Miami @ GT Game thread

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Guess I'm glad the connection on the plane sucked... just got to hotel and am disappointed to put it politely... didn't even shoot 30%... :(

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
We were playing fairly well the last few games, and then Wes showed up.

Lol, talk about blaming it on the rain huh cbf? Do i get points for the Milli Vanilli reference?

But yeah we did look near competent the last few games. What happened today?

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I don't think this game's performance is unexpected at all. This game is highly indicative of the state of Georgia Tech basketball. There is no light that going to suddenly come on. There is no secret formula that Brian Gregory is building toward and which will become apparent to us all in due time. This is what Georgia Tech basketball has become and will remain probably for some time, barring a change that I don't anticipate happening anytime soon.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Does no one realize we have 8 scholarship players available to play?!?! Does onyone think Hayward would see any action in acc play if we had players? Kam has played well but we have no boost from the bench. We are missing 4 players 3 of which would have contributed significant minutes. Why don't u guys blame Q, Golden, and Bolden for missing wide open looks from 3 or MGH for not playing with the fire he had last year? That's not coaching there, its tired players. We have no one after our starting lineup and those guys can't play all game. We need Morris to get better and solo to figure out life then we'll win a few.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Does no one realize we have 8 scholarship players available to play?!?! Does onyone think Hayward would see any action in acc play if we had players? Kam has played well but we have no boost from the bench. We are missing 4 players 3 of which would have contributed significant minutes. Why don't u guys blame Q, Golden, and Bolden for missing wide open looks from 3 or MGH for not playing with the fire he had last year? That's not coaching there, its tired players. We have no one after our starting lineup and those guys can't play all game. We need Morris to get better and solo to figure out life then we'll win a few.

Pretty much dead on...

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
not sure what some of you expect from a team without both pooles, without our pg, without our starting power forward, without our best shooting guard (MORRIS), with a back up guard that is a freshmen 'backup' pg coming back from two consecutive knee injuries, with a sophmore guard that allowed off court problems to affect his play on the court.

by my count that is 2+1+1+1+1+1= 7 players that were COUNTED ON as being part of our rotation that have major issues of some sort.

is is not the coach's fault wrt the injuries. it is not the coaches fault wrt the issues with the pooles. coming in to gt there was concern from the get go that the poole's family would get in the way of the 'team' concept due to issues with the nba. not saying that this is the case but..... all this poole drama sure seems strange to me.

as we known it doesnt take much dissent to damage the concept of team.

just my opinion and i could be wrong.

Atomic Jacket

Banned

First question I'd ask is this: Is the coach asking players to do things or putting them into a position that makes them more likely to get injured than other teams's players?

Second question is this: Is the coach recruiting and preparing the bench players to be able to compete in the ACC without much drop off in ability from the starters?

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
show me a team we have lost to that has more injuries than we do and ill consider your argument.

as far as coach putting players in position to get injured that is absurd to even consider. you are grasping at straws to back your side. did you not see carter get injured during the game? did you not see jorgenson injure his knee? how in the heck did our coach have anything to do with that?

what your seeing is what happens to a team that has to play players from the bottom half of its roster against acc starters.

First question I'd ask is this: Is the coach asking players to do things or putting them into a position that makes them more likely to get injured than other teams's players?

Second question is this: Is the coach recruiting and preparing the bench players to be able to compete in the ACC without much drop off in ability from the starters?

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
This squad just doesn't have enough depth with all the injuries. I realize its a part of the game, but CPH left the cupboard pretty dang bare for CBG. I still think we can be competitive with what we've got left, IF our guards can hit a few shots here and there. We miss almost every jump shot we take. We just need to get back to having at least 10 players to put on the court. We will have to rebound as a team and play stout defensively. I feel like this year was a good year to make a run, but its nearly impossible when we only have 2 big men and no shooters. MGH has been a huge disappointment so far this year. He needs to get his butt in gear and start playing ball. He shrinks against good competition and that has got to stop

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I hear you GTJason, but no way should we be getting blown out at home by that UM squad.
I agree KG, the guys we had mailed it in. I think they expected a win and Miami had a little revenge on their minds. We played horribly. The problem is when we have no depth we have no one to turn to when there is a shooting slump.

