Marcus Georges-Hunt Signs w/Celtics

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I don't mean to be dtm downer here, but who is MGH beating out here to make a 15-man roster? His best shots are Gerald Green (still uber athletic), Jonas Jerebko, Jordan Mickey, & James Young (former 1st rder). It's not impossible, but gotta be considered highly unlikely, even with expectations for high work ethic from MGH.

http://www.nba.com/celtics/roster/

Still, I'm glad he's getting a shot.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Anyone catch MGH during Summer League? I wonder how he looks surrounded by better players.

I've always thought, until his last season when CBH put the ball in hands, that MGH was kind of a "go with the flow" type player. Has the ability to take over games if he wanted to (as we saw in the second half of the season), but his personality is that of someone who's Robin to someone's Batman.

To answer DTM's question: Jaylen Brown. MGH is going to embarass Jaylen in camp to the point the Celtics are going to trade JB. MGH does not take kindly to ex-GT recruits spurning Ma Tech.

99jacket

Jolly Good Fellow
I don't mean to be dtm downer here, but who is MGH beating out here to make a 15-man roster? His best shots are Gerald Green (still uber athletic), Jonas Jerebko, Jordan Mickey, & James Young (former 1st rder). It's not impossible, but gotta be considered highly unlikely, even with expectations for high work ethic from MGH.

I think that's fair DTM. I think MGH may be hoping that the high profile nature of the Celtics may be a spring board to an opportunity on another team.

dtm1997

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I think that's fair DTM. I think MGH may be hoping that the high profile nature of the Celtics may be a spring board to an opportunity on another team.

Maybe, but I wonder if there are other teams with a little bit less talent that are more makeable. MGH could've probably already signed a nice deal overseas, but I understand going after the NBA dream. Just think he chose a really difficult path to actually latch on.

orientalnc

Helluva Engineer
Retired Staff

I'm not saying he is a lock by any measure, but those guys are beatable. Green was basically let go by the Heat, Mickey was a disappointment last year (but his contract has 3 more years), Jerebko has one year left on his contract. If the Celtics like MGH, Mickey and Jerebko would be easy to trade for draft picks and Green may be done if he fails to make the roster this year. Young has to be seen as a problem for the Celtics. He has not produced like a 1st round pick is expected to.

Connell62

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Latest on Marcus.. Good read from the Celtics blog regarding his situation:

D-League Assignments

The Celtics are fortunate to be one of the 22 NBA teams that have their own D-League franchise. They’ve made great use of the Maine Red Claws in the past by providing game action for young players who aren’t seeing time in the NBA. By having a franchise that is also close by, the Celtics are able to shuttle players back and forth throughout the season. This allows those players to practice with the Celtics while also playing in D-League games to get valuable on court experience.

NBA teams can assign players on their roster to the D-League who have zero to two years of experience. They can also assign players with three or more years of experience if the player agrees. Currently the Celtics eligible for a D-League assignment without agreement are: Jaylen Brown, R.J. Hunter, Demetrius Jackson, Jordan Mickey, Terry Rozier, Marcus Smart and James Young. Of that group, you can expect to see Jackson and Mickey in the D-League, as well as whoever is kept from Hunter and Young. Those players need reps, and Maine is the best place to get them.

You might notice that Ben Bentil, Marcus Georges-Hunt, Jalen Jones and Damion Lee weren’t included in the above group. As rookies, they are all eligible to be assigned to the D-League. But as likely roster cuts, the process works differently for them.

Each NBA team is allowed four Affiliate Players. An Affiliate Player is a player who attended training camp with an NBA team and was subsequently cut. This is where Bentil, Georges-Hunt, Jones and Lee are likely to find themselves. Should each of them choose to sign with the D-League (players sign a contract with the D-league itself and not individual teams), they are eligible to be assigned to Maine as Affiliate Players.

Given that D-League salaries are still quite low in comparison to what players can make overseas, many NBA teams have started giving out guaranteed amounts for attending camp to likely Affiliate Players. Boston gave Georges-Hunt and Jones $25k each, Lee $50k and Bentil a large guarantee of $250k. For Georges-Hunt, Jones and Lee, this could be a bonus to have attended camp with the Celtics and then to get them to Maine. For Bentil, that large of a guaranteed amount is almost a lock that Boston intends to have him in Maine. It is likely that the conversation started with the Celtics liking Bentil as a prospect but understanding the lack of roster spots this year. Thus, the Celtics gave Bentil some incentive to stay close by in Maine and in their system, despite not actually being a part of the NBA club.

The challenge with the D-League is that any player on a D-League team (outside of those assigned directly from the NBA club) is a free agent in terms of the NBA. This means that the Celtics could be making a hefty investment in these four players (including the guaranteed amounts for each that hit the Boston salary cap) and could end up losing the players to another NBA team at any time. This is a risk that teams take to try and keep talented players in their system. For a team like Boston, this is a byproduct of having a deep roster and so many draft picks over the last few years.

It is important to note that this process does not apply to Abdel Nader, who Boston drafted in the second round and then watched flourish at Summer League. Nader is reportedly signing a contract with the D-League, and Boston will look to acquire his D-League rights to have him play in Maine. His Draft Rights are retained by the Celtics for as long as he plays professional basketball outside the NBA. He can’t sign with anyone but Boston, unless the Celtics renounce his rights or sign him to an NBA contract and later release him. This sort of complicated situation with the D-League is something that the NBA and NBPA would like to solve. Progress has been made on D-League reform and two-way contracts (where players are paid one amount while in the NBA and another while in the D-League), but we’ll have to wait for the new CBA to know for sure.

matthewevers

Georgia Tech Fan
http://fansided.com/stats/nba-d-league-faq/

D-LEAGUE ROSTER FORMATION

How many players are on a D-League roster?

