Marietta Daily Journal: GT's Paul Johnson kicks season off with positive message

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Hey supersize....how many great Duke coaches have you seen lately? Cutliff is very good IMO but he is getting far more support from the university than Roof ever even dreamed of. I'd definitely give Roof a shot at the HC job. Who would be your pick? I'm truly interested.

Have seen Spurrier lately. It seems to be conventional wisdom that each succeeding coach appears to get more concessions, support if you will, than those before him. If so, Cut is getting more than TR did. And TR would have gotten more than Spurrier did.

As always damn those who insisted we hire a "Tech Man" and prevented us from hiring Doug Dickey instead of Carson. And prevented us from hiring Spurrier instead of Curry.

That was a good MDJ article and CPJ came off quite well.

He will, indeed, be fired / retire / or get another job. 36 years is quite a carrier. Doubt he gets another job. So I would guess that it is 50 / 50 he is fired or retires. Hope he has enough real success left to retire here.

And, please God, let not the Hill hurt our program any further when we do have to get another coach.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
I hope so.
Even if so so 2014', we need to give coach chance in 2015 to play ND & FSU.
By then we Will know if it's time to double down or make major change at end of year.

I sure like coaches swagger. He seems to have figured out that a few positive words from the boss goes a long way.
Now we need some Dodd luck and an aggressive defense( turnovers) and some long JT runs in 2014 to lead us into 2015.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Dodd understood there was no one better to lead Georgia Tech than a Georgia Tech man. Even though he was a Tennessee guy he knew that he was damn lucky to be the third head coach at the Institute. He even acknowledged he would have a lot of problems passing classes at Tech and would probably ended up at Georgie if the Tennessee thing had not come through at the last minute. He came to understand the unique culture and tradition of Georgia Tech as an assistant coach under Coach Alexander for many years prior to taking the helm at Tech. Dodd wanted a Tech man at the helm. Fulcher, Rogers and Curry were all appointed under his leadership. He always said no one understands what it takes to succeed at Tech like a real Tech man. I think Ted would be the perfect Head Coach for Tech when Paul Johnson decides to step down.

Go Jackets!

If we fail to be good in 2015, agree TR would be good. Perhaps he could bring back Goose G to put in a pro passing offense. Here goose is doing well coaching up the Texans qb Tom Savage from Pittsburg . Baylor could be source of some talented offensive assistants who could take us in different direction.

Let's just win baby! THWG

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Godsey probably knows enough football to be a good head coach. He just needs some experience handling people under him I would expect. I'm not sure he has even been a coordinator yet. Am I right? Recruiting and managing are a huge part of the job. I would hope he would be great with the press and public in terms of communication.

AE 87

Helluva Engineer
I expect people who feel the need to take this thread and article as a reason to be negative about coach won't be fans of GT in five years. They're not real Tech men who know how to see incremental success and positive future in the works.

Just my opinion.
Go Jackets

Atomic Jacket

Banned
I think this is Coach Johnson's last rodeo. I think he has given us everything he has to give and he just can't seem to get us to that next level of success. I think he has too much personal pride to continue on w/o realizing significantly improved results. If that happens he might stay on for a while but another 7 win or less season and I think he turns things over to Ted Roof.

Just my opinion.

Go Jackets!

My guess is that Johnson did not do his due diligence when he came to Tech. He likely did not understand the vast, vast difference in quality of football player he would be able to recruit at GT and who our peers at Clemson, Georgia, Miami, and Virginia Tech are able to recruit. He probably understood there would be some limitations due to the academic requirements at Tech, but I doubt he understood the full magnitude. Guys, we've found ourselves competing with mid-majors and lower level divisions for football players! All thanks to the academic requirements imposed by the Hill and the lack of easy degrees.

But at this point, I think Johnson has fallen somewhat into a resignation that things are never going to get better at Tech, and he would like to be fired in order to collect a lucrative buyout, and then go coach somewhere where he can bring in quality football players. The program is a corpse on life-support. And it's just going to keep lurching along until the next coach breathes some life into it.

iceeater1969

Helluva Engineer
My guess is that Johnson did not do his due diligence when he came to Tech. He likely did not understand the vast, vast difference in quality of football player he would be able to recruit at GT and who our peers at Clemson, Georgia, Miami, and Virginia Tech are able to recruit. He probably understood there would be some limitations due to the academic requirements at Tech, but I doubt he understood the full magnitude. Guys, we've found ourselves competing with mid-majors and lower level divisions for football players! All thanks to the academic requirements imposed by the Hill and the lack of easy degrees.

