Marcus Allen is "a program guy"

DH9387

Jolly Good Fellow
http://georgiatech.blog.ajc.com/201...-meant-by-calling-marcus-allen-a-program-guy/
Allen was a notable member of the 2012 signing class, having chosen Tech over Florida State, Nebraska, Miami and others. He was compared to former Tech B-back Anthony Allen on signing day in February 2012. Part of Tech’s appeal was that the Yellow Jackets were interested in him as a running back, while others saw him as a linebacker. Allen had other reasons, as well.

“It was just the best combination of a great school and a great athletic program,” Allen said.

Allen played only two years of high-school football, having concentrated more on basketball. That lack of experience may have factored in his inability to earn playing time. Low on the B-back depth chart behind the likes of David Sims and Zach Laskey, Allen moved to linebacker and then to wide receiver, where the scenery didn’t change much. Transferring was not much of an option, though.

“No, not really,” he said. “I really liked where I was at Georgia Tech and I knew coming in that I didn’t have a lot of football knowledge, being that I only played two years in high school, so I knew there would be a large learning curve where I went, so I didn’t think transferring would help my situation, so I stuck it out, and it worked out for me.”
That attitude made him a favorite of coach Paul Johnson.

“Marcus, he’s been a program guy,” Johnson said Tuesday, in perhaps his most animated response of a brief media session upon the team’s arrival at its hotel. “I tell you, he’s been a great kid. He’s played four or five positions and done, and anything we’ve asked him to do, he’s done.”
The outlook is promising. Allen graduated earlier this month with a degree in industrial and systems engineering, no small achievement. Tech’s industrial engineering program is ranked first nationally by U.S. News & World Report. According to the department website (which cites figures self-reported by students), the median starting salary for IE graduates is $68,000. Consulting is a common career path for graduates.
I have a whole new respect for Marcus Allen. Even if his career wasn't what he, or a lot of us, were hoping for, he used the system instead of letting it use him. Thank you for your time here Marcus and congratulations on getting out. I know that the work ethic and dedication you displayed at Tech will take you far in your life and career.

ramblinjacket

Ramblin' Wreck
Great story. Sounds like a very sensible young man.

I love it when the paper has articles like this. I far prefer feel good articles to ones that are always looking for a dig or a gotcha somewhere in them.

YJMD

Helluva Engineer
Good read. I was high on him last season. Too bad he couldn't stay healthy. He deserved the opportunity. Good luck to him in the future.

Whiskey_Clear

Banned
Player focused articles are almost always good....I'll give them that. The gotcha articles are usually CPJ presser quotes or post game articles.

Techster

Helluva Engineer
His Bio has him as a Chem & Biomolecular major. Interesting that he switched over to IE....of course, he switched over to a major at GT that's the #1 program in the nation. Pretty cool.

Really wish he could have stayed healthy. CPJ said last season he was our best BB, he just couldn't stay on the field. Speaks a lot to his character that he pushed through his football career and took advantage of the academics at GT all the while never complaining about playing time.

Wish him well with his future endeavors. Something tells me he's going to do well with whatever he decides to do in life.