MCCamish seating for this season

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
All available seats going to students and then SA, coaches and AD guests. I'm actually a little surprised they are getting 1200 in.

In order to maintain social distancing guidelines recommended for indoor events by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), McCamish Pavilion’s capacity will be limited to approximately 1,200 seats for the 2020-21 season. Of those 1,200 seats, 900 will be reserved for Georgia Tech students. In the event that the full allotment of 900 seats are not allocated to Georgia Tech students, particularly when students are largely away from campus from late November through early January, those tickets will be made available to Georgia Tech faculty and staff. Details on the ticket distribution process for Georgia Tech students, faculty and staff will be finalized and communicated in the very near future.

The remaining 300 seats will be distributed to student-athletes’, coaches’ and athletics department guests. Regrettably, due to the limited capacity and allocation of available tickets, there will not be any public ticket sales.

YlJacket

Helluva Engineer
Expect they consider the students a psedu bubble given the restrictions they have on campus. 🤷‍♂️ The other side is no public ticket sales so no totally outside influences.

Will be interesting to see how they spread them out.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'm sort of expecting they will space the students around the court in the first few rows. I'm assuming the guests will be in the club area.

I'm not expecting them to make exceptions. If anything it won't surprise me if they make the numbers smaller as the winter goes on if cases/hospitalizations keep rising. They will do everything they can to try to have an NCAA Tourney and if that means no fans I think they will go that route.

Ivy League cancelled their winter sports yesterday (though keep in mind the Ivies don't need money from their sports programs so it is a relatively easy call for them).

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I'll go out on the limb and say it...unless it is Duke or UNC, we won't have 900 students at a single game this year.

Assuming that the game against Kentucky is a no-go as well? Isn't it being played at State Farm arena?

Deleted member 2897

With how football is falling apart, I have no confidence we’ll get far with basketball. Nobody is going to the extents we are in separating guys, so a single positive case and an entire team misses 2 weeks. We may not have anyone to play most of the time. I guess we’ll see. It’s just impossible to expect student athletes to not be students, see friends, do social things, etc.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
With how football is falling apart, I have no confidence we’ll get far with basketball. Nobody is going to the extents we are in separating guys, so a single positive case and an entire team misses 2 weeks. We may not have anyone to play most of the time. I guess we’ll see. It’s just impossible to expect student athletes to not be students, see friends, do social things, etc.

I certainly agree with you on the big picture and this is something i've been dreading for months as a huge college BB Fan.
The big issue isn't even that they are students, etc. It is that unless you create a bubble like the NBA did (and there is no way college bb can do that), you are simply part of a larger environment and you are going to be subject to the same forces.

If rates are going up nationally or in a region, eventually it is going to start affecting college teams. I saw yet another college fb game scheduled for tomorrow has been cancelled this afternoon - that brings the total to at least 12 for this weekend. That's over 20% of all scheduled games this weekend.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
To your point... it's like dominoes. Not official, but whispers are that Iona may cancel their 1st four games due to a positive CV19 test.

GTHomer

Ramblin' Wreck
Instead of the 'perks' I'd prefer to be given a link to an easy to use and free streaming of all our games on the internet.

While I agree with your point, I'd be willing to pay a nominal cost to see the games, more so to cover any expenses in the broadcast production.

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Rick Pitino is tweeting that the season needs to be postponed to save it and there needs to be a May Madness instead of March Madness.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I kinda love the idea that it'll be mainly students.

If we play well, they'll show up & be loud. Also, no opposing fans.
Yeah, but loud is relative. 900 people aren’t going to make a whole bunch of noise that affects play. Interesting move by GTAA given all the griping going on about loss of revenue.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Yeah, but loud is relative. 900 people aren’t going to make a whole bunch of noise that affects play. Interesting move by GTAA given all the griping going on about loss of revenue.

I've said this elsewhere, but why would we assume that the GTAA made the final call on this move and it wasn't Cabrera keeping the campus bubble tighter?

RamblinRed

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
The press release from GT mentions they are following the guidelines from the CDC and ACC for indoor events.
I doubt this call was made by anybody but the President.
I'm assuming that based on the size of McCamish that is the largest number of people they could fit and still meet the guidelines. We're lucky we are in a state that even allows attendence at indoor events and if cases keep rising at their current rate we may not be worried about whether we can have 1,000 people in the building.