Maryland's move to BIG10, would have been better off moving too?

Novajacket

Jolly Good Fellow
https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/12/01/maryland-football-future/

Interesting article from J Feinstein on Maryland's move to the BIG10. Makes me think we would be in a similar position if we would have moved. Yes we would have a lot more money, however as far as in conference we would still be making less overall then the big public schools. I look at Northwestern, Rutgers, and don't see how this works out to our benefit, other than having more money to hire a bigger name, and then have similar results.

UgaBlows

Helluva Engineer

Interesting article from J Feinstein on Maryland's move to the BIG10. Makes me think we would be in a similar position if we would have moved. Yes we would have a lot more money, however as far as in conference we would still be making less overall then the big public schools. I look at Northwestern, Rutgers, and don't see how this works out to our benefit, other than having more money to hire a bigger name, and then have similar results.
We could pay off our debt

gdamian

Georgia Tech Fan
Since neither Maryland nor GT are going to win a natty (in the current environment) isn't it all about the money?

00Burdell

Helluva Engineer

As I recall, the biggest reason we, as a fan base, didn't want to move to the B1G was the prospect of away games at Minnesota.

Seriously tho - at the time, it didn't seem to make as much sense as it does now. I wish we had jumped ship when we had the chance. We stopped being a cultural fit with the SEC over half a century ago - time to embrace who and what we are and let go of the past.

slugboy

Staff member
Would our record be better? No. Assuming that we did everything else the same, we would have the same or worse record.The B1G is tougher competition, generally.
Would our finances be better? Yes.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
Personally I would rather see us and the ACC become super successful and make the money come to us. 2 or 3 teams in the top ten every year instead of one or two in the top 25.
Me too. But for that to happen we need one to two great teams, two or three more good teams and a bunch of bad teams who play weak schedules outside the conference for them to beat up. That's the SEC-way, because it just means more.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
I believe the Big 10 eventually comes down the East Coast of US, we're an AAU school and in the 7th(and growing) media market and people in Big have let everyone know that media mkts are what they're looking for. We may get another chance, no I don't know how the GOR is dealt with but the ACC schools will be forced to deal with it or die IMO. Higher education is in for a massive shake up and down sizing over the next 10-15 years IMO so you have two enormous forces coming together that will see big change. My guess is we end up in the Big 10, they will want us also. It's important that we move into big boy FB and stay away from gimmick CFB. We will be able to recruit, we just need money in the meantime to get us from here to there IMO.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
The wealth gap between Maryland and GT will grow significantly in the next 10 years due to our poor media deal. Staying in the ACC was a terrible decision by our leadership.
Looking back yes it was a terrible decision. But if I remember correctly most of the fans in the ACC thought it was good at the time because most thought the ACC would fold.

MWBATL

Helluva Engineer
Would our record be better? No. Assuming that we did everything else the same, we would have the same or worse record.The B1G is tougher competition, generally.
This. The open question is whether the added money would result in better athletic performances. I agree the Big Ten would be stiffer competition, but we'll never know if extra money would solve our problems. Extra money could have allowed us to gamble on someone like Prime Time as a new HFC which could turn out to be horrible or great. Could fund us to try to attract top flight talent for our coordinator positions. (Garret Riley anyone?)

Now, we'll never know.

We DO know we face a very diifcult task to be competitive on a shoestring budget. We may well have gotten lucky with Key and Company but if so, it is against the odds.

a5ehren

Jolly Good Fellow
In a few years the B1G is going to be sending something like 6x the TV money (25m vs 150m) to schools compared to the ACC.

It's a no-brainer if you get the offer, but I don't think we ever had one. The next move is probably a super-league where the big names leave the dead-weight like Northwestern and Miss State behind, and we're not getting that call.

Roswellgoldmember

Georgia Tech Fan
No idea if our record is better but we unlikely do that same thing with the additional money. We have more money for head coaches, coordinators, etc.

stinger 1957

Helluva Engineer
In a few years the B1G is going to be sending something like 6x the TV money (25m vs 150m) to schools compared to the ACC.

It's a no-brainer if you get the offer, but I don't think we ever had one. The next move is probably a super-league where the big names leave the dead-weight like Northwestern and Miss State behind, and we're not getting that call.
And what about schools like MD and Rutgers?

