Midterm Week

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Not wanting to make an excuse but just curious. Since 2012 we are now 1-8 on the weekends around midterm week. Does it have that big of an effect on players?

steebu

Ramblin' Wreck
We are also 0-fer when we have to play on Thursday the week of midterms ... I don't remember what the "fer" was, but it's bad ...

I'm pretty sure North Carolina has imaginary midterms for their imaginary classes. Consider that FSU's entire team had their finals rescheduled when we played them for the ACC Championship both times. Now consider that we had professors who didn't want to move a lab that conflicted with classes and PJ and DRad had to go down to talk to them to try to work out an agreement. This is the reality of academics at GT. This is not the reality of academics at other plces.

augustabuzz

Helluva Engineer
Not wanting to make an excuse but just curious. Since 2012 we are now 1-8 on the weekends around midterm week. Does it have that big of an effect on players?
I think this is why the ACC gave our opponents such favorable schedules the week before our game. Greensboro is mad that after several years of requests for the bye week, we put Ga Southern in and that ruined their gifts to UNC and Duke.

gtg936g

Helluva Engineer
I don't see how it couldn't have a major impact. I didn't play football during my time at tech, but you are mentally drained by the weekend. You usually have several all nighters to get projects done/study. This is particularly true for underclass men. I am sure it has an impact.

babuka

Georgia Tech Fan
And in exhange for the rejection of our request to be off this week, the ACC gives every team extra days to prepare for us. The AD should step up to the plate and demand that equal # of bye weeks be part of the ACC schedulers constraints. It is okay if every 3 years or so you have to play 2 teams coming off bye weeks but I am pretty sure tech has played 10+ teams coming off bye weeks. In the NFL I believe the team coming off bye week is close to .600 in the games. In college it is likely the percentage is greater given that college players have less time to make up for extra prep time, especially in Techs case. Tech is due for 2 years of playing teams with no bye weeks. Once again this requires a strong commitment to football with a team of strong leaders not just Paul.