Louisville Post Game

• Thread starter Deleted member 2897
  • Start date

jeffgt14

We don't quite suck as much anymore.
Honestly, I’m glad we won, but I really don’t feel any different about GT football than after our two losses. It’s all about turnovers. This was the exact same game as UCF except we got the turnovers that turned it into a win by 20. In reality we all know those were two even teams. Our future is bright because we have a legit P5 QB and Collins will get us players thru recruiting and the portal. Gibbs is the best football player we’ve had on campus since Calvin and it won’t be shocking to see him be the 2nd highest drafted player in GT history.

Our defense is just not ready to be a legit threat yet. They missed at minimum 2 additional TD’s with wide open guys. The 3rd play of the game was a TD and we had no one near him. They exploited our lack of LB play and gashed us up the middle all game. That will only be fixed thru recruiting. They shouldn’t have punted at all because we couldn’t stop them. The only thing that stopped them were turnovers. Our fan base knows what that looks like.

But the worst part of the game by far was the 15 minute shat show of Allison on her 1998 cell phone blathering on and on for 2 entire series. The women didn’t take a breath and nothing she said made any sense. Im pretty even keeled bit that was finger nails on a chalk board.
Every word here describes my exact feelings including the Allison Williams rant. I do think PNude has been a pleasant surprise all year long with how well he has called plays.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
It felt like they kinda gave up mid way through the 4th quarter. The way they were acting on the field and the way their coaches were calling things was pretty strange. If we finished the game like that we would probably be roasting Collins right now.

I don't know about that but if I was getting whacked around like Cunningham, damn if I would buy the offensive line any steak dinners.

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
Just looked at the stats. The stats show that it was a game between two evenly matched teams.
The difference was points off turnovers. 19-0. 19 points was the score difference. Exhibit A as to why turnovers matter so much.

What I told my doubles partner this morning. Think of double faults as turnovers. Damn if he didn't do it again. I felt like Satterfield, I can't serve for him.

MikeGT

Jolly Good Fellow
I was screaming at the TV cause i was so livid that they would SCHEDULE an interview in the middle of the game and just completely ignore what was happening on the field!!! This is something that should have been done at halftime! They often talk about other things going on in the league during games but they always at least pause during plays and discuss what is happening on the field. After that interview I ended up putting it on mute and syncing the radio broadcast.
Did the exact same thing at the time. We usually listen to the streamed radio broadcast, and really like the 'in the booth' view from ramblinwreck.com, but had an issue last game so started the game listening to the tv broadcast. After this crap though...

danny daniel

Helluva Engineer
Agreed. I don’t know if I’ve ever been that frustrated watching a broadcast in my life. I literally muted the tv for like 5 minutes after she had been going for at least 5 minutes.

What made me the most angry was the Harvin seemingly pinned them inside the 5. One of our guys looked like he made a great play to keep the ball from going in the endzone and then two other guys downed it.

We got not replay, no comment, just some woman chatting about a game like it was the most I lost any thing she’s ever talked about without taking a breath. Did anyone else think the Vall should’ve been downed inside the 5 there or am I crazy?

If the ball crosses the goal line it will be ruled a touchback. In watching the replay it seems to me the ball may have crossed the goal, maybe when the second player was hit with it. That was a better call than the opponent's fumble into the end zone and then out of bounds which should have been a touchback and our ball..
Is it the offensive play calling that’s less annoying? Or is it the offense’s ability to execute the plays that are being called that’s less annoying?
Its annoying that we don't commit to moving the sticks in short yardage situations by using our backs and downs. We failed to convert 3 times when we had 2nd and 4, second and 3, and second and 1. That is annoying! I think our OC is commited to calling a play where he thinks we have the mismatch he wants (and I think he is knowledgeable in this regard) but the call seems to not consider down and distance when we need to keep the chains moving. I prefer to keep the ball on O for as much as possible for a variety of sound football reasons and it is annoying when we give up three possessions such as these..

jacket_fan

Ramblin' Wreck
Great victory, and much needed.

As most have mentioned, this game was won on turnovers. L'ville won the stats but lost the game. Great job by the coaches and players to clean this up during the 2 week bye.

I think the short to intermediate passes and especially to backs have been a strength to playcalling. Play to Sims strengths.

In the fourth quarter, Tech seemed to be the stronger more conditioned team.

Another improvement was penalties. Tech won this stat. I recall L'ville punted at 4th and 5. Flags flew and I just knew Tech was going to be called for something. Fortunately, it was a formation penalty on L'ville. That was when I believed Tech could/would win the game.

Sorry but I can't help it. The defensive backfield still needs help. Even with Swilling back (was there even a pass towards Swilling?) there were missed assignments. Is this one phase of the defense where going back to basics and simplicity would help? Are there keys that the players are missing? Not sure, but the secondary is the weakest link in my opinion.

Kudos for the TFLs. But giving up almost 500 yards of offense again shows that Thacker has his work cut out for him.

Looking forward to being at Grant Field for the game Saturday. Will be interesting to see how Tech stands up against the elite Clemson team.

One final question. Does Tech hold the record for the most blocked kicks in a season?

randerto

Jolly Good Fellow
Honestly, I’m glad we won, but I really don’t feel any different about GT football than after our two losses. It’s all about turnovers. This was the exact same game as UCF except we got the turnovers that turned it into a win by 20. In reality we all know those were two even teams. Our future is bright because we have a legit P5 QB and Collins will get us players thru recruiting and the portal. Gibbs is the best football player we’ve had on campus since Calvin and it won’t be shocking to see him be the 2nd highest drafted player in GT history.