We basically have no backup PG, we have a stand in when Golden is tired. We have no SG. Our 3 man is MGH and he is in a little slump, I'm not worried about him because when it clicks for him he'll be awesome. At the 4 we have 2 backups and 5 we have no one over 6'8" when Miller isn't in. If all was healthy I believe this would the order of who would play (slashes indicate interchangable players):

PG: Golden, Jorg/Solo
SG: Morris/Bolden, Solo
Wing/SF: MGH, Morris, to a lesser extent Q
PF: Carter, Holsey, Q
C: Miller, Holsey, Carter

Looks like we have 1 guy at each position along with the 3rd man wing/PF playing. So if one guy isn't on we can take it, if it's more than one we have trouble

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
I agree KG, the guys we had mailed it in. I think they expected a win and Miami had a little revenge on their minds. We played horribly. The problem is when we have no depth we have no one to turn to when there is a shooting slump.

We basically have no backup PG, we have a stand in when Golden is tired. We have no SG. Our 3 man is MGH and he is in a little slump, I'm not worried about him because when it clicks for him he'll be awesome. At the 4 we have 2 backups and 5 we have no one over 6'8" when Miller isn't in. If all was healthy I believe this would the order of who would play (slashes indicate interchangable players):

PG: Golden, Jorg/Solo
SG: Morris/Bolden, Solo
Wing/SF: MGH, Morris, to a lesser extent Q
PF: Carter, Holsey, Q
C: Miller, Holsey, Carter

Looks like we have 1 guy at each position along with the 3rd man wing/PF playing. So if one guy isn't on we can take it, if it's more than one we have trouble
Well written... But... When is it gonna "click" for MGH? I feel he played better last year than he is so far. He needs to grow a pair and take it in the post against these smaller defenders. His best asset is his girth and ability to finish at the rim with.body contact. Yet he doesn't do either of them often enough. He has a decent shot but not good enough to hang around the 3pt line. Also what tends to be forgotten is we only have 2 legit big men, and one is more of a stretch 4. Stephens is gonna be a good ball player for GT. I just wish he wasn't put into a bad spot having to play the 4 against grown men. I see him more as a 3 than a 4. MGH needs to move to the 2 for the rest of the season.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
This squad just doesn't have enough depth with all the injuries. I realize its a part of the game, but CPH left the cupboard pretty dang bare for CBG.

I call BS on this;
Hosley
Shumpert
Oliver
Udofia
Rice Jr.
Morris
Miller
& and incoming Royal.
were all on the team when CBG arrived. Him not convincing Shump & Oliver to stay is on him. He kicked Rice off the team. That's 2 NBA players and one that may make the league that were left for CBG, what happened from there is on him.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
I call BS on this;
Hosley
Shumpert
Oliver
Udofia
Rice Jr.
Morris
Miller
& and incoming Royal.
were all on the team when CBG arrived. Him not convincing Shump & Oliver to stay is on him. He kicked Rice off the team. That's 2 NBA players and one that may make the league that were left for CBG, what happened from there is on him.

I'll give you Royal, not sure what the deal was with him, he just didn't fit in but man could we use him now.

He's used Morris as well as he could be used and Oliver was a loss no doubt but that happens with coaching changes and something tells me Oliver was homesick. GT fans made that point in GT basketball history so no one wanted to stay and that blame goes on Hewitt. We can toss the blame everywhere

Rice kicked himself off the team, should we have put up with his crap? Bolden (under 21) got a DUI and is still playing so how bad did Rice F up?

Shumpert wasn't staying for anything. He was going after guaranteed money. Had he stayed he would have been undrafted the next year with all of the Guards coming out of school. That wasn't in CBG's hands, and it has worked out for the best for Shump which is the most important thing.

I don't want to sit here and defend CBG, he gets his share of the blame too. His guys aren't making wide open looks. The passing is great and the looks are great, but we miss shots and freethrows. Are we practicing scheme in practice more than shooting? Some of the accuracy issues can be blamed on being tired, but missing shots to start the game is on CBG. I'm not happy with losing and our team has some issues that can be blamed on the coach, but let's not crucify the guy yet.

