Michael Carvell

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He's very clever here. There's some truth to the whole transfer discussion and how it's slanted in favor of the coaches.

However, his goal here isn't to champion the cause of the student athletes. His is an obvious veiled shot at GT.

I can't stand people like this. Be who you are. Don't try to pull the wool over people's eyes. If your job requires you to appear impartial, do it or change jobs. There are plenty of UGA-themed places he can work where he doesn't have to pander to other fan bases.

If he finds it so difficult to put away his UGA flags he needs to find work elsewhere.

The most sickening aspect of it is acting all oblivious when people call him on it.

I'm scared to click on the link for fear of giving him more "clicks" thereby validating his existence. I'm beyond done with that chump.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
I actually agree with Carvell in regards to transferring. I can understand if you don't want a kid to transfer inside the conference, but to dictate where a kid can and can't go is just silly. There are some NIGHTMARE stories out there about vindictive coaches blocking kids from going to any P5 program, or going to schools close to home, etc. Read about the walk-on QB at Texas Tech that transferred, but STILL had his transfer blocked by Kliff Kingsbury.

NCAA should have a rule like Soccer teams loaning players to other teams. They can go anywhere they want and even play immediately, but have to sit if they're facing their original team. I think that's fair.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
He's very clever here. There's some truth to the whole transfer discussion and how it's slanted in favor of the coaches.

However, his goal here isn't to champion the cause of the student athletes. His is an obvious veiled shot at GT.

I can't stand people like this. Be who you are. Don't try to pull the wool over people's eyes. If your job requires you to appear impartial, do it or change jobs. There are plenty of UGA-themed places he can work where he doesn't have to pander to other fan bases.

If he finds it so difficult to put away his UGA flags he needs to find work elsewhere.

The most sickening aspect of it is acting all oblivious when people call him on it.

I'm scared to click on the link for fear of giving him more "clicks" thereby validating his existence. I'm beyond done with that chump.

He actually praised CPJ for giving Myles Autry an unconditional release...even to UGA.

Sorry, but I'm siding with Carvell on this one. SAs should be able to transfer anywhere they want, even if it's to your biggest rivals as long as nothing untoward happened to force that transfer.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
He actually praised CPJ for giving Myles Autry an unconditional release...even to UGA.

Sorry, but I'm siding with Carvell on this one. SAs should be able to transfer anywhere they want, even if it's to your biggest rivals as long as nothing untoward happened to force that transfer.

But that's what I'm saying. You fell into his trap.

He has a point on this issue but I'm fairly certain his intent is to disparage GT. At the very least, the vim and vigor with which he's attacking the issue is heightened by the fact that it's GT on the "wrong" side of the discussion.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
If coaches can break a multi year contract and leave, a SA with only a one year contract should be allowed to get out of town.
Are coaches who leave for another school required to sit out a year? Florida just hired McElwain from Colo State, is he sitting out a year? NO!

Techster

Helluva Engineer
But that's what I'm saying. You fell into his trap.

He has a point on this issue but I'm fairly certain his intent is to disparage GT. At the very least, the vim and vigor with which he's attacking the issue is heightened by the fact that it's GT on the "wrong" side of the discussion.

You should read the entire tweet history on it. He's not taking sides, it just so happens that RC's transfer was a big deal and it occurred to a local school. Sorry, but I think GT fans are overly sensitive sometimes. Personally, I thought the RC situation looked bad on our part myself. He's not baiting or trying to make GT look bad...we made ourselves look bad.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Whether or not he's correct on the transfer issue, I agree with @kg01 that he used this as an opportunity to attack Georgia Tech, going as far to imply recruits should not come to Georgia Tech because of Gregory not letting RC transfer to uga. He makes it no secret, or is very bad at hiding his uga bias. Next time, he should at least coordinate with his fellow employees: http://markbradley.blog.ajc.com/2014/05/15/tech-wont-let-carter-go-to-uga-and-i-understand/

There are also 2 large differences I see between RC and JJ. First, basketball is a lot different because of the roster size. One player can make a much larger impact than on a football team. Secondly, RC was our star player. I'm not saying for sure they wouldn't, but can we guarantee uga would approve a transfer if Gurley or Chubb tried to transfer to Tech?

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
You should read the entire tweet history on it. He's not taking sides, it just so happens that RC's transfer was a big deal and it occurred to a local school. Sorry, but I think GT fans are overly sensitive sometimes. Personally, I thought the RC situation looked bad on our part myself. He's not baiting or trying to make GT look bad...we made ourselves look bad.

I hear you, I just disagree. There are far greater examples of coaches poor conduct on this issue for Carvell to point to. Carter's situation allegedly had other things in the works that made it unique to this particular issue. If that is ignored then yes it does make us look bad.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NCAA should have a rule like Soccer teams loaning players to other teams. They can go anywhere they want and even play immediately, but have to sit if they're facing their original team. I think that's fair.
This is a pretty good idea. Please tweet this at Carvell. I'd love to see his reaction. He'll just hem & haw about punishing the S/As

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
This may be the only issue I have ever seen that Carvell gets such a bee in his bonnet about and be so black and white (red and black?) about. His high horse moral grandstanding on it is very strange to me. As I recall he certainly doesn't take to counselling recruits parents over things like being exploited by a coach who oversigns or being forced into b.s. degree programs so they do not get an education and instead just study "football" all the time like at tOSU.

Does he think colleges have a moral obligation to accept anyone who happens to want to transfer in from another school? See my point? It is as if he cannot recognize that he is talking about student-athletes looking to transfer into other schools. Like Rod tried to point out, such situations involve more than just head coaches. Outside of Paterno they aren't campus dictators.

Last edited:

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Btw, I only just read this thread and so clicked on Rod's tweet. I actually could not find the thread of back and forth from Rod so do not know the full story of the exchange. If he had anything particularly interesting to say please share.

As an aside, I really like Rod. He does a great job imo of asking good questions of Tech coaches and making astute observations. He is always wearing a Pittsburgh Pirates hat so I asked him at a scrimmage once if Trey Klock is a Pirates fan. He actually didn't know but said he would have to ask him . . . so if he has ever posted what baseball team Klock roots for on Scout then you have me to thank. :)

Is that radio show he was often on with Leifheit (sp?) still made? I had forgotten about it until just now. Buzzline I think? I used to get it auto-downloading in Itunes as a podcast so will have to look for it again.

McCamish Maniacs

Helluva Engineer
Btw, I only just read this thread and so clicked on Rod's tweet. I actually could not find the thread of back and forth from Rod so do not know the full story of the exchange. If he had anything particularly interesting to say please share.

As an aside, I really like Rod. He does a great job imo of asking good questions of Tech coaches and making astute observations. He is always wearing a Pittsburgh Pirates hat so I asked him at a scrimmage once if Trey Klock is a Pirates fan. He actually didn't know but said he would have to ask him . . . so if he has ever posted what baseball team Klock roots for on Scout then you have me to thank. :)

Is that radio show he was often on with Leifheit (sp?) still made? I had forgotten about it until just now. Buzzline I think? I used to get it auto-downloading in Itunes as a podcast so will have to look for it again.

@Carvell_AJC: #UGA releases JJ Green to sign w/ GaTech despite fact GT wouldn't release Robert Carter to be recruited by #UGA: http://on-ajc.com/1D02C78

@gapanther: @Carvell_AJC Carter didn't want to go to Georgia plus he was always headed to an Under Armour school.

@Carvell_AJC: .@gapanther Robert Carter liked #UGA enough that he wanted to visit & it's ridiculous that GaTech blocked it

@gapanther: @Carvell_AJC Ridiculous? You need to dig deeper into the facts. Carter was not a normal transfer case.

@Carvell_AJC: @gapanther yes RIDICULOUS for any college coach to block any transfers. They already have to sit a year. Enough penalty. BS

@gapanther: @Carvell_AJC In your eyes the coaches are always at fault. Just open your eyes one time and explore all the facts.

@Carvell_AJC: @gapanther open my eyes "one time"? lol sorry can't take you serious. have a good day

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Thanks McC. Yeah Carvell is a fool. Well, at least I think based on this exchange that he is just being stupid; blinded by his sense of moral outrage on behalf of these poor D1 student-athletes who might ever have any restrictions placed on where they can transfer. There is still a chance he is motivated by a specific pro-UGA agenda for business motives and so it is convenient to take such a rigid stance here to serve that end.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member

Carvell was on fire overnight. There's more where the above came from. Nothing necessarily incorrect, just a random stream of consciousness.

TechnicalPossum

Ramblin' Wreck
Carvell is a tool. No more, no less. Reading the recruiting section on the AJC is just like watching the GT-UGA game on the SEC network. The media personalities couldn't be neutral even though they were paid to be. The unfortunate thing is that Carvell does have a bully pulpit.