MGH

Midlands Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I am hoping he becomes BJ Elder part two. I see a lot of similarities between their talents. A interesting thought, if BJ doesn't get hurt during the final four run, Tech may very well win the national title. Would P Blewit still be here? Discuss amongst yourselves.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
Actually statistics say Elder wasn't any better even in his best season 03-04. He was .415 and MGH currently is .416... throw some error bars in there and it looks like the OP is pretty close. Elder had the slight edge from 3, but you can't compare the 2 guys without comparing the teams they play on.

Either way we can all agree MGH is probably the best pure one on one guy we have and there is a lot of potential there. At 6'5"/6'6" he's a match up problem from everywhere he can play and he can play 1-4. Let's hope we feel he reached that potential 2 years from now

SoCal_GT_Fan

Jolly Good Fellow
I doubt BJ would have made a difference. I think if bosh and Nelson stayed for the 2003-2004 year, we would have had a better chance. Uconn had too many athletic bigs that day. Okafor, Boone, and Villanueva (sp?) for whom we had no answers for. Mind you they also had Ben Gordon too. That was a loaded Uconn team.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Elder was a better athlete than MGH too. I always felt he was too passive. I'm not sure if he would've made a difference in that game though, as SoCal said, UConn was loaded.

GaTech4ever

Helluva Engineer
I hope he stays for his senior season and doesn't bolt if he has a great junior year. He already has the NBA body.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Hewitt would still be gone despite the difference in one game (all be it the NC). Hewitt couldn't coach or get assistant coaches to develop talent and play together. In bounds passes, passing in general, free throws and set plays were uniformly awful. The Hewitt teams the last 6 years had no depth or resolve. Wish we had won the NC though ......

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I hope he stays for his senior season and doesn't bolt if he has a great junior year. He already has the NBA body.

He wouldn't be drafted if he left this year and I think it'd be a stretch for him to get drafted next year. He's the size of an NBA 2-guard and does not have the size, athleticism, shooting ability, nor ball handling ability to translate to an NBA 2.

By means of comparison, I'd say CJ Fair (Syracuse) is a bigger/better/all-ACC version of MGH's game. Depending on the source CJ is a projected 2nd-round pick or undrafted free agent. I would love for MGH's game to look like CJ next year (including growing another couple inches) but I think that's expecting too much in one year. As a result I don't think there's a chance MGH bolts unless he wants to play in Europe.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
Hewitt would still be gone despite the difference in one game (all be it the NC). Hewitt couldn't coach or get assistant coaches to develop talent and play together. In bounds passes, passing in general, free throws and set plays were uniformly awful. The Hewitt teams the last 6 years had no depth or resolve. Wish we had won the NC though ......

Have to agree - as usual - with Nuke. Hewitt just couldn't get the team to act like a team his last few years at GT.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
He is right on track to be an All-conf type player- looking for 17 ppg with 6 REbs by SR yr, nice if had more assts

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
UConn's best player was struggling with back issues and we were fully healthy when we beat them that year. By the time we got to the NC game, BJ was banged up and we were a little worse for wear in general.

Agree with Nuke. Hewitt was a recruiting machine, but after Keener & Warren left, the bench staff was never very weak and Hewitt wasn't capable of orchestrating.

I think MGH is still on a good trajectory with lots of room for improvement. I like the comparison to CJ Fair. Would love to see him get to that level.

Maybe he gets to the NBA some day, maybe he doesn't, but he'll likely earn a nice living playing ball somewhere and have a GT degree when he's done.

Ggee87

Helluva Engineer
That's a very cool website.
I agree but he doesnt remind me of any of the players on that list. Joe Harris being the 1 that stands out from recently. Joe is NBA ready, MGH is not there yet. He needs to play in the post, back his smaller men down.and score and pass from that position. He would also be in better position to help out on the boards. IMO. His size is his greatest asset, and its very underutilized

franklinjacket

Jolly Good Fellow
UConn's best player was struggling with back issues and we were fully healthy when we beat them that year. By the time we got to the NC game, BJ was banged up and we were a little worse for wear in general.
BJ was banged up and if I remember correctly, the tourney was when Ish started having problems with his quad and lost a lot of his explosiveness. A healthy Ish might have slowed Ben Gordon down enough to make it closer.