another job before onboarding.
It’s happening A LOT these days. Used to be your word and commitment meant something, but that’s not where we are today unfortunately. This is going to get way worse before it gets better.

Just wait until GT gets ready to line up for our next natty but nasty mutt buttcracks buy off our key players after the ACCCG and we get mauled with a depleted roster.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
If he is just testing the waters that is true. Given that he appeared to be in line to either start or be a major contributor, I think most people here expect that he has been recruited to go somewhere else.
Here’s what’s gonna happen…

Stone will get a huge NIL offer from Alabama, and turn it down because, after investigating, he learns that Tech culture can’t be beaten by anybody. And all this was actually a ploy by Key to get positive PR for recruiting purpose’s because he’s playing 3 dimensional chess.

😊

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I have been thinking more about the topic of NIL and specifically at the reactions some of our fans have when kids portal out. I don’t have animosity towards the kids leaving - if anything it’s more a sense of loss for what college athletics is intentionally becoming.

It seems to me, that the difference between college athletics and professional athletics is blurring in many ways (which frankly make the NCAA product inferior to the professional one).

If the connection between player to school to alum continues to weaken, then why would I want to watch smaller, slower players with inferior scheme and ability? Professional sports have better athletes, doing it as a full time job and without limitation on practice or coaching. People go to minor league games for a cheap ticket or proximity. Full stop.

I think college athletes are moving their way towards the difficult life of a minor leaguer. In a vast majority of cases, you’re not going to make more [̲̅$̲̅(̲̅100)̲̅$̲̅] than you would as a college educated, white-collar worker the by playing minor league sports.

I don’t really get where this is going, as the point was always supposed to be kids wanting a college education played NCAA and those wanting to surpass the option played professionally. If anything the pros have pushed an ever increasingly untenable set of costs and complexity into the college ranks with this set up.
Hear, Hear!
I don't think the animosity is actually toward the kids, but it certainly comes off that way when we start to vent...
I think you're correct, a big part of the appeal of college athletics is the "bond" of having attended the same school and investing your time and effort in the same school. There is an additional level of bond / respect because we have that shared experience. Consequently, the fans expect the players to have the same level of commitment / loyalty and when a kid departs, its a more profound "abandonment" than professional ranks. In my mind, pro teams feel like a matter of geography and proximity; not the connection I feel to the college I attended or even the college my parents attended. I can't speak for everyone, of course, but I suspect a lot of people feel that way. To think that common bond is being diminished because "my guys" would shirk their loyalty and jump to the highest bidder feels more personal. Expressing that frustration often does come off as animosity toward the player, but I think its mostly misplaced.

It remains to be seen where this goes from here in terms of fans and following. I am sure the "new normal" will disenfranchise many fans, but I'm sure many more will step in to take their place, either willingly or just because they don't know better. ;)

CEB

Helluva Engineer
This I disagree with.

I'm not so optimistic. If there are a dozen "blue blood" or "elite" or "contenders" or whatever, no one school is getting rich collecting their 3rd and 4th string cast offs. The departures from those 12 schools are spread across 110 other programs; there aren't enough to change the fortunes of any significant number of programs.... especially when those programs are losing their top performers with some regularity.

Reality, there are 10-20 programs that have the potential to run away from the rest of college football (that's not new, but I think its accelerating). They have the power and the resources to do this even before NIL and the portal, but now they can essentially conduct a three-year tryout of every active college player in the nation and cherry pick whomever they need. They might fight amongst one another to poach the top guys, but they aren't fighting with anyone outside of that 20 team peer group. A big state school with massive alumni base and following may surprise everyone and elevate themselves to be part of that group of 20 (maybe Ole Miss or Colorado as you point out), but I don't for one second think this will result in leveling or expanding the field for all.

I think a lot of schools are going to find it really difficult to recruit, retain and develop talent. I just don't see how constant roster turnover is going to allow those teams to compete.... its certainly not going to be a benefit to them.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
except the NCAA can't touch or regulate NIL money because of court decisions. They can control immediate eligibility. I would only allow transfer not sitting out a year if the head coach or their position coach leaves.
I'd add if they graduated to the list of exceptions.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
100%

Peacone36

Helluva Engineer
NIL is a problem. The NCAA basically created “hamsterdam” to solve their own enforcement failures. That, combined with these ridiculous realignments (UCLA in the B1G) are eroding the very fabric of why CBB fans like myself prefer CBB over the NBA. It’s a money grab by all parties while integrity and regional rivalries are tossed by the wayside.

I’ve always said that I wasn’t against players receiving money but you can’t create a free market system, that’s just ridiculous. Of course that’s exactly what the idiots did.

Ramble1885

Helluva Engineer
NIL is a problem. The NCAA basically created “hamsterdam” to solve their own enforcement failures. That, combined with these ridiculous realignments (UCLA in the B1G) are eroding the very fabric of why CBB fans like myself prefer CBB over the NBA. It’s a money grab by all parties while integrity and regional rivalries are tossed by the wayside.

I’ve always said that I wasn’t against players receiving money but you can’t create a free market system, that’s just ridiculous. Of course that’s exactly what the idiots did.
I think NIL can be a good thing, and in some aspects it is. But the NCAA needs to put regulations on it ASAP.

CEB

Helluva Engineer
I think NIL can be a good thing, and in some aspects it is. But the NCAA needs to put regulations on it ASAP.
The problem is that they basically lost all ability to regulate NIL... they have to regulate something else to temper NIL because NIL is an all or nothing proposition. As soon as players became entitled to compensation, the NCAA pretty much lost all control over the who, what, where, when and how aspect of that compensation.

Edit to expound...
The one thing they can sort of control is to say the schools can’t directly compensate a player for playing. There are plenty of ways around that, as we have seen. There probably are some things they can do with eligibility, but I think they will struggle with transfer limiting efforts because of what we have seen at programs with coaching changes (USC and Colorado). They don’t want to penalize the outgoing kids, of course, but the schools don’t want to lose the incoming opportunities for a year either... that said, I feel like that has to be part of the answer because the NCAA has to live in grades, academic progress and eligibility standards / restrictions

Last edited: