MD Series

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
http://www.ramblinwreck.com/sports/m-basebl/spec-rel/041714aaa.html

We keep playing error free ball and the pitching holds up and the batter keep hitting, well you get the idea. ;)

Weather in upper 50's Friday and 60's on Sat and Sun. Great Beesball weather.

We are sixth in the ACC and need 2 of 3 to stay there probably, but the odds are against that if you believe the whole season RPIs. MD is at home and 20th (or so) and we are 30th (or so). http://www.boydsworld.com/baseball/rpi/currentrpi.html. We are playing a lot better than the first 20 games, but we can't have a slump or we'll lose the top 6 in the ACC.

gtrower

Helluva Engineer
I'm not buying Maryland's RPI. They have a pretty good OOC record against some decent clubs, but they are 1-5 in ACC series thus far. Basically a good weekend rotation with little to no hitting. I think we take 2 of 3.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
I'm not buying Maryland's RPI. They have a pretty good OOC record against some decent clubs, but they are 1-5 in ACC series thus far. Basically a good weekend rotation with little to no hitting. I think we take 2 of 3.

That kinda sounds like us, actually.

Truth is these days in college baseball, each game will be close (likely) because there really just isn't much hitting anymore...so walks, errors, hit batsmen, base-running all make the difference between winning and losing. We have been playing sound fundamental "don't beat yourself" baseball recently for the most part. That MUST continue for this Joltin' Jackets team to win this series....

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Good to see you over here GT Rower. Hope you're right.

I forgot to mention two other aspects of our game which seem improved. First the difficult fielding plays made. Second, base running has gotten a lot better from early in the season.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I'm looking forward to a time when we can expect to score after the first inning in more than 25% of our games.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm looking forward to a time when we can expect to score after the first inning in more than 25% of our games.

We scored in the second too :notworthy:. I hear you. Early in the season we got behind and came back in 12 of 13 games or something. Now we get ahead and don't score late. Just the way it is?

Anyway, we are tied for 6th with Duke now, so we are in 7th place.

Clay has been wild the last three games he's been in. Don't know why, but it's getting old with 20 other pitchers available. He was really good earlier in the year. I guess pitching is all mental once you have the physical ability......

Anyway, hope we get back on track today. Ugly day here in Va but supposed to be warmer and sunny at U of MD...... we will do better today .........

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
How about 13-6 going to the bottom of the 12th? Only scored 7 in the 12th.

Duke swept VT so we are in 7th in the ACC, s game behind the Dukes. (Assuming we win.)

it is entirely possible that 5 teams will finish 15-15 in the ACC and tied for 6th place. In fact if N C State takes 2 of 3 from GT next weekend, I would even say it is likely. I suppose it is a little early to worry about tiebreakers, but what a mess that would be!

This win was so important for GT, so necessary to keep our hopes alive. Our RPI remains solid (Maryland is #19 and GT is #27 after this series). Mercer whom we visit on Tuesday is now 31-10 and #30 in the RPI. N C State has slipped down to #57 in RPI , so we really need to win 2 of 3 from them. IF we do that, I think we can take 6th place in the ACC.

Duke still has to play Miami and FSU after visiting WF next weekend. After we visit N C State, we have VT at home, then UVa on the road. So Duke faces a tougher schedule than we do.