Media day Videos....

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
After listening the first time and, now, watching the interviews, I was struck by how CPJ responded to the question that began something like, "I know Ted Roof is responsible for the defensive side . . . " In CPJ's response as he smirked a little he said, "You would be surprised if you knew," or something like that. Point is, I got the distinct impression that CPJ has a real hands on approach to the entire team. I think he tried turning a lot of the defensive responsibilities over to Groh, since he was supposed to be one of the best defensive minds in football at any level, but I feel like he must have vowed after that to never completely turn a defense over to someone else. Anybody else have an impression about that?

GTrob21

Helluva Engineer
After watching those video's I am impressed by our men. They are well-spoken and that is something that makes me proud. We truly are getting a student athlete here at GT. Man I hope we can continue to win big! I can't wait for the season to open! #proudfan

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
After listening the first time and, now, watching the interviews, I was struck by how CPJ responded to the question that began something like, "I know Ted Roof is responsible for the defensive side . . . " In CPJ's response as he smirked a little he said, "You would be surprised if you knew," or something like that. Point is, I got the distinct impression that CPJ has a real hands on approach to the entire team. I think he tried turning a lot of the defensive responsibilities over to Groh, since he was supposed to be one of the best defensive minds in football at any level, but I feel like he must have vowed after that to never completely turn a defense over to someone else. Anybody else have an impression about that?

I talked to one of the veteran players at the CFBHOF night and he told me that CPJ had become much more hands on with the details in practice, something he was not doing when he first came to the program.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
I talked to one of the veteran players at the CFBHOF night and he told me that CPJ had become much more hands on with the details in practice, something he was not doing when he first came to the program.
I doubt he's as "hands on" as GOL was during Roof's first stint as DC.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I think this notion has always been a misconception. I don't think CPJ has ever ceded control of any unit to an assistant. I believe he has certainly ceded play calling on D but that's different than ceding control. If I were to guess...I would say Groh and Womack were cut loose more for their lack of calling plays in the manner CPJ had directed (i.e. Failure to call pressure as directed...simplify play calls..etc) rather than purely being based upon results of the D.

TechCubed

Helluva Engineer
I think CPJ's reaction was grounded in that you can't completely separate the offense and defense from a coaching standpoint. If the defense is having a good or bad day, that will impact offensive play calling and vice versa. There's no arguing that CPJ is one of top offensive minds in the game, but it's a myth to think he keeps all the knowledge about carving up defenses to himself.

There are certainly coaching staffs (our previous one is an example) where there's a real offense vs. defense rivalry, tension, whatever you want to call it, but this isn't one of them. A lot of people rightfully credit team chemistry for last year's success. Don't discount staff chemistry in that equation.

Declinometer

Banned
Trey Braun's remarks really excite me. It appears that every player is buying into to intricacies of the offense so much so that it is fun for them. When you get linemen to enjoy the offense as much as the ball carriers good things have to happen.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
Yeah, but didn't we run a very conservative defense under Roof at the time and wasn't he just a puppet DC under GOL?

my recollection of it was leaky roof....then about midyear GOL said he was going to "take over more" not too different than Paul Johnson...and did...then the roof puppet mantra came out....I think year 2 GOL let back off it again. But it was still semi-leaky roof.

last year was gushing roof...then went to semi-leaking roof.

this year we hope to go from semi-leaking roof to...roof with flashing and shingles (not yet slate roof)

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
my recollection of it was leaky roof....then about midyear GOL said he was going to "take over more" not too different than Paul Johnson...and did...then the roof puppet mantra came out....I think year 2 GOL let back off it again. But it was still semi-leaky roof.

last year was gushing roof...then went to semi-leaking roof.

this year we hope to go from semi-leaking roof to...roof with flashing and shingles (not yet slate roof)
A roof tends to leak with too few shingles or if some are out of place or some were taken out of the factory before all the granules were applied or some were just not very good or if some of the best ones your were planning on using were suddenly lost before the day the roof was put on.

Nook Su Kow

Ramblin' Wreck
That 99 team was something else. Offense was like a machine. Defense was a nightmare. Woody Dantzler, Thomas Jones, hell Spencer Romine all went off on us. Lots of freshman played on that defense if recall correctly.

33jacket

Helluva Engineer
A roof tends to leak with too few shingles or if some are out of place or some were taken out of the factory before all the granules were applied or some were just not very good or if some of the best ones your were planning on using were suddenly lost before the day the roof was put on.
Or the pieces were ok enough and the engineer and architect suck

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer
Or the pieces were ok enough and the engineer and architect suck
I'd say the mass attrition of DLinemen forcing us to play certain guys early and others out of position meets my metaphor a little better. I have no idea how you can say "the pieces were ok enough.."