Our defense is just not ready to be a legit threat yet. They missed at minimum 2 additional TD’s with wide open guys. The 3rd play of the game was a TD and we had no one near him. They exploited our lack of LB play and gashed us up the middle all game. That will only be fixed thru recruiting. They shouldn’t have punted at all because we couldn’t stop them. The only thing that stopped them were turnovers. Our fan base knows what that looks like.

But the worst part of the game by far was the 15 minute shat show of Allison on her 1998 cell phone blathering on and on for 2 entire series. The women didn’t take a breath and nothing she said made any sense. Im pretty even keeled bit that was finger nails on a chalk board.
I'm with ya on that woman talking over the game for way too long without taking time to breathe. I didn't listen close enough to know what she was talking about - I actually thought there was some kind of TV broadcast audio problem going on. It was like listening to Charlie Brown's teacher... I don't recall hearing something like that on a TV broadcast before. I eventually muted it and listened to the GT radio broadcast - wishing I would have done that much earlier. That was super weird...

Last edited:

Heisman's Ghost

Helluva Engineer
I think someone else may have mentioned it, but I noticed they rolled Carpenter down into the box a lot. Seemed like he took over as the spy for their QB. Curry in comparison ran what looked to be into a deep drop but couldn’t follow him once the play started.

I’m definitely not an expert, but that was one thing that stood out to me. I did see several stunts with the front four late that helped create pressure, but I’m not sure if that’s something we weren’t doing or just didn’t have as much success with earlier because of the threat of run.

Also seemed like the ends did a better job keeping contain and we may have fired the nickel a few times or changed his read because Oliver made some nice TFLs on those stretch plays.
Louisville would have done better to have just quit trying the stretch play, it wasn't working and wasn't going to work. Also, they kept trying to hit Atwell and the other one whose name escapes me on that deep corner route and Cunningham did not have the time to throw the ball. I don't think Louisville is even middle of the pack ACC, near the bottom but better than Syracuse I suppose. The ACC is just a big mess once you get past Clemson, Miami, UNC and maybe Virginia Tech. No one tackles well, no one plays good defense for much more than a quarter and all of them have issues of one kind or another. Sure, they can all move the ball and score in bunches but its been that way in the ACC for a long time now. Really good defensive linemen and linebackers are in short supply for any team not named Clemson and Miami. IIWII

Jacketman99

Ramblin' Wreck
Let's not forget that we caused the turnovers to help win the game. These were not fluke turnovers. Also we still had to capitalize off the turnovers by scoring. Some posts almost make it seem like Louisville gave us the game. No, we earned it. Yes, we need to improve on stopping people but creating turnovers is a goal of every defense.

Gtswifty81

Jolly Good Fellow
I'm not convinced that Louisville won the stats. But hey we did punt 5 times and they never punted...

/
I’m not convinced Louisville won the stat game either. I haven’t seen the final line but I would guess we had much better avg starting field position especially in the second half. So many games over the last few years we have been on the wrong end of that stat or we needed a spectacular game by Harvin to keep it close.

Outside of Louisville’s first punt that pinned us back, we had good starting field position. I’d guess Tech’s average was 15 yards better than Louisville which more than makes up for Louisville having 21 more yards gained than Tech. Louisville also had 23 more penalty yards than Tech.

Yaller Jacket

Ramblin' Wreck
I have some things I liked and didn't like just like others. But I'm just gonna say how grateful I am to have a fun and exciting team to follow this year. Sims and the talented and deep backs and receivers in particular. Musing about when Mason will be back or how we can improve the pass rush is a great change after months of obsessing about politics, the virus, and the market.

85Escape

Helluva Engineer
There were two primary views they showed. The first was from behind the endzone looking out and you can see that the player loses control of the ball as he is stretching out for the endzone. The issue with that view is there is no way to tell where the ball is in relation to the plane of the endzone.
The second view was from the sideline looking directly down the goal-line. This view should have provided the exact position of the ball at the time he loses control and determine if he still had possession as it crossed the plane. The issue with this view is that the line judge was standing right at the pylon and completely blocked the view of the ball.
There was no view that definitively showed that he lost the ball BEFORE breaking the plane.

It seemed pretty clear to me from the angles we were shown that he fumbled the ball. But it took two synchronized camera angles to prove it. If you freeze the sideline and overhead angles at the point where his foot is seen to be clearly inbounds, you see that he is not down yet from one angle and that the ball is leaving his hand from the other angle. I'm very surprised that they don't use multiple monitors to view every camera angle in a time-synchronized way. So either they are stupid for not having that capability or they are incompetent for not seeing the truth if they had it. Either way, it provides more evidence for my bias that only losers end up being refs in college sports. :)

Jacket05

Ramblin' Wreck
It seemed pretty clear to me from the angles we were shown that he fumbled the ball. But it took two synchronized camera angles to prove it. If you freeze the sideline and overhead angles at the point where his foot is seen to be clearly inbounds, you see that he is not down yet from one angle and that the ball is leaving his hand from the other angle. I'm very surprised that they don't use multiple monitors to view every camera angle in a time-synchronized way. So either they are stupid for not having that capability or they are incompetent for not seeing the truth if they had it. Either way, it provides more evidence for my bias that only losers end up being refs in college sports. :)
They do review every angle and can sync it. Like I have said before, the reply showed that he was not down or out of bounds before he lost the ball as you stated. However there were no angles down the goal line to determine if the ball crossed the plane before he lost control. So according to the review it was either a touchdown or a touchback but since there was no clear evidence to determine which one the play had to stand as called.

Oldgoldandwhite

Helluva Engineer
Great team win. The Defense came up big.
With that said, plenty of room for improvement:
Special teams. Have they ever been this bad?
3rd and long. Seems like this has been a problem for decades.
Better blocking. Every team could say that.