Marco Coleman

Kcsunshine

Georgia Tech Fan
This past Saturday was such a great day for me. Got to have an all day tailgate and also got to see the Jackets get the huge win vs. the Canes!! That said, the BEST part of my day was getting to meet former GT All American Marco Coleman.! It was a random encounter. I was looking at some GT apparel outside the north end zone at the tailgaters alley about 3 hours before kickoff . I had a GT jacket I was looking at, but the size was 3x and I mentioned to a friend it was perfect except it was too big. I heard someone beside me say "Hey I will take it". I looked over at the guy and my jaw dropped when I realized it was Marco Coleman. I smiled and asked him if he was Marco Coleman(even though I KNEW it was him-lol). He was such a nice guy. He still looked like he could still suite up and play. I told him we needed him tonight!! Lol. He was nice enough to take his picture with. me. I have fond memories of that 90 team. I also remember Marco was pretty much unblockable. I was in Orlando when we won't it all vs. the Cornhuskers ! Go Jackets!!
I was curious if any other Swarm members have any good stories to tell regarding meeting former GT players and coaches? This sure was a special day for me. Now if only I can meet Eddie Lee Ivery, who was my childhood hero! Lol
image.jpg

Aanderson1839

Georgia Tech Fan
I sat next to Marco at a GT vs. UNC basketball game at the Omni many years ago. Saw him at the Thriller dome the next year and he made sure to say Hi again. Another great representative for GT.

bartoma

Jolly Good Fellow
I was out of GT a couple of years, living in Northern Virginia that year... For some reason, I had a premonition about that team... I drove two weekends in a row to Atlanta for the Clemson and South Carolina games... Also went to UNC, UVA, and Maryland games... Remember mo' betta Coleman raping Scott Zolak in that game... Best of all of it was watching Nebraska get destroyed in the Citrus Bowl... BEST. SEASON. EVER.

GTJake

Helluva Engineer
Years ago Matt Kuchers parents sat further down our row in the lower west, he was around every once in a while, never saw him when he wasn't smiling.
Also, met Lil Joe a time or two at BDS.

Bruce Wayne

Helluva Engineer
Wanted a thread to post it in so guess I will use this one.

I had a nice chat with Tevin Washington after the game (there are always a ton of former players and also kids being recruited that hang out at the players entrance after the game). After such a big win I just wanted to congratulate the coaches or some players while the adrenaline still pumped before heading home. Saw Tevin so had to talk to him.

I told him that the last and only time I had a chat with him after a game was when he took down Clemson at Bobby Dodd, he said well that was a big win also so that I needed to talk to him after more games. He said he would make it back for the Homecoming game so I will be looking for him after that one as well.

Then I commented that it is so nice to see the offense being run, and especially to see the triple get run in the game, like he used to run it. His eyes lit up and he had a huge grin as he then launched into praising Justin Thomas. He said "I know, and he just looks so calm and collected running it!" He said Thomas is running the option really well but also with incredible poise and confidence so that he is only going to get even better at it. We talked about the Alabama QB connection as well as my opinion that Thomas has a similar style with the media to Tevin. Then I ended the chat by thanking him for his time at Tech as our QB and that he will always be one of my favorite QBs that we had here because he clearly left nothing back and gave it his all and he ran the option and the offense so incredibly well to the best of his abilities.

I meant to ask Tevin about if he ever gets to coach Thomas on how to take hits and go down soft? I think Thomas has done a good job at that so far, at protecting himself so he can pop up and be ready for the next play. But Tevin was a master at it. Since he didn't have the blazing breakaway speed he was pretty much going to get hit or tackled most plays but I was still impressed at his capacity to roll with the punches and play on. Now I need to just ask him that after a big homecoming win!

Tevin is polite and humble, soft-spoken as we all know. But I am telling you that Tevin got clearly so excited about Justin Thomas and how the team is doing. He is still living football vicariously through his love of the Tech program and through his friends still playing on the team. He was out there after the game hanging around to congratulate coaches and players after a big win just like I was.

Tevin is a great Tech man. I didn't go to Tech myself so by that I mean simply that he gave all he had and made me as a fan proud to have him and that he continues to love and support the program. It isn't just consensus All Americans that represent the best of Tech football.

I had a word and heard some nice comments from some others, Derrick Moore, Coach Roof and Pelton, etc. But the Tevin anecdote is most worth sharing because he deserves a pat on the back and thanks for his efforts for Tech football in his own right by having earned it; and secondly, because his enthusiasm for how Thomas is running the offense was contagious and satisfying. If Tevin praises you at running the option then it means you are doing a good job.