Marcus Marshall Transferring

B Lifsey

Helluva Engineer
Here’s 2 scenarios for you.

Scenario 2)
There’s a giant spaceship, let’s call it The Death Star, that needs to be destroyed. You have 2 pilots that are really good. One older than the other and both probably capable of destroying it but you need one to run point and destroy it and the other to provide backup and help fight off the enemy. Let’s call these 2 Luke Skywalker and Han Solo. You believe Luke, although less experienced, is better suited for running point but you’re afraid Han may get mad and quit and not provide backup for Luke if you pick Luke. Who do you let destroy The Death Star?

This is not a fair comparison...there are not other Rebel Alliances Han could transfer to.

collegeballfan

Helluva Engineer
Does anyone know where he plans to transfer?
We should know in a few days if he has been planning this for a couple of months. Does he want to sit out? The answer to that
question determines where he goes.

Funny thing. Over the 120 years or so of college football we have decided that the coaching staff would decide who starts and who substitutes.
I suppose GT could be the leader and starting with their next coach let the fans pick the starting 22. Voting could be on line and start Sunday
afternoon and have the starters for the next game known by Sunday 6:00 PM. (Would it be anyone voting or would you limit it to grads only
or just season ticket holders?) This way the players could announce Sunday AM if they were unhappy and threatened to transfer unless voted into the starting
lineup. The voters could take that into account when they vote. This would probably put a stop to transfers and the fans would be happy.

And think of all the money GT could save on coaching staffs!

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
We should know in a few days if he has been planning this for a couple of months. Does he want to sit out? The answer to that

Funny thing. Over the 120 years or so of college football we have decided that the coaching staff would decide who starts and who substitutes.
I suppose GT could be the leader and starting with their next coach let the fans pick the starting 22. Voting could be on line and start Sunday
afternoon and have the starters for the next game known by Sunday 6:00 PM. (Would it be anyone voting or would you limit it to grads only
or just season ticket holders?) This way the players could announce Sunday AM if they were unhappy and threatened to transfer unless voted into the starting
lineup. The voters could take that into account when they vote. This would probably put a stop to transfers and the fans would be happy.

That's a great idea! Each week the backup QB from the week before would get to start!

Animal02

Banned

Alumni choose the starters.....sidewalk fans choose the first 4 plays.....season ticket holders choose the unis.:whistle:

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Alumni choose the starters.....sidewalk fans choose the first 4 plays.....season ticket holders choose the unis.:whistle:
We're going to Charlotte somewhere with 3 bathrooms!
synjyncharlotte.jpg

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
We have a better chance of competing and beating teams that have more talent when we grind out 8 and 9-minute drives. All we need are guys who play hard for each other and don't make mistakes on the offensive side of the ball. If we get in a shoot out I believe we have a less chance of walking away with a "W". See Miami game 2014. That was a textbook PJ game.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer

Lol I love this idea!!!

96Jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Bottom line that he's gone and it's not the coaches' fault...he just didn't think it was a good fit anymore. Thank him for his time and wish him good luck. Time to move on.
+1

Yeah, it stinks he's leaving because he wants more touches or to not have to block as much, but to Marshall's credit he's handled himself like a pro and not caused any discord within the team. Watching him against Georgia, he certainly wasn't running like a kid with one foot out the door. I wish him all the best.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
Blaming the coaches for this is ridiculous. One, we don't even really know why he's transferring, but let's just assume it's because he got beat out...

If that's the case, the coaches determined DM gave us a better chance to win. Good, I'll let the guys who are paid to coach make that decision rather than the fans.

Funny how nobody ever mention this argument when it come to Roof. It's only ever Johnson that gets the shield of "getting paid to do it".

Anyways, this is the third year in a row that the game 1 starter at Bback was not the game 12 starter at bback, and has not been the leading rusher from the position, either in total yards or ypc.

Here is the plain and simple truth. We had a back lead our team in rushing as a true freshman and true sophomore, despite not being the starter. He was a proven home run threat, and had good size to match. He obviously attempted to improve in the offseason in both blocking and getting the tough yards. He never was a problem off the field, and despite almost certainly knowing he was going to transfer before the game, THIS was his last run as a GT player. Marcus Marshall is exactly the kind of player we need at BBack.

He is now transferring, and the worst part is that he is completely justified in doing so. Dude was underutilized and underappreciated by both fans and coaches.

Remember. Skov started over Marshall. That tells me all I need to know about the staff's judgement when it comes to bbacks.

tech_wreck47

Helluva Engineer
Funny how nobody ever mention this argument when it come to Roof. It's only ever Johnson that gets the shield of "getting paid to do it".

Anyways, this is the third year in a row that the game 1 starter at Bback was not the game 12 starter at bback, and has not been the leading rusher from the position, either in total yards or ypc.

Here is the plain and simple truth. We had a back lead our team in rushing as a true freshman and true sophomore, despite not being the starter. He was a proven home run threat, and had good size to match. He obviously attempted to improve in the offseason in both blocking and getting the tough yards. He never was a problem off the field, and despite almost certainly knowing he was going to transfer before the game, THIS was his last run as a GT player. Marcus Marshall is exactly the kind of player we need at BBack.

He is now transferring, and the worst part is that he is completely justified in doing so. Dude was underutilized and underappreciated by both fans and coaches.

