Miami game cancelled

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I was proud of us for playing Pitt despite all of the things that we had working against us. Kind of that, “anytime, anywhere, next man up, put the ball down, roll up your sleeves, I’m not scared” mentality. With that said, I’m conflicted on how I feel about cancelling 8 days prior to the game. I’m not saying that I know everything going on but I don’t feel good about the reason being that we want these guys to get home for Christmas break. There’s plenty of time to spend with family even if we play next week’s game. I really don’t like the idea of it being that we only have 1 quarterback... that’s football. Maryland battled us 1 year with a linebacker at qb. Getting Yates reps would be a good thing. Have Tobias as backup. If it’s COVID, I’m confused, because we’d have everybody back that was out for NC State and anybody that tested positive prior to that. I don’t see those COVID numbers being as bad as they were for NC ST and Pitt especially making this announcement the day after Pitt. I believe it was stated that injuries might be the reason. That’s football. Play Miguez or knight, play Yates, play Derrick Allen if Juanyeh is beat-up. The D-line and receivers have been battling injuries all-year, next man up.

if I’m a betting man, this is what I believe, our coaches want to be out recruiting this week before early signing period. All other reasons are just window dressing.

If that’s the case, I’m a little disappointed, but I guess I have no shame, because I won’t be too upset if we land a couple big ones.
I don’t think recruiting is the reason we aren’t playing next week. Most of our class is wrapped up. I’m guessing 17 (if we get a DT 18) to be signing early. We have filled 4 other positions with transfers so my guess is there are only 1 or 2 spots the coaches may be looking for and some could be filled through transfers.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
How the hell do you think you have any idea of injuries or COVID positives or tracing or the timing on either? Our class for next week is essentially set except for 1 or 2 so recruiting should be more of a focus that it always is.
I think we’ll sign more than 1 or 2 more whether it’s this week or before February and there’s one position of need that’s very important and this week could be important in locking that up. Probably doesn’t hurt to give our current commits some attention this week either. Early signing day falling on a game week has been discussed as a logistical challenge. Especially for us, going on a long road trip.

I’m a skeptic, I’m a little disappointed at the decision because I admired our decision to play despite the odds against Pitt. Is that not a respectable opinion? We had enough guys who weren’t injured at the end of Pitt game to be competitive and with guys coming off COVID protocol we would gain some guys back and probably lose a few more next week. Likely a wash. I just don’t buy the reasons being discussed. What changed this week? Our backs have been against the wall the last 2 weeks? I respected us playing the games.

I spoke to someone this morning who was happy the season was over on Friday because they didn’t want to be embarrassed again. But then reconsidered after Miami was routed yesterday. That’s not how I approach competitive athletics. Typically you don’t get to pick and choose. I really hope the coaches didn’t make the decision because they didn’t want to be embarrassed again. Most have criticized FSU for backing out of the Clemson game or Vandy backing out of the UGA game. I personally don’t think that our coaches made the decision based on that. I think they understand the importance of recruiting right now given the current state of our program. I very well could be wrong. There are other posts on here that could be wrong too, we’re all speculating and it’s all-good to disagree.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
I know...First, he said my hand shake was that way because the team had to go cheer the band... And now cancel a game 8 days out. Very up standing guy. I didn't make this up so please don't come to me saying some BS....It's all on film..
Are you suggesting someone at GT is not being truthful?

ncjacket79

Helluva Engineer
I think we’ll sign more than 1 or 2 more whether it’s this week or before February and there’s one position of need that’s very important and this week could be important in locking that up. Probably doesn’t hurt to give our current commits some attention this week either. Early signing day falling on a game week has been discussed as a logistical challenge. Especially for us, going on a long road trip.

I’m a skeptic, I’m a little disappointed at the decision because I admired our decision to play despite the odds against Pitt. Is that not a respectable opinion? We had enough guys who weren’t injured at the end of Pitt game to be competitive and with guys coming off COVID protocol we would gain some guys back and probably lose a few more next week. Likely a wash. I just don’t buy the reasons being discussed. What changed this week? Our backs have been against the wall the last 2 weeks? I respected us playing the games.

I spoke to someone this morning who was happy the season was over on Friday because they didn’t want to be embarrassed again. But then reconsidered after Miami was routed yesterday. That’s not how I approach competitive athletics. Typically you don’t get to pick and choose. I really hope the coaches didn’t make the decision because they didn’t want to be embarrassed again. Most have criticized FSU for backing out of the Clemson game or Vandy backing out of the UGA game. I personally don’t think that our coaches made the decision based on that. I think they understand the importance of recruiting right now given the current state of our program. I very well could be wrong. There are other posts on here that could be wrong too, we’re all speculating and it’s all-good to disagree.
What I’m saying is neither of us knows what’s going on inside the program in regards to testing, positives or tracing much less injuries. There is no reason to think we would dodge Miami of all teams after playing Clemson, ND etc. Some of the speculation is approaching conspiracy theory level on here. Plus unless you simply think everyone is lying to you the medical team was involved in this decision as well so I don’t believe Collins simply decided he didn’t want to play.

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
What I’m saying is neither of us knows what’s going on inside the program in regards to testing, positives or tracing much less injuries. There is no reason to think we would dodge Miami of all teams after playing Clemson, ND etc. Some of the speculation is approaching conspiracy theory level on here. Plus unless you simply think everyone is lying to you the medical team was involved in this decision as well so I don’t believe Collins simply decided he didn’t want to play.
Fair point. And I do respect it though I don’t necessarily buy it. I don’t take public statements as the whole truth.

first&ten

Ramblin' Wreck
Don't know who made the decision to not play, but someone said we just don't have the number of players or horses to compete with Miami,lets just pack it in for the season. Nothing more, nothing less.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The same people who are complaining about Collins canceling the game would complain if we lost and played bad because we were missing so many players. And of course they wouldn't want to hear about that because it would just be making excuses.

Miami delayed the game because they would be short handed. So what logical reason is there us to indulge them and play the game when we are in the exact same situation?

UpperNorth

Jolly Good Fellow
The same people who are complaining about Collins canceling the game would complain if we lost and played bad because we were missing so many players. And of course they wouldn't want to hear about that because it would just be making excuses.

Miami delayed the game because they would be short handed. So what logical reason is there us to indulge them and play the game when we are in the exact same situation?
This is not true. I’m complaining because I admired us playing against the odds against Nc St and Pitt. Games that we lost, but was proud of the effort and viewed those games as valuable opportunities for underclassmen. Miami was another opportunity to do that. I also applaud MS State for playing against UGA under similar roster challenges. Respect. I cannot speak for others in this thread.

tomknight

Ramblin' Wreck

they would Saban could've won with the staff available, and we should hire Bohannon immediately. because, that's what they do.

LongforDodd

LatinxBreakfastTacos
I know...First, he said my hand shake was that way because the team had to go cheer the band... And now cancel a game 8 days out. Very up standing guy. I didn't make this up so please don't come to me saying some BS....It's all on film..
Are you being accused of making something up? If so, what is it?

And...what's "all on film"?

Pointer

Helluva Engineer

Not to mention the virus has been spreading more lately. This allows everyone in the program to be out of harms way till next season. Unless we go to a bowl.

smokey_wasp

Helluva Engineer
Hey, we aren't the only ones with issues. Washington just opted out of the Pac12 title game due to lack of available players.