Martyr or Maniac? Georgia Tech Edition.

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member
I am in a good vs. evil battle of epic proportions and am asking this unbiased group to provide feedback or validation.

Situation: My HOA Board has nothing better to do - shocker. After living in the neighborhood for 10+ years, the current Board decided this past fall that we needed greater uniformity with our mailboxes. To start, everyone has the same cookie-cutter black mailbox. The variation at the time was the mailbox flag color. The split? Roughly 50% red and 50% yellow. What did the HOA decide? Red was the "preferred" color.

My Response: First, my legitimate interpretation was that "preferred" does not equal "required". So what did I do? I painted my mailbox like a loyal rule-abiding homeowner and found the brightest yellow I could find for my mailbox flag.

The Fallout: I've been told for the last 7 months that while there is no actual rule re: the mailbox flag color, the Board has the right to enforce this. The lemmings across the neighborhood have left me with an 86 red/3 yellow split. If I do not submit to this atrocity, we will be fined $25/month. My wife considers my actions petty (Maniac). I'm petty? No, the Board is petty. I feel like I am doing God's work (Martyr). It has been important that I let the Board know my true feelings about this and document such in writing to the property management group, which has been deemed "embarrassing" and "I don't want to hear about it, ever, again" by the other half.

Am I a martyr or a maniac? What next steps do you recommend? This has life-changing decision written all over it, and I'm not sure what to do.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Few Thoughts...

81vIVmNu1ML._SX466_.jpg

thumb.aspx

images

For # 3 leave the flag color yellow and when they ask you to change your mailbox, complain that you thought this was america and ask them if they have a problem with the american flag. Yes the yellow flag has nothing to do with it, but I assume they'll try and make you change the entire thing, and there's a long list of HOA's trying to make people take down patriotic stuff and getting into hot water about it.

Deleted member 2897

I painted a large "GT" in my front lawn last year after we beat @Louisville, which broke a several game road streak (and was part of a stretch where we went 6-1). Apparently its in a grey area where doing things like decorating for Halloween is okay, but they were worried the neighborhood might suddenly be full of college logos painted real large in everyone's front yard. It just so happened it was around Halloween, so I used that as an excuse and told them I would make sure it fades or grows and gets cut within a couple weeks.

The bottom line is that these mafia warloads can put liens on your home. If that fine and requirement is in your homeowners rules, then I think you need to do it. If its not, then they're just making things up.

dhbartlett12

Ramblin' Wreck
Ah yes, destroy the darn thing. Nothing good comes in the mail anyways. Tell your friends to use fedex.

If the neighbors complain, tell them to take it up with the federal government

Animal02

Banned
I painted a large "GT" in my front lawn last year after we beat @Louisville, which broke a several game road streak (and was part of a stretch where we went 6-1). Apparently its in a grey area where doing things like decorating for Halloween is okay, but they were worried the neighborhood might suddenly be full of college logos painted real large in everyone's front yard. It just so happened it was around Halloween, so I used that as an excuse and told them I would make sure it fades or grows and gets cut within a couple weeks.

The bottom line is that these mafia warloads can put liens on your home. If that fine and requirement is in your homeowners rules, then I think you need to do it. If its not, then they're just making things up.
Just put lots of fertilizer in the GT shape.........

I wasn't aware that the flags could be any color other than red. Apparently I was wrong. I wouldn't continue to fight the flag color issue, but I WOULD do something like @JDjacket's option #2. A big GT or Buzz on there would look great, no matter what color the flag is.

JDjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
In a list of things HOA's can't do

"
3. Fine you for fun
Fines are the lifeblood of a malicious HOA—and we cannot, unfortunately, tell you that they're blatantly illegal. But they "must be set forth in the association's rules and bylaws," says Barbara Jordan, a real estate lawyer in Columbus, OH.

Are threatening letters making an appearance in your mailbox, telling you to trim that rosebush or face a fine? Check the community's CC&Rs before complying. If that fine isn't listed, you might not need to pay.

Of course, that doesn't mean your HOA board will roll over, either; you might need to appeal the fine. If so, first scrutinize those CC&Rs to make sure you have standing. Then, gather all the evidence you have and present it at the next board meeting. (Your HOA may have specific instructions for this process—make sure you follow them!) If your argument is sound, they could pull back the charges.

4. Make decisions on the fly
Your community's HOA treasurer can't suddenly decide she hates pink mailboxes. Next time Shirley Homeowner comes over complaining, practice these magic words: "Is that mentioned in the CC&Rs?"

And slipping rules in under the cover of darkness is an HOA no-no. The regulations for how new rules can be enacted should be outlined in your CC&R—and if the HOA isn't following its own stipulations, you have a valid complaint for any secret swashbuckling.

If you do suspect something shady is afoot, start requesting documents and attending public meetings."

So yea as @bwelbo said, check the actual rules and see if it's written in there or if it's actually been voted on.
Bottom line is I think HOA's telling people what they can and can't do to their property is absolutely stupid. I understand that there's circumstances where an extreme cases may lower surrounding property value, but I would say mailbox flag color is probably pretty negligible when it comes to affecting surrounding property value and sale price.