Merriweather update

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
Kinda reminds me of Attaochu physically. Looks solid.
Completely different type of games though. Watch the film, Tyler is a run stopping, play down the line type of player. He's not very explosive at all. Attauchu is a disruptive gap penetrating player. I honestly think the staff should bulk Tyler up and stick him at the three technique.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Completely different type of games though. Watch the film, Tyler is a run stopping, play down the line type of player. He's not very explosive at all. Attauchu is a disruptive gap penetrating player. I honestly think the staff should bulk Tyler up and stick him at the three technique.

My reaction was SDE more than WDE. My experience has been that many techniques can be successful at DE. That is a position where you can give a player a few simple rules and let his natural instincts be his guide. Many sizes and many techniques CAN work at DE. 50lbs is a lot to gain to get to 3 technique, but I agree that his playing style fits 3 tec..

JazzyD95

Ramblin' Wreck
My reaction was SDE more than WDE. My experience has been that many techniques can be successful at DE. That is a position where you can give a player a few simple rules and let his natural instincts be his guide. Many sizes and many techniques CAN work at DE. 50lbs is a lot to gain to get to 3 technique, but I agree that his playing style fits 3 tec..
Hes already 245 as an 18 year old whose probably still growing(isnt he?), and thats without the college strength and conditioning. Slap a redshirt on him and let the kid eat. He could probably get up to 290. At the same time, i could see him as a SDE. Hed have to come out on 3rd down and passing downs. I dont see him being an effective pass rusher at this level.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
Looking at his film, he reminds me a lot of Jason Peters high school film. He's not terribly fast, but when he gets his mitts on you, you're going down. I could see him growing into a 3-Technique.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned

Have to say I don't see an obvious lack of quickness or explosiveness. Film shows him shooting through the gap nicely several times. On at least one he met the RB and QB just after the handoff....any quicker and he'd have been the one taking the handoff and goin the other way. To me he looked good in the film shooting the gap and also looked good holding the point of attack and getting off blocks to make the play. Looks like a very good pickup. Don't know what the level of competition was but he might be able to compete for some PT this year with our lack of depth and experience at DE. He shed one block in the hudl video from a kid that looked like TJ Barnes in a UNC uni.

alaguy

Helluva Engineer
Demopolis is a little S Ala school.The competition is erratic just as seen in the tape.One play he lining up vs a 280lb slug and the next a 175 lb twig.He has some quicks but it will take a while to get to college level play..

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
Demopolis is a little S Ala school.The competition is erratic just as seen in the tape.One play he lining up vs a 280lb slug and the next a 175 lb twig.He has some quicks but it will take a while to get to college level play..

Demopolis is no joke when it comes to football. That's my home town. They're 5A which is the second largest division in high school athletics in Alabama, the competition is pretty solid every year and demopolis is continually in the playoffs with 2 championships over the last decade.

Also a 3.96 is pretty good at demopolis high. I had a 3.8 when I left and I like to think I'm a pretty smart guy. They're a blue ribbon school and that's pretty impressive for the area (south west alabama)

daBuzz

Ramblin' Wreck
Am I alone in this thought?

No. I think you're right. He's a completely different type of player than Attouchu.

Attouchu was a quick, explosive guy who could bend and get around players primarily with a speed rush, although he could use his hands and a spin move to get inside as well.

I think Merriweather could well be a very good player but he already shows the build of someone destined to be an interior player, IMO. Big, strong, decent burst, and smart is not usually a bad combination. Now if he also has mean to add into that mixture, he could have the makings of a really good one.

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
No. I think you're right. He's a completely different type of player than Attouchu.

Attouchu was a quick, explosive guy who could bend and get around players primarily with a speed rush, although he could use his hands and a spin move to get inside as well.

I think Merriweather could well be a very good player but he already shows the build of someone destined to be an interior player, IMO. Big, strong, decent burst, and smart is not usually a bad combination. Now if he also has mean to add into that mixture, he could have the makings of a really good one.

Agree, looks like SDE skills and may grow to DT which is good since we will have Whitehead (So), Freeman(F), and Simmons(RsF) at WDE.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
It's hard to predict where an 18 year old will end up. When my father was 18 – true story – he went off to Perkinston Junior College at 5'11" and 180lbs. A year later he was playing DT at Mississippi State (the Good Dawgs) at 6'2" and 230lbs. My grandma was having to send him a whole new wardrobe every 6 months.

I didn't see anything in the film to make me think Tyler is another Marco Coleman, but we'll just have to see what happens over the next year or so. At 20 he could be an entirely different human being.

bat_082994

Ramblin' Wreck
It's hard to predict where an 18 year old will end up. When my father was 18 – true story – he went off to Perkinston Junior College at 5'11" and 180lbs. A year later he was playing DT at Mississippi State (the Good Dawgs) at 6'2" and 230lbs. My grandma was having to send him a whole new wardrobe every 6 months.

I didn't see anything in the film to make me think Tyler is another Marco Coleman, but we'll just have to see what happens over the next year or so. At 20 he could be an entirely different human being.
The "good" dwags? There is no such thing