Louisville, anyone?

What will our record be against Louisville this weekend?

• 3-0, here we go!

Votes: 3 12.5%
  • 2-1, have some fun

Votes: 5 20.8%
  • 1-2, makes me blue

Votes: 10 41.7%
  • 0-3, woe is me

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters

senoiajacket

Helluva Engineer
Anybody want to talk about this series? No game notes posted yet. Guess everyone is busy finishing off their brackets.

I don’t have any comments except Louisville has played some good competition and appear to be really good, and I think at this point, barring getting our injured pitchers back, we pretty much know what we are.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I was going to review and post but life (and a dental crown) got in the way. I think we are most likely to take 1, then 0, then 2, then 3.

L'Ville is 3rd in ACC batting, 4th in pitching and 4th in fielding so they are much more balanced and better than we are on paper. Maybe why D1 ranks them 8th and only behind Wake (4th) in the ACC. We won't be ranked till we start taking series from top 25 ranked teams.

Biggest thing about this series is how cold it will be. @CINCYMETJACKET will be glad to tell us how cold.

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
Saturday's game by TBD is going to be a joy. Below 40F and a lot of wind.

Is the baseball tradition to play games in these conditions worth it?

1679004593483.png

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I chose 1-2 here. For the ACC season record poll thread that @GTNavyNuke started, my guess was 0-3 this weekend to eventually get us to 15-15. I hope I was wrong about the 0-3 earlier and hope we can pick up at least 1 this weekend, but it's more hope than anything that would change my earlier prediction of 0-3.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer
I was going to review and post but life (and a dental crown) got in the way. I think we are most likely to take 1, then 0, then 2, then 3.

L'Ville is 3rd in ACC batting, 4th in pitching and 4th in fielding so they are much more balanced and better than we are on paper. Maybe why D1 ranks them 8th and only behind Wake (4th) in the ACC. We won't be ranked till we start taking series from top 25 ranked teams.

Biggest thing about this series is how cold it will be. @CINCYMETJACKET will be glad to tell us how cold.
Loaded all my cold weather gear in the car for this one! Heavy jacket, long underwear, flannel lined pants, boots, ski socks. Hopefully less wind than opening day, so not quite as cold. I think it was a consistent 20 to 30 mph wind that night.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
Above post came from my Google search for “bat warmers.”

I don’t know anything about whether such bat warmers are legal or not. Does anyone know?

Also, related: are the baseballs warmed through warming devices for use in games that are played below, like say, 50 degrees Fahrenheit? Legal or illegal?

Reason I ask is because in very cold weather, cold dense baseballs put dents in aluminum bats.

CINCYMETJACKET

Helluva Engineer

I don’t know anything about whether such bat warmers are legal or not. Does anyone know?

Also, related: are the baseballs warmed through warming devices for use in games that are played below, like say, 50 degrees Fahrenheit? Legal or illegal?

Reason I ask is because in very cold weather, cold dense baseballs put dents in aluminum bats.
I have no idea about bat or baseball warmers. All I know is that the pitchers fingers will be f'ing cold. And they're the ones that will have to try to grip a baseball and throw it they way they want. Good luck to them. Let's go Jackets!

GTNavyNuke

Helluva Engineer
Featured Member
I have no idea about bat or baseball warmers. All I know is that the pitchers fingers will be f'ing cold. And they're the ones that will have to try to grip a baseball and throw it they way they want. Good luck to them. Let's go Jackets!

Hand, feet and bun warmers probably more germane.

Is it legal to shave or roll your bat?

FittedJacket

Jolly Good Fellow
Hand, feet and bun warmers probably more germane.

Is it legal to shave or roll your bat?
This is illegal. Essentially bat rolling is the artificial process of thinning the ”walls” of a bat so as to create more of a “trampoline“ effect when the ball collides with the bat. It also affects the “PSI” of a bat. This is why Tennessee was scrutinized when one of their bats had a sticker that fell off while a batter was in the batters box. Each team has a machine that tests the other teams bat prior to a series starting and places a “sticker” on the tested bat certifying that it was within the proper “PSI” ranges. From experience you would basically need a razor blade to get a sticker off of a bat making it highly unlikely it would just fall off from normal use. You can read about the UT bat incident online. Essentially the NCAA doesn’t care. Rolling a bat does make it weaker and especially in cold weather (under 60 degrees) makes it more susceptible to actually breaking. A properly ”rolled“ bat could increase a “Batted“ balls‘ distance around an additional 25 feet. My disclaimer is I’m not an engineer like some of you 🤣 And this is a cursory answer.

GTRambler

Helluva Engineer
My son-in-law (a Division Iii baseball coach) texted me this morning: they do not use bat warmers and baseball warmers.

That’s all he said. He did not give any details nor additional information.

Buzz_404

Jolly Good Fellow
Loaded all my cold weather gear in the car for this one! Heavy jacket, long underwear, flannel lined pants, boots, ski socks. Hopefully less wind than opening day, so not quite as cold. I think it was a consistent 20 to 30 mph wind that night.
I’m up here in louisville as well, going to the Louisville Slugger Museum this morning and the weather is horrid, cold and damp 🥶

CTJacket

Ramblin' Wreck

My first thought when I hear bat warmers is 'hats for bats, keep bats warm'
major league kiss GIF

Killerbees🐝

Georgia Tech Fan
I hated watching the inconsistent calls behind the plate. That was tough. I would still like to see Finley as our Friday night guy. He gives us the best chance to win and we have a full pen behind him. Win game 1 and game 3 becomes relevant regardless of game 2 outcome (series win or sweep)