But at this point, I think Johnson has fallen somewhat into a resignation that things are never going to get better at Tech, and he would like to be fired in order to collect a lucrative buyout, and then go coach somewhere where he can bring in quality football players. The program is a corpse on life-support. And it's just going to keep lurching along until the next coach breathes some life into it.

After he first arrived the AD cut recruiting - And assistant coaches had find time to handle recruiting. Coach may have under have underestimated the need for recruiting ( based onNavy's ready pool of recruits and his early success) at gt, but he should have insisted that they have recruiting support. He has addressed this and will soon address the player support system that needs to be augmented so we don't loose valuable talent from gt.

Atomic , I say give him full support into 2015 as it will be clear in the ND And FSU games if change is needed.

We have very good 2015 recruits " committed" and with good year most will sign going into 2015 with enthusiasm !

THWG

4shotB

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff
. The program is a corpse on life-support. And it's just going to keep lurching along until the next coach breathes some life into it.

imo, there are quite a few of us who think CPJ and CCG were/are good football coaches that have (more or less, no need to rehash again in this thread) accomplished at about the same level. The program has an apparently self-imposed ceiling that no amount of changing coaches will fix (unless you do luck into the next Vince Lombardi or Bear Bryant). Unfortunately there are those think that constantly churning coaches every 6-8 years in the search of "someone who can breathe life into" it is the answer. This is a lottery ticket approach to retirement planning.

At this point, I think the responsibility for "fixing" the program lies above the head coach. At minimum this is an AD issue and probably involves the president of the school. I am of the opinion that interest in GT football is waning because we tend to dabble in it and never try to fix the status quo. Not because we have hired bad coaches in our last two attempts.

In a nutshell, firing the coach (in the absence of a complete meltdown) is a bandaid fix to a bigger, systemic issue imo. Assuming another typical 7 win season or worse, firing Paul would be a bit of a safe move to make by our current AD - a bone to appease the rabble at the gate. Nothing more. (Disclaimer: not saying he would get fired at a 6 or 7 win season but another one, with losses to the usual teams would certainly make things "warmer").

One last thought - I used the word fixing 2 paragraphs up in quotations because we do have a certain % of our fanbase who are indeed content with the state of affairs and thus would argue that there is nothing to be fixed.

awbuzz

Helluva Manager
Staff member
As 4shotB notes, firing for basically the sake of hoping the next coach will be better us a form of insanity.
With the '14 class and what appears to be a real good '15 class shaping up, I expect the 2017 and 2018 seasons to be really good. Unfortunately that means there are questions regarding the next two or three seasons. With that, I expect Tech to still do well/okay, although next year will be very difficult considering the schedule we have.

TheSilasSonRising

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Dodd understood there was no one better to lead Georgia Tech than a Georgia Tech man. Even though he was a Tennessee guy he knew that he was damn lucky to be the third head coach at the Institute. He even acknowledged he would have a lot of problems passing classes at Tech and would probably ended up at Georgie if the Tennessee thing had not come through at the last minute. He came to understand the unique culture and tradition of Georgia Tech as an assistant coach under Coach Alexander for many years prior to taking the helm at Tech. Dodd wanted a Tech man at the helm. Fulcher, Rogers and Curry were all appointed under his leadership. He always said no one understands what it takes to succeed at Tech like a real Tech man. I think Ted would be the perfect Head Coach for Tech when Paul Johnson decides to step down.

Go Jackets!

If that were true, why was he, after retiring, on his way to hire Doug Dickey? The brilliant "Tech Men" in charge said we had to hire Carson because he had coached at GT. For God's sake, WE MADE THE DECISION TO HIRE CARSON OVER DICKEY (DODD'S CHOICE) AND WE HIRED CURRY OVER OVER STEVE SPURRIER,

What is it that some people don't understand?

Longestday

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Don't you get it... GT was 1 hire away from a much better 2011 and 2012. Arrgggg .....Groh #!&%#!....

2014 was on the false start penalties, passing interceptions, and getting away from what we know best. Don't say passing helped in the Georgia game and we should have don it all year. 11 of 23 with 2TD/2INT is not helping. There was a bright spot in the 1st half in passing, but the whole game tells the whole story.