Meeting with Players

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
Earlier today TStan said that he ans Pastner would be meeting with the team later in the day. Anyone know if that meeting took place and what is the attitude of team as well as individual players? I am worried about names showing up in the Transfer Portal.

Deleted member 2897

I actually would only be worried about future recruits/commits. The guys who typically transfer have a beef with the coaches, get wronged by the coaches, don't have access to playing time, and stuff like that. The real negative impact to this team is just the post-season this year. So only a senior like Banks in his last year would miss that...but would you transfer after already transferring and when the season is only a couple months from starting? That's a big risk at this point in the school year when the current staff and coaches haven't done anything wrong to you or while you were here.

And even with future commits (like the one we just got), the post-season suspension is this year and he won't be on campus yet.

Wrecked

Ramblin' Wreck
I actually would only be worried about future recruits/commits. The guys who typically transfer have a beef with the coaches, get wronged by the coaches, don't have access to playing time, and stuff like that. The real negative impact to this team is just the post-season this year. So only a senior like Banks in his last year would miss that...but would you transfer after already transferring and when the season is only a couple months from starting? That's a big risk at this point in the school year when the current staff and coaches haven't done anything wrong to you or while you were here.

And even with future commits (like the one we just got), the post-season suspension is this year and he won't be on campus yet.
The concern is can you maintain the program given the recruiting sanctions. Yes its too late for this year to transfer, but long term, is this going to be a team that is an NCAA participant on a regular basis. If not, I don't blame a player at all for taking advantage of the transfer rule. If I am a sophomore or even a junior, I would take a hard look at the portal.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
If I am Banks I take a hard look to see if there is someone who is just a good 5 away from a deep run.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
The concern is can you maintain the program given the recruiting sanctions. Yes its too late for this year to transfer, but long term, is this going to be a team that is an NCAA participant on a regular basis. If not, I don't blame a player at all for taking advantage of the transfer rule. If I am a sophomore or even a junior, I would take a hard look at the portal.

There could always be a cascading effect where players start to transfer then others read the writing on the wall and leave but unless that happens I'm not sure why the juniors would leave due to the recruiting restrictions. The restrictions probably won't have a big effect on the 2020 class because of the small numbers to start with, and pretty much the entire team would return next year (losing Banks and Phillips), so we would likely have a good shot at the NCAAT next year anyways.

For the others, they might transfer, but it's not like any of them committed under the impression we were a guaranteed NCAAT to begin with. To some degree you would think they came here with the idea of helping to build it. Now they might view that as an unlikely task due to the restrictions, or it might galvanize them around the coach. Hard to get into the heads of players in this situation.

As far as being an NCAAT team on a regular basis, beyond the threat of transfers, the biggest concern is being able to land a good, big, class in 2021 to build around. If we somehow can then I think we will have weathered the storm pretty well. Fortunately, in a big class, if you can land a player or two early, you can potentially have a snowball effect help things and/or have committed players do some recruiting themselves.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
Classes started. So no one can leave til December right? So I can’t see Banks going. I guess he’d get a RS year and be eligible mid season next year. I see no gain with that. The rest? Maybe but they can’t play anywhere else this year and we’re eligible next year and should be a tournament team. So I see no benefit there. Unless someone just wants out, I can’t see why they’d go now. If this was handed out during the summer it might be a different outcome. So we got lucky with timing I guess...

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Classes started. So no one can leave til December right? So I can’t see Banks going. I guess he’d get a RS year and be eligible mid season next year. I see no gain with that. The rest? Maybe but they can’t play anywhere else this year and we’re eligible next year and should be a tournament team. So I see no benefit there. Unless someone just wants out, I can’t see why they’d go now. If this was handed out during the summer it might be a different outcome. So we got lucky with timing I guess...

Please. He'll just petition for an exception with the NeverCooperateWithTheseAholes...A which they'll absolutely grant.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
The Boz knew what time it was
E7B3723D-651A-49F3-896C-DA4F3FE9DDB0.jpeg

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
NCAA mentioned in the report that current players should be waived from the sitout rule if they decide to transfer.

RyanS12

Helluva Engineer
NCAA mentioned in the report that current players should be waived from the sitout rule if they decide to transfer.
My thing is would or could someone go right now before practice starts and classes are already going? If not I see no point really. They’ll be eligible to play next year. Now, if someone sees a sinking ship and has a few years to go to a better situation then I can see it. A guy like Banks, what does he do?

LargeFO

Helluva Engineer
My thing is would or could someone go right now before practice starts and classes are already going? If not I see no point really. They’ll be eligible to play next year. Now, if someone sees a sinking ship and has a few years to go to a better situation then I can see it. A guy like Banks, what does he do?

I don’t see banks leaving since he came back to be close to his mom. Just imo.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
In the case of James & Shembari, if they're gonna leave, they'd just as soon see what professional options are out there, rather than transfer.

It's kind of **** that the NCAA couldn't get this ruling before the school year. I wouldn't want to see anyone transfer, but to have to sit through this will be bull****.

THWG16

Ramblin' Wreck
We’ll hopefully Todd told them he was going to lawyer up and fight like hell to get the postseason ban lifted
We wouldn’t have went to a post season tourney anyway . It hurt to see it but was kinda funny at the same time : someone tweeted “ banning GT b-ball from postseason is liking banning the Miami Marlins from mlb playoffs”, it does suck to know that all the games in regular season don’t help any but what concerns me most is the future implications