Mark Price fired...

Deleted member 2897

Its a tough business. He had 3 guys graduate off last year's team, and then 5 more transferred. He's currently playing 2 Seniors who transferred in, so they're pretty new, and a Junior who transferred in, so he's new too. Outside of those 3, he's got 6 Freshmen, so they're obviously all new. I think he has like 2 guys on the entire roster who have been with him for more than 1 year. And I think his recruiting has been problematic - classes always full of unrated guys. Its gotta be pretty difficult to recruit up there when you're surrounded by UNCheat, Duke, NC State, Wake on the high end, and then established folks like Davidson smaller down.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
I don't recall his ever being a college assistant coach, was that the case? I know he was in the NBA, and then a shooting guru. Typically not a good idea to jump right into program stewardship.

okiemon

Helluva Engineer
I remember when he was drafted, and all of the so-called "experts" said he'd never make it in the NBA. Too small and too slow, they said. If GT could find a few more small, slow guys who played as smart and hard as he did, we'd win it all.

Last edited:

Jacket Forever

Jolly Good Fellow
I wish Mark well but I didn’t want an unproven guy here. As much as I liked him as a player and even as an NBA assistant, I had my reservations as to whether or not Mark REALLY wanted to be a HC in a motor conference. He hung around the NBA until a few years back and didn’t get started on the college coaching journey until he 50. If you ask me, that’s generally too old to be starting out. I also have to wonder if the age gap STARTING OUT was a contributing factor to him having five players transfer? Nevertheless, he’s a Jacket and I wish him great luck.

ramblinwreck1378

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree on the quick trigger. In my opinion, you really need to give a guy a full team of his players before you make a decision.

Overall, I don't think the Charlotte fan base loves this move and they're fairly unhappy with their AD Judy Rose. Will be interesting to see where they go from here.

kg01

Get-Bak! Coach
Featured Member
Hope he comes to GT as an assistant coach and starts rebuilding his career coaching.

Why? Because he is a GT guy and was frickin awesome. I want a reason to care about the program. CJP is doing that with his paying for student tickets and wide open attitude. I wouldn't mind adding Price to that.

I don't. First loss and half the fanbase will be wanting to move him to the HC chair to get a "Tech man" in place although it's clear he's not HC material.

grandpa jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Agree on the quick trigger. In my opinion, you really need to give a guy a full team of his players before you make a decision.

Overall, I don't think the Charlotte fan base loves this move and they're fairly unhappy with their AD Judy Rose. Will be interesting to see where they go from here.
It was a quick trigger pull, also a hard, hard job. Recruiting against all the NC colleges

GTRX7

Helluva Engineer
Its a tough business. He had 3 guys graduate off last year's team, and then 5 more transferred. He's currently playing 2 Seniors who transferred in, so they're pretty new, and a Junior who transferred in, so he's new too. Outside of those 3, he's got 6 Freshmen, so they're obviously all new. I think he has like 2 guys on the entire roster who have been with him for more than 1 year. And I think his recruiting has been problematic - classes always full of unrated guys. Its gotta be pretty difficult to recruit up there when you're surrounded by UNCheat, Duke, NC State, Wake on the high end, and then established folks like Davidson smaller down.

That is tough. Why did the five guys transfer?

Hope he comes to GT as an assistant coach and starts rebuilding his career coaching.

Why? Because he is a GT guy and was frickin awesome. I want a reason to care about the program. CJP is doing that with his paying for student tickets and wide open attitude. I wouldn't mind adding Price to that.
This x 1million. He's is class personified. Not a better ambassador for Tech basketball.