Maryland's move to BIG10, would have been better off moving too?

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
They'll be gone.
You're saying they will just throw away the biggest and one of the biggest media mkts and the massive dollars and what that means to the TV folks that will be providing over half of the funds (by that time) to the conference???

Last edited:

JacketFan137

Banned
They will always need cannon fodder to pad the records
and that’s why i think tech won’t get left behind as much as people think we will. i don’t know that they want to form a super league with ohio state, bama, uga etc because they don’t want the championship to be 8-4 ohio state vs 9-3 bama. it’s much prettier to the viewers to watch 12-0 teams in the playoffs, and the mystique of the undefeated season is still king. as a school with an ideal tv market and good academics we are gonna have a place in the top half of the fbs for the foreseeable future

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
There was a huge rift among the Maryland people on leaving the ACC for the Big 10. They were very split and tensions were very high.
And how has that moved worked out for them?

ChicagobasedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
There was a huge rift among the Maryland people on leaving the ACC for the Big 10. They were very split and tensions were very high.
Their revenue generating programs took a step back but they have a lot more money to fund other sports, little debt, and they are able to money whip teams for coaches (see their latest basketball coach hire).

JacketOff

Helluva Engineer
They’re about the same in football, slightly worse in basketball, and a little bit better in baseball. They pay their coaches and faculty more, so that’s good for them I guess.

Since there hasn’t been a whole lot of change record wise, it comes down to whether their fans like playing OSU, PSU, Michigan, MSU, Iowa, Wisconsin, Minnesota, etc more. Or if they would prefer to play Clemson, Florida State, Miami, Virginia, VT, UNC, Wake, NC State, GT, etc more. Because there hasn’t been a whole lot of change otherwise. They aren’t competing for more titles, they aren’t anymore prominent nationally. The only thing that really matters is how their fans feel about their opponents, and whether or not they enjoy their games now more, or against their more historic ACC rivals.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
This. The open question is whether the added money would result in better athletic performances. I agree the Big Ten would be stiffer competition, but we'll never know if extra money would solve our problems. Extra money could have allowed us to gamble on someone like Prime Time as a new HFC which could turn out to be horrible or great. Could fund us to try to attract top flight talent for our coordinator positions. (Garret Riley anyone?)

Now, we'll never know.

We DO know we face a very diifcult task to be competitive on a shoestring budget. We may well have gotten lucky with Key and Company but if so, it is against the odds.
We never seem to have even close to what we need financially to recruit. I think our recruiting would have gotten better in the B1G and, with that, we would see improvement.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
I think people care about Clemson and FSU and a few others to a much lesser degree. Beyond these the rest of the ACC is just names on a schedule to most Tech fans in my experience.
I would miss Clemson, our historic rival that we always had on the schedule along with Tulane. But I would gladly replace Miami with Penn State or Michigan. FSU I might miss but playing Ohio State would more than make up for that.

Now if our out of conference games included the occasional Auburn or Tennessee I’d be happy.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
It is sad to see the only reason to go to BIG10 is to fix our finances. By the way Maryland’s finances were way worse than ours, that is why they had to move to BIG10 originally. Personally I prefer being in ACC. I also feel most of the coaches are over paid. I would like us to shift as much money to NIL as we can and reduce coaching salaries and facilities spending. I think this could get us through until our finances are improved.

forensicbuzz

Helluva Engineer
we would still have the insurmountable obstacle that is ohio state/michigan/penn state that would probably whoop us, but we’d at least have the funds to try to do something about it
Wouldn't lump Penn State in there, but when you say Ohio State and Michigan, you mean like uga and Clemson? Yeah, I wouldn't want to have to face that every year.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone really care about our ACC “rivals” ? I do not, at all. I don’t miss Maryland either.

Outside of Clemson, would we really miss playing anyone in the ACC? Our real historical rivals are in the SEC. So we trade out Clemson for OSU or Michigan...both schools have large alumni bases in Atlanta. If GT wanted, we could still schedule ACC schools for the GT fans that miss that ACC flavor.

I'd rather take the $75-$100 Million paycheck per year to make GTAA healthy again, and see schools like Wisconsin, Iowa, Penn State, Michigan, OSU, Mich State at BDS. We also have UGA we play every year and other potential SEC matchups we usually try to schedule.

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
We haven’t been in the SEC for 60 years. When you say historical that is prehistoric. We’ve been in ACC for 40 years now. The fans that actually remember us in SEC are mostly over 70+.

ThatGuy

Ramblin' Wreck
That's over half this Board and 90% of the posters.
FWIW, I'll chime in as one of those who came in during the ACC years (first started going to GT games as a young kid in the early 1980's), and I'd for sure miss a lot of the ACC rivalries we've developed over the years. That includes the 1980s ACC teams, as well as more recent additions like Va Tech. In both football and basketball - I remember fondly getting to the ACC tournament in Bball in 1990, and on day 1 hearing "Go to hell, Carolina, go to hell" cries echoing through the arena. (North Carolina didn't play until the following day).

Maybe that's just a familiarity bias, but if we moved, I for one would definitely miss some of them. But I also remember playing Bama and Auburn every now and then, so those are teams I already miss.