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
One thing Paul could do is recruit, so I just called BS on the cupboard being bare comment.

As far as CBG, I never liked the hire, people at Dayton handclapped at his leaving and basically called it, his offense sucks. I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but he is proving them more right than wrong. I haven't been a major fan of his recruiting either. He seems like a great guy and that goes along way as far as perception but the results are the results and so far not to good.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
He seems like a great guy and that goes along way as far as perception but the results are the results and so far not to good.[/quote]

Unfortunately, this is truth.

Eric

Retired Co-Founder
One thing Paul could do is recruit, so I just called BS on the cupboard being bare comment.

As far as CBG, I never liked the hire, people at Dayton handclapped at his leaving and basically called it, his offense sucks. I'm trying to give him the benefit of the doubt but he is proving them more right than wrong. I haven't been a major fan of his recruiting either. He seems like a great guy and that goes along way as far as perception but the results are the results and so far not to good.

Paul recruited very well early on but that fell off toward the end...Look at the roster CBG started with.

Derek CraigSRG6-41.4 Pts, 0.5 Reb, 0.4 Ast
Nick ForemanSRG6-31.5 Pts, 1.2 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Nate HicksSOC6-101.1 Pts, 2.1 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Kammeon HolseySOF6-89.4 Pts, 4.9 Reb, 0.9 Ast
Pierre JordanSRG6-01.5 Pts, 0.9 Reb, 0.9 Ast
Daniel MillerSOC6-118.1 Pts, 6.5 Reb, 1.5 Ast
McPherson MooreSOG6-31.2 Pts, 0.0 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Jason MorrisSOG6-57.8 Pts, 3.3 Reb, 1.1 Ast
Aaron PeekFRG6-40.0 Pts, 0.3 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Brandon ReedSOG6-47.5 Pts, 3.2 Reb, 1.2 Ast
Glen Rice Jr.JRG6-513.0 Pts, 6.7 Reb, 2.3 Ast
Julian RoyalFRF6-84.4 Pts, 2.4 Reb, 0.6 Ast
D.J. SpainSOF6-61.0 Pts, 0.5 Reb, 0.5 Ast
Mfon UdofiaJRG6-29.9 Pts, 3.4 Reb, 2.8 Ast

ATL1

Helluva Engineer
Paul reccruited very well early on but that fell off toward the end...Look at the roster CBG started with.

Derek CraigSRG6-41.4 Pts, 0.5 Reb, 0.4 Ast
Nick ForemanSRG6-31.5 Pts, 1.2 Reb, 0.3 Ast
Nate HicksSOC6-101.1 Pts, 2.1 Reb, 0.1 Ast
Kammeon HolseySOF6-89.4 Pts, 4.9 Reb, 0.9 Ast
Pierre JordanSRG6-01.5 Pts, 0.9 Reb, 0.9 Ast
Daniel MillerSOC6-118.1 Pts, 6.5 Reb, 1.5 Ast
McPherson MooreSOG6-31.2 Pts, 0.0 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Jason MorrisSOG6-57.8 Pts, 3.3 Reb, 1.1 Ast
Aaron PeekFRG6-40.0 Pts, 0.3 Reb, 0.0 Ast
Brandon ReedSOG6-47.5 Pts, 3.2 Reb, 1.2 Ast
Glen Rice Jr.JRG6-513.0 Pts, 6.7 Reb, 2.3 Ast
Julian RoyalFRF6-84.4 Pts, 2.4 Reb, 0.6 Ast
D.J. SpainSOF6-61.0 Pts, 0.5 Reb, 0.5 Ast
Mfon UdofiaJRG6-29.9 Pts, 3.4 Reb, 2.8 Ast
What CBG started with and what Paul left are 2 different things. Shumpert and Oliver were on the team as well. One year off of recruiting Favors. Its up to CBG to convince Shump and Oliver to stay. Its CBG'S coaching assistant that had Glenn Jr in his car with a loaded gun on the streets of Atlanta. It's CBG who couldn't coach up a talented Royal. It's CBG who hasn't successfully recruited a highschool All American to Tech. Again seems like a nice enough guy but the results are the results.