Remember. Skov started over Marshall. That tells me all I need to know about the staff's judgement when it comes to bbacks.
People have questioned who CPJ has started just like people have questioned who roof has started, so I don't get your first statement. Also the only time people have questioned either coach (that I have seen) is when another player comes in and does very good but then they go missing for games or don't get the start.

Eastman

Helluva Engineer
Remember. Skov started over Marshall. That tells me all I need to know about the staff's judgement when it comes to bbacks.[/QUOTE]

Coaches watch the players practice day after day and they get to know the players personally. CPJ had to evaluate the performance of a handful of bbacks, during numerous practices and also factor in numerous other components such as their maturity, knowledge of plays, propensity to fumble etc. He started Skov vs MM as a freshman without having the hindsight that you use for his criticism. If all you need to know in order to criticize is "Skov started over Marshall" then might it be that your criticism is too simplistic and may be wrong? Along with you I HATE that he is leaving and also feel that he is a special talent, but would suggest that you wouldn't want to have an outsider criticize your decisions based on a similar level of knowledge. There is many more aspects to this than we know.

dressedcheeseside

Helluva Engineer

MM had every chance to win the starting spot and failed to do so. He was the incumbent which gave him an advantage. He knew the offense which gave him an advantage. He was a year older and acclimated to college which gave him an adantage. And yet he lost the position battle still. Do you think CPJ wants to lose or is incapable of picking the better man for the job he invented?

Go cry me a river.

Madison Grant

Helluva Engineer
Everyone loves to see talent like MM breaking lose on a long run. In the meantime, our offense as a whole has been subpar the last two seasons (statistics uphold this). Wonder if the failure of selfish players to block or carry out fakes when they weren't breaking ooh and ahh runs once every couple games might have had something to do with us getting hit in the backfield for all those 4 or 5 yard losses that weren't happening a couple years ago.

lv20gt

Helluva Engineer
MM had every chance to win the starting spot and failed to do so. He was the incumbent which gave him an advantage. He knew the offense which gave him an advantage. He was a year older and acclimated to college which gave him an adantage. And yet he lost the position battle still. Do you think CPJ wants to lose or is incapable of picking the better man for the job he invented?

The last 3 starting bbacks have lost the job by the end of the year and have all been out produced by the backups. So yeah, maybe Johnson does have a hard time finding the right guy the first time.

Everyone loves to see talent like MM breaking lose on a long run. In the meantime, our offense as a whole has been subpar the last two seasons (statistics uphold this). Wonder if the failure of selfish players to block or carry out fakes when they weren't breaking ooh and ahh runs once every couple games might have had something to do with us getting hit in the backfield for all those 4 or 5 yard losses that weren't happening a couple years ago.

I dunno, if I would call any player selfish it would be the one who couldn't handle his stuff off the field and cost his team by getting suspended for a quarter of the year. I would hardly use that word to describe a person who ran as hard as Marshall did despite knowing he was on his way out. Of course the idea that the 4-5 yard losses is due to bbacks not carrying out fakes is absurd to begin with so it really doesn't matter.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
We would be a much stronger team with MM still on it. Let that be said emphatically. However, if forced to choose between the two, based solely on what goes on between the lines, I would pick DM seven days a week and twice on Sunday. In fact, I almost can't believe my eyes with some of the stuff I am reading. MM has made some great runs and long gainers for sure. Play after play after play, however, DM gives you more bang for the buck. He runs harder and lower and blocks better. He is great in the trash and does a good job finding the weak areas to skip through. He is better in the open field than many of you are giving him credit for and he appreciates the value of north and south. I love MM's stats. He can do a lot with open grass. However, what a runner does with open grass isn't the most important measure of his value. On DM's last TD run, if that were MM, to be truthful, I don't think he would have scored there. DM will be the better pro prospect. DM has the brighter future (if he can straighten things out off the field). What I see in Mills is what we have always hoped to have, one of those elite backs who can carry a team. He was a true frosh this year for crying out loud. MM is a great complement to a guy like Mills and he has his own set of impressive abilities, but .......

I really like MM and I wish him nothing but the best. I don't understand what he is doing, but I don't have to either. He is a really good player who will make whatever program he is headed to better. He has great feet and great balance and some serious speed.

Milwaukee

Banned
The coaches botched this, you can tell yourselves whatever you need to. Our staff is great, but they make mistakes just like we all do. Unless there's something I'm missing about him being a cancer in the locker room or something then this is bad management. Everyone keeps saying Mills took the job from MM, and MM had every chance to win the job and couldn't. WHAT GAMES HAVE YOU GUYS BEEN WATCHING? MM has been a STUD. All you "stat boys" out there, do me a favor and look up ypc, fumbles, etc.

Mills has been suspended, what, twice...and when MM was in he didn't show any hint of a drop off. He was actually an improvement.

And I absolutely LOVE Mills, so I hate even having to have this conversation. Mills is a beast in his own right and I hope he can get his mind right and stay on the field. I can't wait to watch him going forward.

But we can wave bye bye to those long home runs where the b-back pulls away from cornerbacks a la Dwyer and MM. This offense is more dangerous with a homerun threat than a bruiser.

Damnit now I'm pissed again.

Where's the Tylenol?

Body Massage Machine

Georgia Tech Fan
Sucks to lose Marshall, but he was probably gone regardless of the situation. There was a lot of family stuff at play here. The staff did not botch anything, and I am glad for them playing the best player. Wish he could stay, but we will find a way to win without him. Wish him luck.