Miami fans are bad

DNice

Georgia Tech Fan
Funny. He had top ten recruiting classes most of if not the whole time he was at Georgia. He was already on a gold mine, wasnt able to do much with it.

This is a different animal. South Florida is a different animal. He's got total control. He's an alumnus.

deeeznutz

Helluva Engineer
Wasn't saying you don't know what a metropolitan city with pro sports feels like. But the demographic of Miami is different from Atlanta. Miami has a northeast feel for sure. Fans are fickle. You also don't have the amount of outdoor water activity that Miami has year round. It's just different. Didn't say you can't relate at all.
Atlanta (unlike Miami) is infested with SEC fans from every corner of the southeast who not only support their own teams but also actively crap on the ACC every chance they get. Trust that you're lucky to not have that set of terrible fans to deal with.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
I'm not a hater, IMO, Miami getting good is good for the ACC and I don't think Mark Richt is a "bad guy" ...
Based on what I've seen this year (not historically) and forgetting about recruiting rankings, GT can win this game.
Our defense will need to show-up and we can't turn the ball over multiple times, but I don't think it's a stretch for us to win.

Deleted member 2897

Funny. He had top ten recruiting classes most of if not the whole time he was at Georgia. He was already on a gold mine, wasnt able to do much with it.

Exactly, that was a false illustration. You are limited to 85 scholarships. So if the state of Georgia has 30 blue chip players each year and Florida has 40 blue chip players, it doesn't matter. Richt had more than enough to stack his roster full and they've had a decade+ of top 5-7 recruiting classes.
https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...rankings-state-stars-florida-texas-california

If he gets top 5 classes at Miami, it will be nothing new for him.

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan
Atlanta (unlike Miami) is infested with SEC fans from every corner of the southeast who not only support their own teams but also actively crap on the ACC every chance they get. Trust that you're lucky to not have that set of terrible fans to deal with.
My point is, northeast fans are not college fans first, they are pro sport fans. At least the SEC influence in Atlanta still feeds college football.

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan
I'm not a hater, IMO, Miami getting good is good for the ACC and I don't think Mark Richt is a "bad guy" ...
Based on what I've seen this year (not historically) and forgetting about recruiting rankings, GT can win this game.
Our defense will need to show-up and we can't turn the ball over multiple times, but I don't think it's a stretch for us to win.
Of course you can win this game. Especially with all the factors working against Miami at this time.

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
Please tell me your not comparing the recruiting bed of S Florida to Georgia.
They are pretty comparable actually. Georgia had tons of talent. UGA unfortunately is the state school for most 4 and 5 star recruits want. Miami competes with 2 other major instate school with similar recruiting prowess, so yes they are pretty comparable. Think some of you Miami fans may be going a bit heavy on that Koolaid over there.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Of course you can win this game. Especially with all the factors working against Miami at this time.
Asked another Miami fan and didn't really get an answer. If GT ends up with more points tomorrow, what is your criteria for saying whether GT won the game vs. Miami lost it? It seems like the narrative is already set so I'm trying to get someone, anyone, on record.

Milwaukee

Banned
They are pretty comparable actually. Georgia had tons of talent. UGA unfortunately is the state school for most 4 and 5 star recruits want. Miami competes with 2 other major instate school with similar recruiting prowess, so yes they are pretty comparable. Think some of you Miami fans may be going a bit heavy on that Koolaid over there.

Richt is 13-2 against us, correct? You can call him out all you want for not winning a natty but to say he "didn't do much" would be ignoring the fact that he paddled our *** for a good decade while at UGA. I was glad to see him leave, then he landed at Miami. Damnit.

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan
If anybody is drinking koolaide it’s you. No one, and I mean no one ranks Georgia ahead of Florida in recruiting. Georgia is like 4th in the rankings behind Texas, California and Florida.

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan
Asked another Miami fan and didn't really get an answer. If GT ends up with more points tomorrow, what is your criteria for saying whether GT won the game vs. Miami lost it? It seems like the narrative is already set so I'm trying to get someone, anyone, on record.
If you have more points then you beat Miami. Period. But that doesn’t mean your the better team. When you look at the factors entering this game it leans heavy toward a GT win even though Miami’s like 6-1 against Georgia since 2010. But if you win the game, you obviously beat us on that given day.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
If you have more points then you beat Miami. Period. But that doesn’t mean your the better team. When you look at the factors entering this game it leans heavy toward a GT win even though Miami’s like 6-1 against Georgia since 2010. But if you win the game, you obviously beat us on that given day.
Hey, I appreciate the reply but you missed my question or I didn't explain it well. I agree the best team doesn't always win, which is my opinion of a couple games in the 6-1 record that you cite (e.g., GT taking a knee/safety on a freakin' kickoff in a Miami OT win :banghead:).

To try and clarify, if GT wins tomorrow, how will you decide if 1) GT just flat beat Miami or 2) those "factors" are the reason Miami lost?

Is there a way to differentiate in your mind? Or are you convinced those "factors" are the only reason Miami might lose? Full disclosure: I have no bones to pick with Canes fans, but I'm asking because it seems like a preemptive excuse.

