Mercy Rule - Thoughts?

FredJacket

Helluva Engineer
SEC is implementing a mercy rule in all conference games beginning this season.

[Game over if one team leads by 10 or more after 7 innings]

I scanned Ga Tech's 2022 ACC schedule. This rule would have applied to 4 or 5 games.... some over in the 8th inning (not after 7). Clearly, this would have no impact on game outcomes (wins & losses). The downside is the loss of maybe up to 8-15 innings across 30 ACC games for guys who don't get a lot of live game action.

YoungSting

Jolly Good Fellow

I scanned Ga Tech's 2022 ACC schedule. This rule would have applied to 4 or 5 games.... some over in the 8th inning (not after 7). Clearly, this would have no impact on game outcomes (wins & losses). The downside is the loss of maybe up to 8-15 innings across 30 ACC games for guys who don't get a lot of live game action.

I would argue this hurts the team winning more than it does the losing team. On the first two games and If I’m up, I want to make the other team throw as many of their arms as possible. I can understand if there is a double header situation and you need to get the games in, but with one game a day it’s not like you don’t have time.
And then to your point, the young guys/depth guys will get a chance to get some innings.

On the other hand, you won’t lose focus with guys just having to sit there waiting for the game to come to and end.

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I think it's a good thing. Losing innings isn't a big deal as people playing in mop up duty aren't getting real practice. How many time have you seen a team down by 45 points in FB at the start of the 4th quarter score 21 points against the 3rd and 4th team to make the score respectable to the people who didn't see the game?

I know this from my limited experience with HS basketball - if I was out there, someone (them or us) was getting beat by 40 points AND there was under 6 minutes of time left on the clock. Sure, I could get hot and go off for 2 or even 4 points against Mohammed, Sydney, Jugdish,Kent Dorfman and Clayton during these 6 minutes but in the first quarter any shot I attempted would be blocked somewhere between 1 - 12" from where it left my hand.

Lone Star Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I think it's a good thing. Losing innings isn't a big deal as people playing in mop up duty aren't getting real practice. How many time have you seen a team down by 45 points in FB at the start of the 4th quarter score 21 points against the 3rd and 4th team to make the score respectable to the people who didn't see the game?

I know this from my limited experience with HS basketball - if I was out there, someone (them or us) was getting beat by 40 points AND there was under 6 minutes of time left on the clock. Sure, I could get hot and go off for 2 or even 4 points against Mohammed, Sydney, Jugdish,Kent Dorfman and Clayton during these 6 minutes but in the first quarter any shot I attempted would be blocked somewhere between 1 - 12" from where it left my hand.
Neidermeier? Dead!