Marietta Daily Journal: GT's Paul Johnson kicks season off with positive message

CuseJacket

Administrator
Staff member

Atomic Jacket

Banned
EM6D_Football_Luncheon24.jpg

Johnson doesn't really seem himself... Has Johnson been trying some new nutritional supplements?

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
I think this is Coach Johnson's last rodeo. I think he has given us everything he has to give and he just can't seem to get us to that next level of success. I think he has too much personal pride to continue on w/o realizing significantly improved results. If that happens he might stay on for a while but another 7 win or less season and I think he turns things over to Ted Roof.

Just my opinion.

Go Jackets!

I think this is Coach Johnson's last rodeo. I think he has given us everything he has to give and he just can't seem to get us to that next level of success. I think he has too much personal pride to continue on w/o realizing significantly improved results. If that happens he might stay on for a while but another 7 win or less season and I think he turns things over to Ted Roof.

Just my opinion.

Go Jackets!

That makes sense. I agree. He doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that could continue to lose every year to Georgia, Va. Tech, Miami, and Clemson. It has to be hard on him because I really think he has always been an intense competitor. He is probably second guessing his decision to leave Navy as much as some Tech people are second-guessing his hire here. But I don't look forward to Roof as head coach if it comes to that.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Wow. 36 years of coaching.

For no particular reason here are the things that pop into my head about that.

He is close to the same age as Mark Richt as well as David Cutcliffe and close to the age that Bobby Dodd was when he retired.

He is way older than Dabo Swinney but way younger than Steve Spurrier who is the same age that Bear Bryant was when he retired.

And he is probably a better golfer than any of them.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
That makes sense. I agree. He doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that could continue to lose every year to Georgia, Va. Tech, Miami, and Clemson. It has to be hard on him because I really think he has always been an intense competitor. He is probably second guessing his decision to leave Navy as much as some Tech people are second-guessing his hire here. But I don't look forward to Roof as head coach if it comes to that.
Yes, I like Roof as a defensive coach. He has not shown himself to be a good head coach. But when Tech goes 11-1 in 2015 we will not have to worry about a coaching change.

Just my opinion.

Go Jackets!
I love Ted Roof, but NOT as a head coach.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Hey supersize....how many great Duke coaches have you seen lately? Cutliff is very good IMO but he is getting far more support from the university than Roof ever even dreamed of. I'd definitely give Roof a shot at the HC job. Who would be your pick? I'm truly interested.

Hey supersize....how many great Duke coaches have you seen lately? Cutliff is very good IMO but he is getting far more support from the university than Roof ever even dreamed of. I'd definitely give Roof a shot at the HC job. Who would be your pick? I'm truly interested.
I am not picking anybody. I don't have enough knowledge to do so. Besides, as long as Johnson is HC, it's a moot point. Like I said, I love Roof, but I just don't feel he would be the best HC for Tech. Now if he has learned to do it like GOL finally did, and like Dabo does at Clemson, where he hires (and trusts) GOOD assistants, then it might be a different story.

swampsting

Helluva Engineer
The Marietta Daily Journal - Georgia Tech s Paul Johnson kicks season off with positive message

“In my reflection on 36 years (of coaching), is I don’t know that we enjoy the opportunities we have as much as we should,” he said.

“I heard a long time ago a coach saying and it’s probably true, ‘you’re getting old on a recruiting trip when the grandmas look good, so you know you’ve been in it maybe a little bit too long.’”

That quote came from Erk.
PJ has talked a lot this summer about how many years and fall camps he's been through. Wonder if he wants to coach a couple of more years and then go see his daughter perform at La Scala or the Met when he can.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
I am not picking anybody. I don't have enough knowledge to do so. Besides, as long as Johnson is HC, it's a moot point. Like I said, I love Roof, but I just don't feel he would be the best HC for Tech. Now if he has learned to do it like GOL finally did, and like Dabo does at Clemson, where he hires (and trusts) GOOD assistants, then it might be a different story.
Well Pelton seems a good indicator of your desire. You will never know if he can do as you wish if isn't given the chance to show it. It's awful easy to shoot a candidate down. It's hard for me to take a shoot down seriously if one can't put forward a better candidate.

Well Pelton seems a good indicator of your desire. You will never know if he can do as you wish if isn't given the chance to show it. It's awful easy to shoot a candidate down. It's hard for me to take a shoot down seriously if one can't put forward a better candidate.
I'm not in a position to forward a better candidate any more than you are in a position to name one to begin with. You stated your opinion; I stated mine.

Jerry the Jacket

Helluva Engineer
Bobby Dodd understood there was no one better to lead Georgia Tech than a Georgia Tech man. Even though he was a Tennessee guy he knew that he was damn lucky to be the third head coach at the Institute. He even acknowledged he would have a lot of problems passing classes at Tech and would probably ended up at Georgie if the Tennessee thing had not come through at the last minute. He came to understand the unique culture and tradition of Georgia Tech as an assistant coach under Coach Alexander for many years prior to taking the helm at Tech. Dodd wanted a Tech man at the helm. Fulcher, Rogers and Curry were all appointed under his leadership. He always said no one understands what it takes to succeed at Tech like a real Tech man. I think Ted would be the perfect Head Coach for Tech when Paul Johnson decides to step down.

Go Jackets!

Bobby Dodd understood there was no one better to lead Georgia Tech than a Georgia Tech man. Even though he was a Tennessee guy he knew that he was damn lucky to be the third head coach at the Institute. He even acknowledged he would have a lot of problems passing classes at Tech and would probably ended up at Georgie if the Tennessee thing had not come through at the last minute. He came to understand the unique culture and tradition of Georgia Tech as an assistant coach under Coach Alexander for many years prior to taking the helm at Tech. Dodd wanted a Tech man at the helm. Fulcher, Rogers and Curry were all appointed under his leadership. He always said no one understands what it takes to succeed at Tech like a real Tech man. I think Ted would be the perfect Head Coach for Tech when Paul Johnson decides to step down.

Go Jackets!
Didn't Homer Rice hire Curry after Dodd had retired? I know they both started at Tech in 1980. Dodd loved Fulcher, but I seem to remember that he didn't really like Rogers all that much. The one Dodd always wanted but couldn't get was Frank Broyles; Browles turned him down on two different occasions.

Northeast Stinger

Helluva Engineer
Didn't Homer Rice hire Curry after Dodd had retired? I know they both started at Tech in 1980. Dodd loved Fulcher, but I seem to remember that he didn't really like Rogers all that much. The one Dodd always wanted but couldn't get was Frank Broyles; Browles turned him down on two different occasions.
Yes, I used to buy into that "needs to be a Tech man" line but then it occurred to me that this was more a theory than a fact. If you look at Tech's five best coaches, four of them were not Tech men. I also used to think that anyone who was President of Tech should be a Tech man but that just doesn't seem to happen in reality either. Heck, one of Tech's Presidents was a bulldog.

No I think you need someone who appreciates discipline and educational excellence. CPJ coming from Navy is not a bad transition for that.