Marshall looks worse...

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
Ok let me explain the first one. Overly aggressive defenses like clemson often fire outside backers when they read pitch. Because we havent had thi gs like spot routes and short hitches off a three step roll i. Our playbook they can fire those backers with minimal risk and just play cover one or cover 2 shell. So far that kills our short run game and we get stuck in 2nd and 11 and 3rd and 9. If tq can get to where he can complete these 5 yard routes it will keep the defense from .Run blitzing off motion which might allow us to catch them at the second level. The fact that you cant see this suggest you do not really know what you are talking about.

Short routes like this are the staple of the run and shoot and the west coast offense. In a west coast offense its usually the tight end running this route or inside slot recievers and the tight end doing a out and spot. Or a slant and flat.
Complete agreement on this . I didn't know all the jargon, and I am FAR from an expert, but even I can see that a 5-10 passing game directed in the area of an outside LB will give him something to think about rather than constantly run blitzing. At least to freeze him for a second or two, or even better take a step back, which would help spring the run.

Jacket in Dairyland

Helluva Engineer
TM is gonna be a huge headache for opposing Ds even with his passing woes. Look for a lot of QB draws this year imo.

Sometimes he throws over the target, sometimes he throws ducks deep, sometimes he throws too late. When he scrambles he’s hard as hell to contain. I think he’s gonna scramble a lot and throw when defenses start keeping help back to spy him. Will lead to more 1 on 1 coverage and simpler reads.

Time will tell. He can win big games for us though.

Game was a lot more enjoyable not following game time chat. I’m avoiding more of the post game threads for same reason :D
He got banged up when scrambling in this game against FCS competition. When he runs out of the pocket against better competition, they will be trying to make him have to sit for a while. Especially knowing our lack of depth at QB. A QB cannot run ( scramble) as recklessly as he does at times, without really increasing his risk of injury.

684Bee

Helluva Engineer
He got banged up when scrambling in this game against FCS competition. When he runs out of the pocket against better competition, they will be trying to make him have to sit for a while. Especially knowing our lack of depth at QB. A QB cannot run ( scramble) as recklessly as he does at times, without really increasing his risk of injury.

He got banged up because someone did a terrible job in pass protection and a guy came around the left side and hit him low.

alentrekin

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't mean to be a punk, but "fire outside backers when they read pitch" is just regular old defense, it's not a run blitz. The passing game to beat this is PA bc it plays with that read.

If you are worried about actual run blitzes, as the other poster said those leave safeties more or less manned up on the As. The reason we "need" deep passing in this offense is to beat these safeties when they cheat by alignment. If they are lined up at 7-10 yards, they can still take away underneath stuff and roll one way or the other to fill the alley. But if they do this, then four verticals leaves someone wide open. I think CPJ needs to work with what TM gives him; it's on him if he calls something TM can't hit after a year and a game. (Also, get graham ready.. :)

It was hard to watch TM and BM's press conference. Neither of them thought they played very well, but they still seem confident in this year's team.

Frenchise

Ramblin' Wreck
I don't mean to be a punk, but "fire outside backers when they read pitch" is just regular old defense, it's not a run blitz. The passing game to beat this is PA bc it plays with that read.

If you are worried about actual run blitzes, as the other poster said those leave safeties more or less manned up on the As. The reason we "need" deep passing in this offense is to beat these safeties when they cheat by alignment. If they are lined up at 7-10 yards, they can still take away underneath stuff and roll one way or the other to fill the alley. But if they do this, then four verticals leaves someone wide open. I think CPJ needs to work with what TM gives him; it's on him if he calls something TM can't hit after a year and a game. (Also, get graham ready.. :)

It was hard to watch TM and BM's press conference. Neither of them thought they played very well, but they still seem confident in this year's team.

This this and this. Little 5 yard dinks won't make the safeties back up, which is what we are trying to do. The decision tree for this offense when safeties cheat is to try to burn them over the top. We cannot do this at the moment. If those safeties can cheat, the keep and the pitch are no longer advantage plays where we have an extra man. The LB can take the QB and the safety will take the pitch. This may not be a big problem when you got better athletes, but if you don't - it turns into 3 & 10 really easily.

takethepoints

Helluva Engineer
This this and this. Little 5 yard dinks won't make the safeties back up, which is what we are trying to do. The decision tree for this offense when safeties cheat is to try to burn them over the top. We cannot do this at the moment.
Well … we didn't succeed yesterday, but, then again, we didn't try very hard or need to. It isn't that TM can't make the throw. See:

As I've said before, he has the arm and he will use it this year. The problem is that we throw long so often. And - you can look - most QBs have a pretty poor completion average with throws of 40+ yards. This makes completion rates for our QBs rather low, generally. If TaQuon can keep at a 50% or close completion rate - like yesterday - this year then, imho, this part of the game will take care of itself.

Next week will tell us more on every aspect of the team.

GTFLETCH

Banned
I would not be sad to see Tobias Oliver start if Marshall counties to play the way he did against Alcorn St (Basically an AB at the QB spot)... I am not sure the passing game can get much worse and why not put TM at AB and not Turn Tobias loose... At some point one of the younger quarterbacks probably need some actually game experience so we can build for the future.

jgtengineer

Helluva Engineer

There are two types of run blitzes that venerables uses. Against us he mainly uses zone blitzes leaving his safeties to drop into cover 2 zones instead of man up on the a backs. He does this just in case we get to the edge on them ( a safety playing man on an A back cna be run off instead of blocked as they have to respect the potential for the option pass). He is blitzing the linebackers as they don't break off at all and are doing it to jump the snap.

In comparison Foster likes to man blitz the A gap against us. This is why juene and stewart both had long touchdowns last year.

Skeptic

Helluva Engineer
Marshall is Marshall and while his passing frustrates a lot of us -- it certainly frustrates me -- and he is a big boy who I am sure expects criticism, and even Johnson post-game (The Athletic) was brutally honest about the day's passing game. But let's give the kid some credit. It seemed to me he was much better with his option pitches, including a couple on the triple, and that in addition to passing was a major weakness last season. If he can't throw he can't throw -- Tevin Washington could not throw, either -- but if he can make the reads and run the option, then Tech is potent again.

stech81

Helluva Engineer
Sorry I was not calling out anyone talking in g
I would not be sad to see Tobias Oliver start if Marshall counties to play the way he did against Alcorn St (Basically an AB at the QB spot)... I am not sure the passing game can get much worse and why not put TM at AB and not Turn Tobias loose... At some point one of the younger quarterbacks probably need some actually game experience so we can build for the future.
You are kidding ?

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Was wondering how long it’d take you to post the AB at QB line.

You held out longer than I expected congrats.

MountainBuzzMan

Helluva Engineer

Since Marshall has a much better handle on the running aspect of our O and we are primarily a running offensive, it would be dumb to put Oliver over Marshall because he "may" be able to throw better the 20% of the time we do throw.