Along the same lines, since you brought up Miami's 6-1 record vs. GT as a reason to believe Miami should continue to have success against GT.:
  1. 2015 - GT had about 10 players out, conservatively, and lost their starting QB in the 1st quarter
  2. 2016 - Miami had a bye before playing GT, while GT played Clemson the week prior
Is it fair for one to conclude GT had the better team those years, but the "factors" worked in Miami's favor? How do you decide?

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan
Hey, I appreciate the reply but you missed my question or I didn't explain it well. I agree the best team doesn't always win, which is my opinion of a couple games in the 6-1 record that you cite (e.g., GT taking a knee/safety on a freakin' kickoff in a Miami OT win :banghead:).

To try and clarify, if GT wins tomorrow, how will you decide if 1) GT just flat beat Miami or 2) those "factors" are the reason Miami lost?

Is there a way to differentiate in your mind? Or are you convinced those "factors" are the only reason Miami might lose? Full disclosure: I have no bones to pick with Canes fans, but I'm asking because it seems like a preemptive excuse.

Along the same lines, since you brought up Miami's 6-1 record vs. GT as a reason to believe Miami should continue to have success against GT.:
  1. 2015 - GT had about 10 players out, conservatively, and lost their starting QB in the 1st quarter
  2. 2016 - Miami had a bye before playing GT
Is it fair for one to conclude GT had the better team those years, but the "factors" worked in Miami's favor? How do you decide?

gregsempsrott

Georgia Tech Fan

2. 2016 - Miami had a bye before playing GT, while GT played Clemson the week prior
LOL, in the last 12 years while Miami had some athletes they never played as a complete team and they lacked the mental toughness to fight through adversity and win close games. Not to mention the lack of game day coaching intelligence to adjust and win. So it amazes me that we have a 6-1 record vs GT.

Look, if you want me to say that the team that has the best statistics after the game is always the better team, that’s crazy. If a defense gives a running offense big yards between the 20’s all game long but then shuts down that offense in the red zone, the numbers won’t necessarily reveal who was the better team.

So let me try to answer this way. Can GT match Miami’s talent and athleticism in the skilled positions? No.

But that doesn’t mean that Miami always is better than GT. Too many other factors to consider.

Milwaukee

Banned
LOL, in the last 12 years while Miami had some athletes they never played as a complete team and they lacked the mental toughness to fight through adversity and win close games. Not to mention the lack of game day coaching intelligence to adjust and win. So it amazes me that we have a 6-1 record vs GT.

Look, if you want me to say that the team that has the best statistics after the game is always the better team, that’s crazy. If a defense gives a running offense big yards between the 20’s all game long but then shuts down that offense in the red zone, the numbers won’t necessarily reveal who was the better team.

So let me try to answer this way. Can GT match Miami’s talent and athleticism in the skilled positions? No.

But that doesn’t mean that Miami always is better than GT. Too many other factors to consider.

Question: what exactly are you doing here on GTSwarm?

GTRanj

Jolly Good Fellow
If anybody is drinking koolaide it’s you. No one, and I mean no one ranks Georgia ahead of Florida in recruiting. Georgia is like 4th in the rankings behind Texas, California and Florida.
Not ranking it ahead of Florida, just saying UGA has the ability to get the same quantity and quality or recruits as UM due to less is state competition. If you can't see that, I don't know what to tell you. My Koolaid ref is to people thinking UM is "back". They may end up being really good under Richt. I hope they are and I hope they are great against everyone but GT. It's good for GT and the ACC, I actually don't mind Richt either. I am just saying that some people are counting their chicken before the eggs are hatching. Especially since Richt has not achieved the success matching the level of recruiting he had at UGA (which I argue is the same if not better than UM).Also does Miami not have their own message boards or something, seems to be a lot of posters from UM on here.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
Alright, I'll give it one more shot.
What is amazing about beating GT when we are down 10+ players (2015)? Or when Miami catches GT after GT plays Clemson + a Miami bye (2016)?

I don't want you to say that. I want you to say what you think. Specifically, whether you will use excuses tomorrow no matter what, or if something can happen on the field where you'll say "s***, GT is just a better team". If it's stats, great. If it's something else, that's what I'm trying to understand.

How will you know who the better team is tomorrow?

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Hey i agree we u.
You are right on about the top talent in tbose states but there is plenty of gt do able talent in ga.
In the off season we can work on the pie being"" larger than our current area verse we have to be strong near our school"" Coach has staff that have roots in ga and near by but we have moved into new Orleans area as well as Tennesse .

But some like Andy mc also have roots in texas (While Andy was at Baylor he was named top recruiter in nation) .

As a side note The area of n w la and n e Texas has more players in NFL than any comparable AREA. Note they have 0 p 5 schools. Our problem is the schools are of rural ga scholastically. Look around dallas and houston suburbs and u find the parker brauns who go AWAY to a good school while playing football. With a good base of players we are getting we only need one or 2 elite ones .

We just need to win some more big games - go to Ireland, play in Mercedes Benz stadium, get rid of Russell, get buzz at ends, and kids will come.