JacketFan137

Banned
we would still have the insurmountable obstacle that is ohio state/michigan/penn state that would probably whoop us, but we’d at least have the funds to try to do something about it

Techster

Helluva Engineer
we would still have the insurmountable obstacle that is ohio state/michigan/penn state that would probably whoop us, but we’d at least have the funds to try to do something about it

Those are only 3 teams, and it doesn't mean we play them all. Most of the teams in the B1G GT should be competitive with.

This whole thing about not being able to compete in the B1G is such a poor copout. I'm not picking on you when I say that...plenty of our fans keep bringing it up. That's a total "little brother" mentality and why GT is held back. Do you think Key wants to compete at the highest level? That's why he called out UGA today...IMO, that's more a message to GT fans than UGA, because he wants GT fans to have the mentality that we need to think bigger, and compete at a higher level.

In 2 years, the B1G payout will be $75 MILLION per team, and that will only increase with a projected payout of over $100 MILLLION in 5 years. Not only can GT pay down capital debts that have dragged down our potential, GT can also higher better coaches, staff up our recruiting personnel, hire better assistant coaches. That's a LOT of money and ability to operate on a net positive basis to give up just because some fans don't want to go to Minnesota or Ohio in November.

How GT would do in the B1G (or SEC) depends on the decisions GTAA makes. If we continue to hire coaches like Collins in football and Brian Gregory in basketball, of course GT will struggle. I think CPJ in his prime, and George O'Leary in his prime...both staffed with high level assistants and a full support staff off the field and in the recruiting room could 100% have GT competing at a high level in the B1G (or any other conference).

It's all moot anyhow because GT decided to be very shortsighted. So now we'll continue to struggle every year because our funding is severely limited. We are a product of our decisions...and our decisions have been extremely piss poor.

Last edited:

JacketFan137

Banned
Those are only 3 teams, and it doesn't mean we play them all. Most of the teams in the B1G GT should be competitive with.

This whole thing about not being able to compete in the B1G is such a poor copout. I'm not picking on you when I say that...plenty of our fans keep bringing it up. That's a total "little brother" mentality and why GT is held back. Do you think Key wants to compete at the highest level? That's why he called out UGA today...IMO, that's more a message to GT fans than UGA, because he wants GT fans to have the mentality that we need to think better, and compete at a higher level.

In 2 years, the B1G payout will be $75 MILLION per team, and that will only increase with a projected payout of over $100 MILLLION in 5 years. Not only can GT pay down capital debts that had dragged down our potential, GT can also higher better coaches, staff up our recruiting personnel, hire better assistant coaches. That's a LOT of money and ability to operate on a net basis to give up just because some fans don't want to go to Minnesota or Ohio in November.

How GT would do in the B1G (or SEC) depends on the decisions GTAA makes. If we continue to hire coaches like Collins in football and Brian Gregory in basketball, of course GT will struggle. I think CPJ in his prime, and George O'Leary in his prime...both staffed with high level assistants and a full support staff off the field and in the recruiting room could 100% have GT competing at a high level in the B1G (or any other conference).

It's all moot anyhow because GT decided to be very shortsighted. So now we'll continue to struggle every year because our funding is severely limited. We are a product of our decisions...and our decisions have been extremely piss poor.
we would likely end up playing at least 1 possibly 2 or even all because of the way the divisions were set up. also just being realistic in the 18 years of the acc championship we have been 3 times on our own merit and 1 time that was a product of unc and miami being on probation. that is also on a coastal side where we don’t have to finish above clemson and fsu who have been the two best acc teams in that stretch. crazy things can happen but objectively i am not sure that we would be able to finish above those big 10 teams i mentioned or wisconsin.

i’m cool with what key said about uga and i want him to have that mentality but ultimately it really doesn’t matter what i think either way. i’ll buy my season tickets and continue going to the games as i always do but my expectations ultimately have zero impact on the results. we are not gonna be consistently competitive with ohio state, uga or bama any time soon. maybe some things go right and we catch lightning in a bottle over one season but i believe 08/09 is the only back to back ranked finishes for gt since 2000. that’s just the facts.

even though this is how i feel i still wish we would have jumped ship when we had the chance. the acc is ran like **** and has looked at us as an afterthought basically the whole time we’ve been here. i have no idea why we showed any loyalty