Merits of G-League vs. College Basketball

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member

I think he's right that cbb will be "fine". But it's likely to also be smaller, dollars-wise, over time.

I said years ago that, if the NBA used the GLeague like a true minor league system, it'd become similar to the club model for soccer/basketball overseas. Seems we're coming to that point sooner than I expected.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
https://hoopseen.com/news/special/202004/jys-meat-three-how-g-league-path-impacts-college-hoops

Programs that develop and cultivate talent should thrive in a transition period as we will likely see more G-League (or other professional levels) defectors. College basketball doesn’t need "now power”. The college game needs staying power. “Now power” didn’t yield squat in 2019-2020, a down year for college hoops.

Anthony Edwards was on a team that went 16-16 and finished 13th in the SEC. James Wiseman dipped his toe into the college game at Memphis. Isaiah Stewart and Jaden McDaniels were part of a Washington team that went 15-17, finished 12th in the Pac-12 and only won five games in 2020. Cole Anthony was on North Carolina’s 14-19 season (he was 10-12 when he played) and was 13th in the ACC.

Vernon Carey, a constant player in the top five his entire prep career, was the only player inside our final HoopSeen top 7 who actually had team value at the college level as a rookie.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Reckoning is almost here for the Hampton decision, @dtm1997

He's likely to go round 1 but I do think being overseas depressed his draft stock.