Michael Summers Has Left the Team

WrexRacer

Georgia Tech Fan
Well how many teams lose a two-deep's worth of players in one offseason. And that's before injury. But to answer your question just off the top of my head Florida went from 11-2 to 4-8 just a couple years ago. And that's a power program.

EDIT: Just remembered that UCF has gone from 9 wins last year to 0 so far this year as well.

I was thinking TCU a few years ago

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't know MICHAEL personally and maybe there are extenuating circumstances but I question his character some for quitting on the team mid season. Iirc he played the "he was burned out" on football card which led me to believe he had lost his passion for the game and wouldn't play again. Having played football and other sports in the past I would not take well to this if I was a former teammate of his. It's one thing to lose the love for the game and need to walk away to me it's something different to quit midsession and then suddenly turn up somewhere else.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
I don't know MICHAEL personally and maybe there are extenuating circumstances but I question his character some for quitting on the team mid season. Iirc he played the "he was burned out" on football card which led me to believe he had lost his passion for the game and wouldn't play again. Having played football and other sports in the past I would not take well to this if I was a former teammate of his. It's one thing to lose the love for the game and need to walk away to me it's something different to quit midsession and then suddenly turn up somewhere else.

See my post above. And judging by the support he got on his facebook post yesterday from former teammates, I think it's safe to say there are no hard feelings.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
It can be gussied up anyway one chooses but the fact is he quit on his team with three games to go in a losing season. I see where he says he might want to coach, and if so we can hope this is not the life lesson he teaches 17-year-olds: if you're not the go-to guy on a losing team, then quit. Most of us in later life would find that humiliating no matter where we wound up.

SidewalkJacket

Helluva Engineer
It can be gussied up anyway one chooses but the fact is he quit on his team with three games to go in a losing season. I see where he says he might want to coach, and if so we can hope this is not the life lesson he teaches 17-year-olds: if you're not the go-to guy on a losing team, then quit. Most of us in later life would find that humiliating no matter where we wound up.

Last I'll say on this: Try and remember your decision-making process at 19, 20, 21. I wish he had not left the team mid-season. He may wish that himself at some point, too. He may even wish it now, even if he doesn't say it. We all learn from decisions like this at that age. MS is a great kid, who is growing up into a great man. He represented himself extremely well as a GT student-athlete, and ultimately left GT football in a manner that we are all (including me, who has a personal connection) free to question. I wish him success at GSU and in life.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Last I'll say on this: Try and remember your decision-making process at 19, 20, 21. I wish he had not left the team mid-season. He may wish that himself at some point, too. He may even wish it now, even if he doesn't say it. We all learn from decisions like this at that age. MS is a great kid, who is growing up into a great man. He represented himself extremely well as a GT student-athlete, and ultimately left GT football in a manner that we are all (including me, who has a personal connection) free to question. I wish him success at GSU and in life.
Nonetheless, it was a bad choice. I would be pissed big time at my son if he did this. Maybe there are some hidden circumstances, but the only ones that would justify this is some kind of Sandusky type horror.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
I am sure he is a good kid who made a bad mistake. I want all our guys to do well after they leave. But that does not change his choice when faced -- probably -- with the second big decision of his life. The first was where to go to school. The second was to leave that school, his teammates, literally in the middle of a horrendous season, to take his ball and go home. It is not the model he had, I don't think, but it is the one he passes on. (I remember viewing that video of the GT chaplain exhorting the team, which I thought was a little over the top, but what he said was on the money: what a team has is each other. What Tech had was each other minus one.)

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
If MS , jabari had stayed as partime players, we might have beaten 1 more game. By the near the bitter end of season there was a clear set rotation and they were not in it. Jabari and kallon sat together on the bench near the huddle where the dl was being coached. It was obvious they would only see the field if there was an injury. Gotsis going down cost us maybe one more game. That brought kallon off the bench and gave him playing time. Damn I wish they were part of the team at uga game.

IMO end of year juniors and seniors who have not made a name for themselves should have such a close relationship with thier position coach that quitting during the season is unthinkable.

For this year we will be glad kallon got experience. The dl looks like they will finally be allowed to get penetration (rather than chuck, peek, penetrate). At wr we will have wide open competition amoung some very talented players. MS and gt are through the low period and now we are both on an upward tract.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
See my post above. And judging by the support he got on his facebook post yesterday from former teammates, I think it's safe to say there are no hard feelings.
I'm sure there are those who do support him. I work with young people for a living and the peer pressure not to call someone else out publicly is as
Strong today as ever. I would be willing to bet that even some of those who show support may have felt burned too. I for one wish nothing bad on Michael, but quitting as a leader mid season is not acceptable with the explanation that was given at the time.

IEEEWreck

Ramblin' Wreck
Could be. I do know this: he got out. That speaks to a level of character many can not claim.