There can be up to 12 players on a roster. There can be only 10 active players with two inactive players. With NBA assignees there, a team may dress a maximum of 12 players for any given game.

Is there a minimum roster size during the season?

Teams must maintain a roster size of 10 during the regular and playoff season. This can change with the assignment process. As a result, no team may dress less than 8 players or more than 12 given certain assignment/call-up circumstances.

Do NBA assignment players count towards the D-League roster total?

No, teams can have more than 12 players on their roster for a given game if there are NBA assignment players included. Also, they can dress up to 12 players for a game if NBA assignees are with the team.

What happens when an NBA team without a D-League affiliate wants to place a player on assignment?

Those teams will be subject to the flex assignment system. An explanation of that is below.

Flex Assignment System: Upon receipt of an assignment from an independent NBA team, the NBA D-League will identify any NBA D-League team willing to accept the assigned player. The assigning independent NBA team will then choose the destination for assignment between those teams. If no NBA D-League team is willing to accept the assigned player, he will be assigned to one of the hybrid affiliate teams pursuant to a lottery.

Is there a limit on how many NBA players each team can have assigned?

Yes. Each team can only have three (3) NBA players assigned at one time.

Disclaimer: If there are flex assignment players involved, then a team can theoretically have more than three assignees at once. The limit of three is for their own affiliate.

Can free agents sign with any D-League team of their choosing?

No. Players sign contracts with the league and enter a player pool. The teams can then claim players dependent on their waiver order. The waiver period is 48 hours and once that has passed and a player is unclaimed then they enter the “available player pool” and any team can acquire them regardless of waiver priority.

What is an “assignment” player?

A player put on assignment is a player on an NBA roster who is being sent to the D-League to get some playing time. The NBA club still holds their exclusive rights and only they can recall said player. Assignment players must have three (3) years of NBA experience or less and can be assigned an unlimited number of times.

*Players with 4 or more years of experience can also be assigned to the D-League however they must give their NBA team consent for the assignment.

Does an “assignment” player still count against the 15-man NBA roster?

Yes. Sending a player to the D-League on assignment does not free up a roster spot for the NBA club who assigned him.

What is a “draft rights” player?

If an NBA teams still holds the draft rights to a particular player and they join the D-League, then they are automatically allocated to that NBA team’s affiliate. A draft rights player may only earn an NBA call up from their parent club, so they are in essence a protected player.

What is an “affiliate” player?

At the end of NBA training camps, NBA teams can allocate up to four players to their D-League affiliate team (if they have one). These players can still be called up by any other NBA team once they are in the D-League.

What is an “in-season affiliate” player?

If an NBA team waives a player after the season has started they have the option of allocating that player to their D-League affiliate as an in-season affiliate player. They can only do this if they did not have the maximum four (4) affiliates at the beginning of the season. Only players who were in training camp are eligible. For example, the Philadelphia 76ers waived Christian Wood and allocated him as an in-season affiliate player this season.

gtpi

Helluva Engineer
one of my favorite players all time. just a consummate team player which is one of my top priorities.

i hope he makes the league. i am thrilled that he is doing well.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
http://stats.nbadleague.com/team/#!/1612709915/players/

Man, MGH is one of those players that's probably good enough to play on any level, but because of his playing personality (unselfishness, reluctance of being "the guy", understated game) he may be overlooked. Can't tell me a guy who can hold his own offensively, is a plus defender, and a team player willing to do dirty work who can add 8-15 points a night isn't valuable in the NBA.

His NBDL career is eerily similar to his GT career. Flashes of his potential, but also spurts where he's willing to defer to his teammates.

GTJason

Helluva Engineer
MGH Triple double:

And then 21 points last night:

He's clearly better than his competition, i just fear he's a tweener. Too good for D-League, not good enough for the NBA. If he keeps up these numbers someone will sign him

JacketFromUGA

Helluva Engineer
Whats the point of the D-League?

Honest question we have all these 1 and done stars in college that go to the NBA. NBA rosters aren't that big to really need a true farm system like baseball. How many D-Leaguers actually move up?

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Whats the point of the D-League?

Honest question we have all these 1 and done stars in college that go to the NBA. NBA rosters aren't that big to really need a true farm system like baseball. How many D-Leaguers actually move up?

Some interesting reading:

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...e-growth-30-teams-within-five-years/75665740/

https://www.axs.com/is-the-nba-d-league-serving-its-purpose-25169

“When scouts come in and watch, they’re looking for guys who can come in and be role players,” D-League veteran Anthony Harris said. “That guy usually scoring 30-40 points a game, that’s not the guy they’re really looking at,” Harris said. “They have that guy already. They need a guy who can be a good practice player.”

Not sure how accurate that statement is, as I'm sure NBA teams would beat each other up to grab a guy who's a guaranteed 20+ pt scorer a night, but I do think having a guy push practice and can add valuable minutes to spell the top line guys is valuable. NBA season is LONG, and even longer if a team makes the playoffs. That's how a guy like Mario West makes the NBA. Certainly, MGH would be valuable, but it's all about opportunity and timing.