Marcus Allen (Not One of Those Bad Name Only Threads)

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
I know everyone's screaming for Marshall but why is Marcus Allen not playing more? On the year he has 8 carries for 62 yards. He's averaging almost 8 yards a carry but hasn't gotten more than 3 carries in a game. Body language shows a lot and every time he's in he seems to hit the right hole and run like he wants to be the guy. It seems like every time he's in he takes a dive for 6-7 yards only to be pulled the next play for a Skov dive for 2.

RamblinCharger

Helluva Engineer
I know everyone's screaming for Marshall but why is Marcus Allen not playing more? On the year he has 8 carries for 62 yards. He's averaging almost 8 yards a carry but hasn't gotten more than 3 carries in a game. Body language shows a lot and every time he's in he seems to hit the right hole and run like he wants to be the guy. It seems like every time he's in he takes a dive for 6-7 yards only to be pulled the next play for a Skov dive for 2.
Paul is probably the only person that can answer that. If I had to guess, I would say that Skov is probably a better blocker, and takes care of the football in practice better than the other guys. I appreciate Skov and I wouldn't mind if he was our "3rd down" back, but I would love to see Allen and Marshall get more carries.

Tech93

Helluva Engineer
Been saying for 2 weeks that MA needs more carries...he has much better down field vision. See a number of coaching calls this year on personnel and play calling that have me wondering.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
CPJ is human like anyone else and has favorites. Laskey's punt return fumble vs. Air Force was huge, but CPJ never held it against him like he did Days. IMO the misuse of Days was criminal.

TampaGT

Helluva Engineer
Same story for him as it is with the team.......he is hurt. It appears as if it is an ankle, guessing here but wonder if it is a high ankle sprain. I know those take a long time to get healthy.

Boomergump

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Well, Marcus was basically carried off the field at Duke with an ankle. He has been favoring it since it was rolled up on in the first week. I would be willing to bet he barely practiced last week. It is hard to make a guy a starter under those conditions. I agree he has run the ball well and found the creases with some consistency. If healthy, I am sure he will give Patrick a run for his money this week.

stingyoa$$

Jolly Good Fellow
CPJ is human like anyone else and has favorites. Laskey's punt return fumble vs. Air Force was huge, but CPJ never held it against him like he did Days. IMO the misuse of Days was criminal.

According to the stats of 2011, it appears after the fumble against Miami, Laskey never played another game his freshman year. That was a waste IMO. He would be a RS senior this year and it would be one less issue this for the offense. That's criminal IMO. IIRC, Days couldn't hold onto the ball to save his a$$ his whole career. I guess you could think that PJ didn't hold it against him but the facts would appear otherwise. Just saying.

Wrecking Ball

Ramblin' Wreck
According to the stats of 2011, it appears after the fumble against Miami, Laskey never played another game his freshman year. That was a waste IMO. He would be a RS senior this year and it would be one less issue this for the offense. That's criminal IMO. IIRC, Days couldn't hold onto the ball to save his a$$ his whole career. I guess you could think that PJ didn't hold it against him but the facts would appear otherwise. Just saying.

From what I recall, I mean for years. Zach may have taken a seat for half a season, but Synjyn sat for half a decade. @Northeast Stinger I did not attend practices if they were open back then but I never saw anything in Days that wasn't better than Sims. He actually did well enough in relief of Tevin in 2011 that Vad was upset and thought Synjyn was "Perfect."

Techster

Helluva Engineer
Marcus Allen is the happy medium between Marcus Marshall and Patrick Skov. Marshall is probably the best pure runner of all our ABs and BBs, and Skov is probably the most physically imposing RB we have in both groups. Unfortunately, not even at GT can we engineer a RB that combines MM's pure running ability and Skov's physicality.

Enter Marcus Allen...the closest thing GT will get to having the best of both worlds. He's a little more physical than MM, and his vision through the hole is better than Skov's. Every time he gets a carry, it seems he gets pretty good yardage. Through no fault of his own, he just can't stay healthy, and he may have rushed back too soon against UNC and aggravated his leg injury from the Duke game. If you question his toughness, you're an idiot...the guy tried to play a physical game on a bad wheel, and he probably set himself back another week (if we're lucky). If completely healthy, he may actually be our best overall BB with the ball in his hands.

bke1984

Helluva Engineer
I think Allen is just banged up.

Just begs the question though...where is Marshall? I understand he lost a couple fumbles, but good grief, the guy is the most explosive back we've got and he didn't have a single carry on Saturday (I don't even think he played a snap).

Anyone know his snap count in the past three games? Seems like he played maybe one series against ND and one against Duke, but I honestly don't recall.

It's a bit odd that we're hearing from CPJ that Skov is not making the cuts he needs to at the second level when we've got a guy where doing just that is his strength.